Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 09:37 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,626,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
What about true satisfaction from life? What about having the ability to not sweat the small things? Or the resilience to go on? That's what true happiness is. It's not smilling 24/7, but rather how to handle the complex emotions of sadness, despair, anger, etc. It's about staying strong.

Obviously nobody is happy literally 24/7, but some people exhibit other emotions A LOT more. Some people fester in anger, or fall into depression. Rather than realize that those situations will pass, they decide to take indulge the situation.
You're preaching to the choir.

We are not talking about true satisfaction in life and what each of our definitions of it is - mine will vary from yours and so forth. I am happy and content in life, but like the majority of people [keyword: majority], I am comfortable in showing that I have many other facets, unlike those who are not at such a comfort level with themselves and concentrate too much on what others will think of them. We are talking about a select few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 09:40 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,584,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
hmmm.... but others don't act to placate you, do they?
Boy....placate is an awful fancy" word.
Your on a public forum, talking about people who are happy all the time, not about a "learn a word a day dictionary..Yikes!!!

Old 11-27-2009, 09:52 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,504,322 times
It used to be that people who were happy generally went to bars after work. Today, happy people are on bars all day.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:19 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,769,265 times
i think some people just block things out as if they aren't happening because they have no control over it anyways so why let those things bring them down

Old 11-28-2009, 02:00 AM

216 posts, read 666,751 times
I consider myself an optimistic, but can't get my "arms around" people who appear happy all of the time. In this case, I'm a bit cynical and think that perhaps they appear that way in public. I don't think it's possible to be happy all of the time in ones' life.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:40 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,368,126 times
I've known different types of happy people.

1.) The kind that are too sensitive to want others to know they are in pain. They try to be everyone's strenght and don't want to bring anybody down. But if you become a really good intimate friend, they will show you they are actually very hurt over some things.

2.) The kind that was told by his or her parents that men don't cry or that women should always smile.

3.) The kind that is envious of everyone else and wants to appear that nothing bothers her, or him. That they are having the grand time of their life, while you cry because something is wrong. They take pleasure in your pain and will always act like their life is better than yours, though that is impossible, because they want your life.

Maybe there's more, but these are the types i've known...

Old 11-28-2009, 11:01 AM

297 posts, read 897,022 times
#3 sounds interesting. Don't you think that applies to each and every one of us on this forum?

Old 11-28-2009, 11:32 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,879,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Are you or do you know people who are always happy?
Whats the secret? Are they to goofy to understand reality?
I know people who are broke are in bad relationships and they still have the big smile on their face.
My son's teacher is the happiest person I've ever seen, a constant huge smile and perky, about everything. You could tell her the world is ending and she would say "Isn't that fantastic"
Red Bull.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:38 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,879,979 times
^No seriously,

I would say that it is a person with a great personality.

You know, I think the people that can control their anger or keep a smile to confront a bad situation are very strong.

Short tempered, short fused people are very weak.

I often say that if you can keep calm under a trying situation you are a very strong individual that should be commended and praised.

Like a mother with 5 screaming little rug rats that are tearing up a store and they are able to calmly express their disappointment in their conduct. Wheewww. Hats off to the calm mothers of the world who can maintain their love in a calm way without raising their voice.

Moment of silence....

Thanks.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:39 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,686,077 times
You know, I was looking back a few of the posts here...and something that struck me as incredibly ironic is the responses in relation to the original title. People who are happy ALL the time. Hmmm my question here is this, "Are you around these people ALL the time?" "Do you live with these people, eat with these people, sit and watch television with these people, go shopping with these people?" Isn't it a bit presumtuous (sp?) to assume that the people you are referring to are happy ALL the time.....when you likely are only around them SOMEtimes...at best, 1/3 of their day? I'm quite sure that if you spent more time around them, you would most assuredly discover that they are NOT happy all of the time. Sorry, just an observation....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships