Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 09:50 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Whose word?
Annika08, amanda, redvelvet, me, whoever's been posting that any guy can be creepy, looks are irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 09:56 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Annika08, amanda, redvelvet, me, whoever's been posting that any guy can be creepy, looks are irrelevant.
OK. I guess we'll have to start a tally then. Because it sounded like you were trying to present your opinion as the opinion of all women.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
OK. I guess we'll have to start a tally then. Because it sounded like you were trying to present your opinion as the opinion of all women.
No, I didn't mean it that way. I meant; take "our" word for it, those of us who are saying looks don't factor into the creepiness issue.
Anyway, he can see that there are diverging opinions.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:28 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,981,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlilac View Post
I don't use the word "creepy" to describe people. I have, however, used it extensively to describe a type of eel I saw while staying in Bahamas. (Google "moray eel", but be warned)
moray eel - Google Search

Awesome.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:04 AM

810 posts, read 1,808,511 times
As a guy, this is a topic that truly intrigues me, maybe a little more than it should.

While there are many instances of "creepy" being solely a body-language/vibe thing, I think the ladies on this topic are doing a great disservice by denying the contribution that looks bring toward whether a guy is perceived. I have seen that numerous times on fitness forums when the topic was about men approaching them in the gym; if the guy is not attractive, he is intrusive and creepy. If the guy is built and tall, it would be flattering and empowering.

As a guy, I think the best thing you can do is to make sure you keep a well-kept appearance and approach with confidence. There will always be women who will find you creepy no matter what you do or how you look, for either giving off a certain vibe or just because they think you are unattractive. It's only human nature, but that shouldn't be an excuse for treating a guy like dirt just because he isn't "attractive" or comes across as socially awkward.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:25 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
As a guy, this is a topic that truly intrigues me, maybe a little more than it should.

While there are many instances of "creepy" being solely a body-language/vibe thing, I think the ladies on this topic are doing a great disservice by denying the contribution that looks bring toward whether a guy is perceived. I have seen that numerous times on fitness forums when the topic was about men approaching them in the gym; if the guy is not attractive, he is intrusive and creepy. If the guy is built and tall, it would be flattering and empowering.

As a guy, I think the best thing you can do is to make sure you keep a well-kept appearance and approach with confidence. There will always be women who will find you creepy no matter what you do or how you look, for either giving off a certain vibe or just because they think you are unattractive. It's only human nature, but that shouldn't be an excuse for treating a guy like dirt just because he isn't "attractive" or comes across as socially awkward.
Most of the time for me, it's a behavior thing. If someone is overly charming, overly polite, overly sweet, invading my personal space, brings up sex too early and too casually, that's what gives me the "creep vibe". etc. If they seem completely uninhibited even upon first meeting me, that sends me the message "creepy". If their intentions really aren't creepy, they seriously need to change their approach so they don't come off as such. Sometimes it's a result of a cross-cultural miscommunication and in that case, the person in question has to work on acculturating themselves. And some people on the autism spectrum can come off as creepy without intending to. In that case they also need to learn the "neurotypical laws of the land" if they don't want to be misread.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:16 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Just saw this this morning: Why Guys Really Hate Being Called 'Creepy'

Quote:
Though the word may be occasionally used unfairly (for example, to describe a physically unattractive guy's genuinely respectful attempt at striking up a conversation), "creepy" serves a vital function. No other word is as effective as describing when a man has crossed a woman's boundary; no other word forces a man to reflect on how his behavior makes other people feel. A guy can disprove accusations of being weak by displaying strength (often in foolish ways.) But a guy can only disprove the charge of creepiness by fundamentally altering his behavior to be more genuinely respectful of women.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
if the guy is not attractive, he is intrusive and creepy. If the guy is built and tall, it would be flattering and empowering.
No. A good-looking guy can still be creepy. (I had to report one to his supervisor once.) If there's something really "off" about his vibe, his demeanor, or as someone said above, if he's too flattering or comes across like there's a hidden agenda, if he's not genuine, or if he clearly has boundary issues, gets in your face or asks questions that are too personal right off the bat, any number of behaviors can send the signal "creepy". And if a woman isn't careful about some of these types, the situation can escalate, and get very weird very fast.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:10 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
I would recommend we do a ladies poll on here on which guys fit the "Creepy" label...

but I'm sure I don't want to know who's in the top 10.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:52 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,508,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That might be due to the physical power differential between men and women. Women have more to worry about when inappropriate attention gets paid them. And when a woman does harass a guy, the guy just calls her "crazy". Whatever. :-/
There are women who are stronger then men physically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships