Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 08:39 PM

23 posts, read 25,989 times

Advertisements

So the short version is I met this guy we dated, had relations with one another, but because life got in the way and I didn't feel that certain needs were being met by this person I broke up with him. I knew that he was upset by this and I really didn't want to lose him as a friend. After some deep conversations we were able to salvage our friendship. Things were going great, then one day it was like well I am not seeing any and your not seeing one so we managed to meet our physical needs and remain friends. Which was also going great. Now I am ready to start dating, but I don't think this guy only wants to be friends. There were reasons that it didn't work out before and I don't think that they are going to change.

My question is this, how do I let him know that I am interested in someone else and that I am ready to start dating seriously? How do I keep him as a friend because that is the most important thing to me? I would rather have his friendship then not have it and be dating someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 08:53 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,344,116 times
If he's a true friend he will understand and move on. He obviously has feelings for you and unless you let him know and break it down to him, I see him becoming obsessed with you and making this a miserable friendship, if that's what you wanna call it.
Make it clear both of you are free to see/date other people and if he doesn't like the idea then sucks to be him.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:05 PM

I would really like to avoid all the nasty drama stuff, and I am not sure that he thinks that we are only friends. All I can say is when we "broke up" he said that he wasn't ready for a girlfriend or all the stuff that comes with it. I told him then that a friendship was much more important to me then anything else.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:30 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,414,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamedharma View Post
So the short version is I met this guy we dated, had relations with one another, but because life got in the way and I didn't feel that certain needs were being met by this person I broke up with him. I knew that he was upset by this and I really didn't want to lose him as a friend. After some deep conversations we were able to salvage our friendship. Things were going great, then one day it was like well I am not seeing any and your not seeing one so we managed to meet our physical needs and remain friends. Which was also going great. Now I am ready to start dating, but I don't think this guy only wants to be friends. There were reasons that it didn't work out before and I don't think that they are going to change.

My question is this, how do I let him know that I am interested in someone else and that I am ready to start dating seriously? How do I keep him as a friend because that is the most important thing to me? I would rather have his friendship then not have it and be dating someone else.
Look, you created this toxic soup, now you're going to have to eat it too.

There is no "gentle" way of doing this. Thing is, just because you wanted your "needs" met, you ended up putting this guy in a situation that is going to hurt him. You're not going to be able to avoid the drama, in fact, you're probably going to be able to make a pretty good soap-opera out of this.

The whole FWB thing never really works.. someone always gets hurt. That's just the bottom line. Better just to tell him and get it over with now.. just watch out for the fireworks.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:47 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,381,640 times
Quote:
........ I would rather have his friendship then not have it and be dating someone else.
You are giving yourself an unrealistic ultimatum. Your definition of being "friends" is obviously different than his. You have already spun his head around once by going back and forth between friendship and intimacy.
If you really want to ONLY be friends, then tell him this, hope he accepts it, and make it an ironclad rule not to share sex with him in the future.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBlasphemy View Post
Look, you created this toxic soup, now you're going to have to eat it too.

There is no "gentle" way of doing this. Thing is, just because you wanted your "needs" met, you ended up putting this guy in a situation that is going to hurt him. You're not going to be able to avoid the drama, in fact, you're probably going to be able to make a pretty good soap-opera out of this.

The whole FWB thing never really works.. someone always gets hurt. That's just the bottom line. Better just to tell him and get it over with now.. just watch out for the fireworks.
Ok so there is no toxic soup. BTW, he is the one that said he didn't want to have a girlfriend, and I am the one that said my intellectual needs are not being met. So we are still on that same page. There is no drama, no silly **** going on. We have remained completely civil and kinda caring towards the others feelings. Although I do have to tell him to man up and be honest every once in a while because he doesn't want to hurt my feelings, boo hoo. My questions has still not been answered. We both like each other, we are friendly towards each other, we both know that we are going to die one day, so why not get laid in the process that part is between him and I. But at some point in my life I know that I am going to want the emotional and intellectual needs that this particular fellow can not seem to meet will need to be met. I just want opinions about how to tell him that I am going on a date with someone else, without sounding uncaring for him.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
If he's a true friend he will understand and move on. He obviously has feelings for you and unless you let him know and break it down to him, I see him becoming obsessed with you and making this a miserable friendship, if that's what you wanna call it.
Make it clear both of you are free to see/date other people and if he doesn't like the idea then sucks to be him.
Thanks, that's what I needed to hear.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:28 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,790,307 times
Just let him know that you enjoy his friendship and respect him as a friend, and the sex was fun, but you are ready to pursue something more serious and that the two of you aren't very compatible in that regard. Like Cat said, if he's a real friend he'll understand. It may sting a little, but he should be able to handle it like an adult. If not, then that will only reinforce your judgment and choice to move on.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:59 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,414,550 times
Quote:
Ok so there is no toxic soup. BTW, he is the one that said he didn't want to have a girlfriend, and I am the one that said my intellectual needs are not being met. So we are still on that same page. There is no drama, no silly **** going on. We have remained completely civil and kinda caring towards the others feelings. Although I do have to tell him to man up and be honest every once in a while because he doesn't want to hurt my feelings, boo hoo. My questions has still not been answered. We both like each other, we are friendly towards each other, we both know that we are going to die one day, so why not get laid in the process that part is between him and I. But at some point in my life I know that I am going to want the emotional and intellectual needs that this particular fellow can not seem to meet will need to be met. I just want opinions about how to tell him that I am going on a date with someone else, without sounding uncaring for him.
The soup is still on the stove, so to speak. Thing is, I haven't ever met anyone who has been in your situation where it hasn't turned into a disaster.

Look at things in black and white here for a second.

He cared deeply for you, but he wasn't what you wanted. So, you broke up with him but remained friends with him. Time goes on, and now you two decided to sleep together so that at least your physical needs were met. Now, you're contemplating seriously dating again.

Now look at things from his standpoint. He cares deeply for you. When you broke up with him, it hurt him. But, since he was so infatuated with you, or in love with you, or whatever, he rationalized that having you as a friend would be better than not having you at all. He probably was thinking that if you two stayed friends, that one day you would go back to him. So, time passes, and you two start sleeping together. To him, this is just one more step in getting you back.. I don't care what he says to you: He'll say anything to keep you from leaving again. But, inwardly, he's still hurting. He's probably ecstatic that you two are semi-together, and he's hoping that it will become more than that.

This is the toxic soup that I speak of..

Now, thing is, you're going to hurt him no matter how you tell him. He's going to feel abandoned - again, and yes, that hurts.

So, to answer your question: The best way to tell him is just simply to tell him. Let him know that you still care about him, and that you consider him your best friend.. Then tell him that you feel that it's time to move on, that you don't want him to get hurt by all of this.

Either he'll understand or he won't. It's just a chance that you have to take.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:55 PM

Just to let you know I was asked on a date last night and I went. I told the friend about it and he was like so when can we hang out. Everything is still all good. : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships