Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 01:37 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Lol...I know you're trying to make him feel better, but there are actually people out there who can work 80 to 120 hour work weeks who are not being 'influenced' by others...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 02:15 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,547,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You actually answered your own question without realizing it.

Your wife spends nearly 2/3 of her life at work. She is surrounded by people who are exerting an extraordinary influence on her. Most likely, there are women there (her "friends") who are divorced and who tout the popular culture, materialistic lifestyle as being a better lifestyle. To them MONEY *is* everything because they are incapable of having a satisfying relationship with a man, so they are substituting. They "blame" men for their unhappiness because they cannot support them in the fashion that they "deserve", so they are losers.

Your wife has fallen victim to outside influences and it has ruined your marriage. I have seen it happen so many times.

Women so rarely put their husband and their marriage first in their hearts any more. Instead of turning to you as her best friend and confidant, she choose the women that she works with and they have led her astray.

If it is any consolation, know that she will never be happy on this path. All of the money, and the material objects, etc., only make you feel more empty. Eventually, she will see the error of her ways and regret her decision. But by then it will be too late.
You know I think you might have something there. Apparently she is afraid of having a tombstone that says "I wish I'd spent more time at the office."

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lol...I know you're trying to make him feel better, but there are actually people out there who can work 80 to 120 hour work weeks who are not being 'influenced' by others...
So you think but really the whole of society has already affected them. They might not be affected by the people at work because they are ALREADY affected. You can paint an orange wall with another coat of orange paint. It doesn't matter when it became orange. You have an ugly wall either way. Every workaholic who devotes more time to their job than their family most definitely affects their family in negative ways. It always leads to neglect. It's so bad an epidemic these days it's practically a Hollywood cliche.

Last edited by smartalx; 12-03-2009 at 02:26 PM..

Old 12-03-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
You know I think you might have something there. Apparently she is afraid of having a tombstone that says "I wish I'd spent more time at the office."

So you think but really the whole of society has already affected them. They might not be affected by the people at work because they are ALREADY affected. You can paint an orange wall with another coat of orange paint. It doesn't matter when it became orange. You have an ugly wall either way. Every workaholic who devotes more time to their job than their family most definitely affects their family in negative ways. It always leads to neglect. It's so bad an epidemic these days it's practically a Hollywood cliche.
No. Generalizations like these are what's cliche.

What's important will be important because you make it important. Working hard or a lot of hours does not automatically lead to neglect. I can quote you dozens of examples of people who work many hours and have loving, committed relationships...and make their family a priority, as well.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:43 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,218,834 times
buy a gps

Old 12-03-2009, 05:45 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
I would agree, but you have to admit, anyone working those kinds of hours is NOT spending quality time with their loved ones

Old 12-03-2009, 07:37 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Well, from what I have heard from the OP, they sure aren't exchanging apple pie recipes, now are they?

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-04-2009, 06:50 AM

I would agree, but you have to admit, anyone working those kinds of hours is NOT spending quality time with their loved ones

No, I don't. I worked more than that for years, and every extra second I had, I would devote to my 'loved one' so that our relationship wouldn't suffer. Even when I was at work, I would take time to call and check in, flirt text, etc. We would visit each other at work and take each other lunch.

Not to mention, I know husbands and wives who work 40 hour weeks who STILL don't spend any time together (even if one of them stays at home) because they have so many separate interests. Or people who come home and sit in front of the tv together with their separate laptops...are they having quality time?

One does not guarantee the other.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:03 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
not necessarily.
i'm a parcel driver, in the run up to christmas, it's our busiest time of the year.

we work 13+ hours per day for 6 days a week, from the start of october, to new year.
often 12 hours on a sunday too.

however, i still try hard to make time to spend with my girlfriend, even if it's only an hour or two before bed.
i also try to make time for my access visits to my son.

it depends on how much you WANT to make time.

Quote:

Old 12-04-2009, 07:49 AM

138 posts, read 285,432 times
Sorry to hear that !!

But im glad i lost mine !!!!

Old 12-04-2009, 07:51 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
yeah, i hear you !!

at the time, i was devastated, but it all seems to have worked out in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowfish View Post
Sorry to hear that !!

But im glad i lost mine !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships