Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 03:42 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,635,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
I don't think there's been an increase in cheating -- there's been an increase in reporting it. When JFK was POTUS, no media outlet would have dreamed of reporting about his infidelity. That was off limits, deemed to have nothing to do with doing his job. Sadly, those days are gone now.
Good point. It probably just feels like it's more common because we hear about it more and because people in general seem to be more open about it. It's sort of like being gay. We hear about more and more people coming out of the closet these days, probably cause there's less stigma attached to being gay. But that doesn't mean the percentage of gay people in the population has necessarily increased. People are just more open about it. And because more and more people are coming out, that makes it easier for others to as well. Maybe it's the same with cheating. If you think you're the only one who's cheating, you'll probably keep it a secret. But if everyone you know is doing it too, then maybe you won't feel the need to hide it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 03:48 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
It seems like every day, you hear about someone cheating.... Has infidelity become so common that we as a culture have become desensitized to it?
Those who are surprised by accounts of celebrity infidelity have obviously not read many biographies or know much about history. Sexual indiscretions and peccadilloes are not new, and there is nothing to indicate that they are more common now than in the past.

What *IS* different is that we learn about these things now becasue information is more readily available and widely dispersed. In the past knowledge of such sins was extremely limited. Today it is ubiquitous.

As onglet noted, JFK was a popular president who was considered a great role model when he was on the public scene. The mass public now knows that he was a serial womanizer who carried on multiple affairs, even accepting an orgy with hookers provided by a known mobster. He would be completely unelectable -- as a president OR senator -- today.

The difference is that at one time these things were much, much easier to keep quiet. Now we have 911 tapes and cell phones with cameras, GPS and computers that store every word ever written...forever, YouTube and DNA tests, flight tracking software and Google, and a press (with ubiquitous TV satellite up-links disseminating news instantly around the globe) and public who will report and post anything and everything.

The Bottom line: none of the philandering we hear about is new or remarkable. In the past these trees fell in the woods and no one heard or saw them. Now there's a web cam and microphone covering every inch of the forest, and all events are permanently archived and universally accessible.

Last edited by professorsenator; 12-03-2009 at 04:00 PM..

Old 12-03-2009, 04:57 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,669,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Those who are surprised by accounts of celebrity infidelity have obviously not read many biographies or know much about history. Sexual indiscretions and peccadilloes are not new, and there is nothing to indicate that they are more common now than in the past.

What *IS* different is that we learn about these things now becasue information is more readily available and widely dispersed. In the past knowledge of such sins was extremely limited. Today it is ubiquitous.

As onglet noted, JFK was a popular president who was considered a great role model when he was on the public scene. The mass public now knows that he was a serial womanizer who carried on multiple affairs, even accepting an orgy with hookers provided by a known mobster. He would be completely unelectable -- as a president OR senator -- today.

The difference is that at one time these things were much, much easier to keep quiet. Now we have 911 tapes and cell phones with cameras, GPS and computers that store every word ever written...forever, YouTube and DNA tests, flight tracking software and Google, and a press (with ubiquitous TV satellite up-links disseminating news instantly around the globe) and public who will report and post anything and everything.

The Bottom line: none of the philandering we hear about is new or remarkable. In the past these trees fell in the woods and no one heard or saw them. Now there's a web cam and microphone covering every inch of the forest, and all events are permanently archived and universally accessible.
Good point!

Old 12-03-2009, 04:59 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
By the way, what's the difference between a Cadillac Escalade and a golf ball?

Tiger Woods can drive a golf ball 300 yards.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:09 PM

850 posts, read 1,545,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
It seems like every day, you hear about someone cheating. Today it's Tiger Woods. Last month, it was David Letterman. Last year, it was John Edwards. Two people I never would've expected to do such a thing. But I'm seeing an interesting reaction. Instead of shock or extreme disappointment, I see people kind of shrugging as if this sort of thing was bound to happen. Has infidelity become so common that we as a culture have become desensitized to it? Do we just assume everyone sooner or later will be unfaithful? I remember when people would have stronger reactions. Now, someone's infidelity is more about being a source of jokes than anything else.
Lets keep it real: when you have an unlimited supply of p---y being thrown in your face because of who you are and the money you have, its no wonder why so many get caught with their pants down. I had a friend that was a roadie for alot of rock groups in the 80's (hair bands) and he said the women just gave it away like it only costed a penny! He said any type of self respect that they had for themselves left the room. He said alot of the women were young, stupid and just thought that if they slept with them that they would be their girlfriend. PLEASE!!! Or some tried to get pregnant so they could "say" that they had so and so's baby.

And I can't leave out the man whores out there that do the same to famous actress' as well. Its all about the money in the end.

I think anyone in that position should be extremely cautious in who they have around them and who they get in involved with. Everyone always wants to get paid and if they have something on your...your screwed.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:27 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,224,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I don't think people are better or worse than they used to be. The media just covers it more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
I don't think there's been an increase in cheating -- there's been an increase in reporting it. When JFK was POTUS, no media outlet would have dreamed of reporting about his infidelity. That was off limits, deemed to have nothing to do with doing his job. Sadly, those days are gone now.
These thoughts are what I think make the most sense. I'd guess cheating is no more common today than what it's been for centuries. But the press used to look the other way. They still do to some extent. Do you really think Tiger's indiscretion was a surprise to many sports writers? No. But they'd rather have several interviews with Tiger over a number of years than one scandalous story -- a story that's got nothing to do with golf. So they keep quiet, wink, grin, and get the interview.

The same was true with politicians for years. JFK was not the first president to have affairs. I think to be a successful high ranking politician it takes some heavy doses of testosterone anyway. U.S. Presidents have been sowing their wild seed since, at the latest, Jefferson. (Some say even old George himself.) Harding, Roosevelt, Eisenhower, Johnson and Clinton certainly had illicit affairs, though they were never scandalized in the press until later years -- except of course, Billy Boy, who denied it under oath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnnee View Post
Lets keep it real: when you have an unlimited supply of p---y being thrown in your face because of who you are and the money you have, its no wonder why so many get caught with their pants down....
And this! (Reps to you) I said for years that, while I'd never cheated, I knew I was vulnerable. There were times I could have and times I would have, but I was never in a position where I would have when I could have. Celebrities who do a lot of traveling are probably in that "could" world constantly, so when they have a spat with the spouse, slosh back a few drinks, and glance at a hot chick across the room, that hottie is probably propositioning them before they can blink. It should come as no surprise that cheating by celebs is commonplace.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:46 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,894,458 times
Not to me. God help the man who creeps on me.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:39 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,635,354 times
Infidelity may not be more common now than it was in the past. But hearing about it more frequently does tend to make you less shocked by it. It's like the evening news example I gave earlier. You hear about one drive-by shooting, it shocks us. You hear it every night, after a while, you almost become immune to hearing it. What's noteworthy now is when there isn't a shooting. When it comes to infidelity, we hear about it so much that it's now noteworthy to hear about someone's marriage actually lasting. In Hollywood, it's no longer noteworthy to hear that so-and-so cheated on his wife. But when you hear that Tom Hanks is still happily married or that Paul Newman was with the same woman his whole life, that actually makes people sit up and take notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships