Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:01 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,035 times

Advertisements

I found this online and I shared it with some friends, everybody thought it was hilarious and pathetic at the same time. This is about a woman from Plentyoffish.com who met a gentleman after chatting with him online and the whole thing was a disaster. The guy is still an active member of POF!

I was a member of POF for a couple of years and also participated in the forums, where I met some genuinely nice people. However, late last year I started seriously corresponding with one forum member who gave the impression and appreance as well rounded crafsman and musician, his name was Akimmbo. After a couple of weeks of writing back and forth I said we should meet and he was very hesitate and said he thought it would be very romantic if we waited until Christmas, I thought it was odd, I even offered to fly down to where he lived, but no he wanted to wait. We continued to correspond for the next two months, which in hindsight was very unwise on my part, but I did.

Finally Christmas arrived and the person I met was not the person in the pictures and I know that a look of shock was on my face because he asked if he looked like his picture and in being too stunned to answer, I said yes. In his pictures he was a tall man with golden hair and beautiful blue eyes. Well the blues were true, the man who showed up was short, with long hair (as in extensions) except for the top of his head which was completely bald, which I didn’t know because he always wears a hat or some how covers his head. If that wasn’t bad enough, the only way I can describe him is as a dirty old hippy who smelled very musty and his facial hair was so long that he would chew on his moustache.

During his visit there were so many horrific moments I was in shock and I couldn’t believe I had such a bad choice. Some of the highlights were: He didn’t flush the toliet, he lived in his car, he had beeen arrested a few times and he had been put in a mental institution and it goes on and on. The reason I am telling this story is because, POF is now going to have an option where you can pay. The only thing you get for your money is a gold star next to your name. I wrote in forums that if the are going to charge they need to carefully screen their members so people like Akimmbo cannot pull his hoax on other women, at the very least no photo shopped pictures should be allowed. As I said I was a member for a few years, but after the nightmare with Akimmbo, I could not longer stomach being on POF and I quit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 09:07 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
lol. nice. looked this guy up,

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:aDqx62ItPiwJ:www.plentyoffish.com/member4680908.htm+Akimmbo&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us (broken link)

and it is great to know he's from the south carolina lowcountry. I'm very proud.

red flags:
First Date- Get in Car, Walk, talk, breathe, blink, watch, be present,laugh,play with skin care products, you know-eat a little bit, drink,nibble, dreamwalk, play in South Carolina, visit the Summer house in Pennsylvania, go to Nantucket, build a chuckwagon... be merry.

What separates fantasy/reality?.....well, it's just that thin little line ,
cross when ready.

lists interests as: wiping surfaces, "box of toys", wood vs. plastic, and swine flu

Old 12-03-2009, 09:07 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,885 times
I don't think that's a particularly new concept in online dating...the person not being who they described themselves to be. I'd venture to guess it pretty much happens all the time

Old 12-03-2009, 09:12 AM

37,604 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post

akimmbo Forensics and other words that start with F , (http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:aDqx62ItPiwJ:www.plentyoffish.com/member4680908.htm+Akimmbo&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us - broken link)

and it is great to know he's from the south carolina lowcountry. I'm very proud.

red flags should have come up with this part:
First Date- Get in Car, Walk, talk, breathe, blink, watch, be present,laugh,play with skin care products, you know-eat a little bit, drink,nibble, dreamwalk, play in South Carolina, visit the Summer house in Pennsylvania, go to Nantucket, build a chuckwagon... be merry.
My God. There are so many red flags on that profile, it should light up. Anyone that ignored them has nothing to complain about. You gotta use some common sense, people.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:14 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,397,457 times
I had something similar happen to me, only he drove 7 hours to meet me. (I should have known by how anxious he was to meet me. ) I warned him ahead of time that if I didn't think there was a connection, I wasn't going to waste anymore of his time (or mine. ) The dude was skeevy!!! (did I spell that right? ) Ugh...I hate even thinking about it...how I was mislead. He was totally not how he presented himself online.

I didn't want to be too much of a b*tch, so I treated him to Burger King and sent him packing. Even after that, the guy still tried to pursue me...writing me songs, etc..

The thing is I don't know if some of these folks online are lying OR if maybe they truly see themselves as the way they present themselves to others online. I find that most people think they have self awareness, but usually they're far off.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:21 AM

471 posts, read 1,042,503 times
People who have no self esteem will show it online and in person. Doesn't matter the forum, not having self confidence is still not having self confidence.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:24 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-ever-learning View Post
People who have no self esteem will show it online and in person. Doesn't matter the forum, not having self confidence is still not having self confidence.
Are you suggesting that a lack of confidence is this guy's problem?

I'd think he could take a big step forward by flushing the toilet.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:29 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,692,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post

akimmbo Forensics and other words that start with F , (http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:aDqx62ItPiwJ:www.plentyoffish.com/member4680908.htm+Akimmbo&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us - broken link)

red flags:

What separates fantasy/reality?.....well, it's just that thin little line ,
cross when ready.

lists interests as: wiping surfaces, "box of toys", wood vs. plastic, and swine flu
Forensics and other words that start with F

Old 12-03-2009, 10:07 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,556,941 times
The gal described above couldn't spot this guys train-wreck despite correspondance? Well, then she made a smart move leaving POF.

Being able to filter and sort through scum on POF is a mandatory skill....but at least there are some gems in there. One gal I dated had used Match extensively as well and had some of the same scummy guys...and my experience with match was that they used fake profiles to entice you to pay for memberships.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:26 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,641,594 times
Wow! In all my years of being single and doing the online dating thing, only one time was I shocked when I saw the person in-person.
I believe this happened but part of me is like "why?" How do these things happen to others who are searching virtually in the same pool as I was but I had good luck and others have had bad. Just interesting. Sorry it happened, that sucks. I don't even need to tell you the "in hindsight" stuff LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships