Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 04:09 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times

Advertisements

Most on going sexual affairs are just a symptom of something else going on deeper on an emotional level in the relationship or marriage. Typically, (not always) it has nothing to do with sex but the lack of an emotional connection and closeness with another person unrelated to sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 04:18 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Most on going sexual affairs are just a symptom of something else going on deeper on an emotional level in the relationship or marriage. Typically, (not always) it has nothing to do with sex but the lack of an emotional connection and closeness with another person unrelated to sex.
I can agree with this. It fits with my experience well. At the early college days, I was unaware of what a relationship (for me) needed to be.

Now that I have been married for close to 10 years, it all makes sense. My husband is 100% to me, he really does complete me, both emotionally and physically. If he wanted to have a girl friend to hang out with, it would signal something is lacking in our relationship.

And before you flame, yes I do expect to be everything to this one man. As does he expect me to be his everything as well. After 10 years he doesn't feel isolated or smothered, so again...to each their own.

the key here, for us anyways, is that we're happy and secure in ourselves first, before we can expect to be happy and secure with each other.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:37 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlakat View Post
I can agree with this. It fits with my experience well. At the early college days, I was unaware of what a relationship (for me) needed to be.

Now that I have been married for close to 10 years, it all makes sense. My husband is 100% to me, he really does complete me, both emotionally and physically. If he wanted to have a girl friend to hang out with, it would signal something is lacking in our relationship.

And before you flame, yes I do expect to be everything to this one man. As does he expect me to be his everything as well. After 10 years he doesn't feel isolated or smothered, so again...to each their own.

the key here, for us anyways, is that we're happy and secure in ourselves first, before we can expect to be happy and secure with each other.

Good.
That is how all marriages and relationships should be.
Too bad we live in a reality that is resultant from uncontrolled , warlike thought.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:53 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,617 times
I would wonder if you are having all of these "emotions" with sombody else than why are you with me?
Why not just be with her and set me free?
The emotions are the best part!
Would you want your wife to have all of her emotions going to somebody else?
You work all day, do everything for her and she is all emotional about the guy next door..

Old 12-02-2009, 04:54 AM

865 posts, read 2,431,991 times
I think the term became more popular once we had easier ways of communicating with others, while being able to keep those communications hidden from our SO. For ex, when I was a kid, there were only corded land lines, so if either of my parents had wanted to talk to someone without the other's knowledge, it would've been difficult.

Now, with IM, texting, FB, emails.....it's ridiculously easy to have conversations with people from anywhere in the world, without your SO knowing.

Anything that you would say to another, that you wouldn't want your SO other to here, is a form of cheating. If you find yourself getting emotionally involved with someone, from all your chats etc, you are having an emotional affair.

I don't see why you object to the term. Seems pretty obvious to me why it's used now.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:55 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I would wonder if you are having all of these "emotions" with sombody else than why are you with me?
Why not just be with her and set me free?
The emotions are the best part!
Would you want your wife to have all of her emotions going to somebody else?
You work all day, do everything for her and she is all emotional about the guy next door..
And things like this ruin it for the decent ones of both genders.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:18 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
That sentiment of someone being 100% everything to me, or worse yet me being 100% everything to them is scary. What happens when that person is not around? Do you sink into depression? Do you stop living? My wife is the biggest part of my life, but she is not my life. Her happiness and well being is my top priority, but I do have friends I talk to and hang out with outside of her.

My wife actually was 100% dependent on me when we first got together, voluntarily withdrawing herself from her friends I had to encourage her to go out and do things without me. With my line of work can keep me away from home. I've been gone for as long as 7 months. I've been married for 7.5 years. My wife does have males among her friends, and i have females among mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlakat View Post

Old 12-02-2009, 07:18 AM

19,635 posts, read 12,226,539 times
If I talk to friends about things, I can still talk to my partner too. It's not like I'm emotionally drained because I shared some feelings with other people. Having connections with others doesn't have to diminish your emotional relationship with your SO.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:22 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If I talk to friends about things, I can still talk to my partner too. It's not like I'm emotionally drained because I shared some feelings with other people. Having connections with others doesn't have to diminish your emotional relationship with your SO.
Having friends of the opposite sex is not the same thing as an emotional affair, though.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:34 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I agree with this 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships