Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 01:18 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,035,606 times

Advertisements

Agreed Cricket, those people who say they are happy 100% of the time might have some sort of imbalance...and indeed may be more depressed then what is displayed.

Still, i believe that there are those people who taught themselves to see the brighter side of the stresses within their lives..

The subject of death of a loved one is a good study...Many people fear it and turn celebrating someones life into a real downer..

There are others who look at something like this subjectively..and say to themselves " Yes..im sad at this loss..but i know that x person has moved onto a better place..and that they lived a good life, and would not want to see me torn apart"..

These are the people who have taught themselves the reality that nothing is forever and instead of becoming overly depressed, choose to celebrate the person..even though there are tears, and the feeling of loss..These people see the positive beyond that which is negative at the moment and are better able to move on with their lives afterwords...To these people, though the person who has passed is no longer present..they are still around..so there is no reason to act as though they will never see that person ever again..or what ever..

I myself would rather see everyone celebrating my life.. relaxed and laughing about some of the funny moments instead of being unable to handle the loss..yes, id hope that they would grieve..but still remain positive...

Death should only be a tradgity when it is..and even then, there is always something positive to be learned...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 05:01 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
People that are happy all of the time are usually acting.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:19 PM

378 posts, read 1,063,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Are you or do you know people who are always happy?
Whats the secret? Are they to goofy to understand reality?
I know people who are broke are in bad relationships and they still have the big smile on their face.
My son's teacher is the happiest person I've ever seen, a constant huge smile and perky, about everything. You could tell her the world is ending and she would say "Isn't that fantastic"
Well, I am usually always happy now. It is certainly not because I am out of touch with reality but because I have had severe doses of reality including: nasty divorce, bankruptcy, someone I love going to prison ( yea, they did wrong and learned from it and it was not a violent crime, it was drugs but it was still very hard on me). They got out and are very productive today- a wonderful person and I am very glad I stuck by them through it. I work in health care and see people dying every day. The reality of it is I've learned is that we all have it very good no matter what our situation is if we have our health. A person who is perfectly healthy is the richest person in the world really. I have great health and despite all the stuff that may seem adverse to me I realize that there are many worse off. Plus I played a part in the adverse happenings in my life I am not a victim but part of what caused the problem and I learned valuable lessons. I am very thankful for everything after having lost material stuff and seeing those without physical health. Also I don't think people necessarily appreciate what they have until they know what it is like to lose it as far as material stuff goes- I know I didn't before. Therefore I am really blissfully happy and thankful as now I am healthy and still have a great job in this economy and can pay the rent and my bills. Plus the person I love is home with me and I get to share my life with them everyday. So yes I am one of those people who is happy all the time and that is why.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:29 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
I have a patient who is the sweetest little person that you ever met!
She`s always smiling, good spirited. I have never seen her down, until the other day. Out of nowhere, she just burst out crying! I hugged her, and talked to her. It lasted a total of maybe 5 minites, then she dried her eyes, and started smiling again! Amazing what some will hide underneath the happiness!

Old 11-26-2009, 06:48 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Amazing what some will hide underneath the happiness!
Yep! I guess they're "considerate"... The rest of us "inconvenience" the others with our unhappiness. Truth be told, though, more often I go for sarcasm, but not for true revelations per se...

Old 11-26-2009, 06:53 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Are you or do you know people who are always happy?
Whats the secret? Are they to goofy to understand reality?
I know people who are broke are in bad relationships and they still have the big smile on their face.
My son's teacher is the happiest person I've ever seen, a constant huge smile and perky, about everything. You could tell her the world is ending and she would say "Isn't that fantastic"
Let's see, I realized that while my family was going to hell in a handbasket (alcoholism, cancer, lost income, suicide attempts, actual suicide) that things could be a lot worse. That in fact, the facades that we all put up was in fact the biggest stressor.

From then on, I decided F-it. Life goes on as long as I have my health. The family member that took their own life did realize how beautiful life is. My dad, though still struggling with alcoholism, realizes that that killing himself isn't the best solution.

Happiness isn't about smiles or laughter; it's about self realization and putting into perspective the situation around you.

My friends and family commented on how I always used to smile. Now I smile less often, but am more happy.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:14 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
I am not always happy, but I usually try to appear happy....to those outside my home. There is enough sadness in the world and enough people complaining incessantly about little nothings, to last a lifetime. I read somewhere that "Complaining can become a way of bragging about how much we can handle." I know that can be tough to understand, but really, some people are just like that. Some people never have anything positive to say. I don't want to be that kind of a person, so I don't hang around with people who are like that. I used to....I used to think that spending time with people like that might show them that, even though terrible things have happened to me, I still try to keep a positive outlook on life. Unfortunately, you can only spend just so much time around people like that without that attitude rubbing off on YOU. I CHOOSE to spend my time with those who smile more.... Once you get to know those people and they realize that they can trust you, believe me, you find out real quick that they're not always happy. They just don't want to burden those around them. I respect that. It's been said here.....your outlook is your choice. You can't choose how your day is going to go. You can't choose whether or not bad things will happen to you, but you can choose your attitude about those things. I'm sorry, and I know this might sound cynical to some, but if you're whining your butt off because something little happened and it's the end of the world..... perhaps you've just been so darn lucky/blessed....and you have nothing catastrophic to base your good/bad balance on. Do I have situations or frustrations in my life? You bet I do, but I have also had some horrible things happen in my life and my "todays" bad times are NOTHING compared to the past ones. Therefore, they are to be thrown over my shoulder and forgotten.....just simple little temporary setbacks. After all, if I survived those horrible times...I'm certainly going to make it through these!

Old 11-26-2009, 07:32 PM

167 posts, read 597,626 times
Happiness is a choice, a person chooses to be happy, or chooses to be unhappy without taking action to change their circumstance. You have a choice, accept life for what it is, change it if you decide it is necessary, or be unhappy. It has nothing to do with being dumb or oblivious, in fact it is quite the opposite. You can't control everything around you in life, the only thing you can control is how you respond to what happens in your life. I think it also has to do with being resilient and also being comfortable in your own skin. As a result, you don't need to look at others and think 'why don't I have that'. You are happy with what you have and who you are, and not jealous of those around you who are happy.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:55 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
It's all in the attitude. Personally, to me, nothing can ever get me down ( even if it does get to me, it stops three or 4 notches away from my brains). All my terrible miseries are in the past and I have grown out of it.

I have tons of stuff. I work out like a mad guy.

Then, I am a few phone calls away from a 20-headcount party or I can always find crazy guys who can play cricket or field hockey.

Or, I just pull my work laptop out and start working on my portfolios with loud music.

Or, I just drive around the city.

Other times, I help. I'm a member of countless charities and even today I'm gonna go help distribute food for thanksgiving.

I just have too many things to do
U-turn

I called some bastards to play some hockey today afternoon, they said it's "cold" outside but I'm most welcome to join for beer. Gee, thanks!

Old 11-26-2009, 08:03 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
they said it's "cold" outside but I'm most welcome to join for beer. Gee, thanks!
Go for the beer!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships