Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 04:49 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,421,377 times

Advertisements

No I havn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 05:56 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
To me, it sounds like you can really use a make-over. You need someone who will be honest with you, who will help you assess what you can do to update your look and appear more attractive.
I agree and I think it would be a great boost for your self esteem and self image. Despite you having all the health issues and other, there is no reason you can't feel good about yourself via a makeover. There are other alternatives to hair color if you can't take all the chemicals. Even a great cut can make grey hair look really good.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:28 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
I haven't been mistaken for my husband's mother, but a few people have assumed we are brother and sister. We are both tall and have similar eyes with dark eyebrows. My grandfather mentioned several times that my husband resembled his father (my great-grandfather) as a young man.

I agree that a bit of a makeover could do wonders. One of my aunts went grey in her 20s. A good haircut can be flattering and youthful, and a bad haircut does the opposite. What about wearing some vibrant colors or pretty earrings?

Old 12-04-2009, 08:33 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I haven't been mistaken for my husband's mother, but a few people have assumed we are brother and sister. We are both tall and have similar eyes with dark eyebrows. My grandfather mentioned several times that my husband resembled his father (my great-grandfather) as a young man.

I agree that a bit of a makeover could do wonders. One of my aunts went grey in her 20s. A good haircut can be flattering and youthful, and a bad haircut does the opposite. What about wearing some vibrant colors or pretty earrings?
LOL, I hear ya. My daughter and I look like sisters and we trip people out all the time, they can't believe I'm the mom LOL

Old 12-04-2009, 08:34 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
When my wife and I were engaged, I asked her to come clothes shopping with me.

Now, when I was 26, I looked young. Seriously, I have a babyface even to this day. What's more, I was in jeans that day, while she came straight from work in the executive suite of a Fortune 500, so she was dressed in full professional regalia.

As I pick out some pants and head to the dressing rooms, this nice older woman approaches her and says, "You know, you just don't look old enough to have a son that age." In other words, the woman thought I was, say, 12. Mrs. CPG just laughed it off.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:40 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,922,877 times
my last girlfriend was 16 years younger than me, it sounds a little seedy, but we didn't plan it, we'd been talking for ages, and were already falling for each other before we asked each other's ages, i thought she was older, and she thought i was younger !!

anyway, the gap didn't bother us, but from time to time i might get mistaken for her father.
we actually used to think it was quite funny.
sometimes you could see people looking at us trying to work it out !!!

Old 12-04-2009, 09:16 AM

943 posts, read 2,279,797 times
Thanks everhyone for your advice. I am going to look into a makeover, am sick now--cold or flu? but it will be soon. I know I did have people used to tell me I looked younger, I think I need to work on moving too soon, instead of putting it off or letting finances preclude me.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:00 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,003,556 times
No, but I've never had a younger SO. My best friend in my former town was 10 years older than I and when we went out for lunch one day the waitress made some comment with the premise that I was my friend's daughter. I laughed it off as foolishness and didn't think a thing of it. But several months later, my friend told me she was going in to have a facelift and lipo-suction/body sculpting b/c of that comment! It really bothered her!

Sounds like you do need a makeover but also a more youthful outlook. I struggle with Lupus but decided that even if I felt like hell, I wouldn't look like hell, LOL. I do simple exercises just about every day, watch what I eat, and take very good care of my skin. This helps manage the disease better AND keeps me looking good. Don't let the health problems beat you down and turn you old before your time.

Do you have any younger friends or family members? Spend time with them and listen to their advice on style and fashion! I love to chat and shop with my son's lovely girlfriend! It's fun and invigorating to go out with them sometimes!

Old 12-04-2009, 11:04 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
No, but growing up I was occasionally mistaken for my mother's husband.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:39 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,174,569 times
The only time I mistook someone's wife for their mother was George Bush's wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships