Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 12:26 PM

382 posts, read 758,422 times

Advertisements

If he wants to live with his mother being 33 yrs old, than that's his business, his choice. But never having worked, expecting mummy to pay the bills, what a loser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 01:46 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
His brother does not have a mental disability of any kind. He is smart as a wit, and strong as an ox! He is a bit backward, but that is expected, under the circumstances.
His Mom came here for Thanksgiving dinner, and his sister said," Where is (the brother?") She said," Oh, now...you know that he won`t go anywhere."
I don't know you're brothers situation but think about what you said..."he is a bit backward..". You assume it's because he is living with mom instead of thinking maybe that's WHY he is living with mom. Obviously something is going on that you aren't seeing since he IS LIVING WITH MOM and see's nothing wrong with it. Maybe he does have a social problem (ie: "backward") or maybe he is just a lazy bum...either way it's his issue, and we ALL have them. But as long as he and mom like the set up there is no harm being done and it might even be for the best for the two of them.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:52 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't know you're brothers situation but think about what you said..."he is a bit backward..". You assume it's because he is living with mom instead of thinking maybe that's WHY he is living with mom. Obviously something is going on that you aren't seeing since he IS LIVING WITH MOM and see's nothing wrong with it. Maybe he does have a social problem (ie: "backward") or maybe he is just a lazy bum...either way it's his issue, and we ALL have them. But as long as he and mom like the set up there is no harm being done and it might even be for the best for the two of them.
This is true. I guess he doesn`t mind not having any friends or any sort of social life. I would think he would just get bored, but maybe not.
Thanks all! I have received some great thoughts on this.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:50 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Who do we blame for this one
Why do we have to BLAME anyone?

Because someone doesn't live the lifestyle that you chose for them they need to be blamed?

There are a lot of different ways to spend your time while on this planet. If you find a way that works for you then go for it.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:39 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Why do we have to BLAME anyone?

Because someone doesn't live the lifestyle that you chose for them they need to be blamed?

There are a lot of different ways to spend your time while on this planet. If you find a way that works for you then go for it.
Because treating someone that way is very bad for them.

Able bodied, no work experience.....unless there is a trust fund or something that person is going to be in a world of trouble when his support his cut off for whatever reason.

Employers won't employ someone with that big of a unemployment gap, no previous experience and nothing productive to show for that time period.

Setting them up for failure by doing that.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:39 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
My room mate's boyfriend got into a motorcycle wreck when he was 18. Gets a monthly check and hasn't worked since that point in time. Still lives at home with his mom.

My roommate doesn't have enough income to have a place of her own, without having someone's financial help. If she died tomorrow, I could still afford the bills here without her input.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:06 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,812 times
Do you think he can't find a job due to the economy?

I don't know what it's like where you live, but there are a good number of people here who have been unemployed for years.

What level of education does he have? Did he at least graduate from high school?

It's tough to find a job, any job right now.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Do you think he can't find a job due to the economy?

I don't know what it's like where you live, but there are a good number of people here who have been unemployed for years.

What level of education does he have? Did he at least graduate from high school?

It's tough to find a job, any job right now.
There are some who are happy enough to remain unemployed and live with mom indefinitely. They aren't going to make any big effort to find work because it's very easy to just fall back on the parent and live that way.

Others are more aggressive and will be employed even if that requires moving away from the parents. It's always been that way.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
I have to wonder about this one.
Do we blame the kid, or the parents?

My husbands 33 yr. old brother, has never had a job, and still lives at home with "Mama."
She has mentioned before, that she needs him there, to help take care of her, since her husband passed away several years ago.

Who do we blame for this one, since he is old enough to know better, but then again, so is Dear ol` Mom.
I think it's both. There are still some parents around who don't give their kids everything and help their kids learn independence. There are 15 and 16 year old kids out working so it's kind of hard to imagine a 33 year old never working.

There are mothers who try to cling to their kids, who would prefer they never leave home but the kids still pack up and leave the nest at around 18-22 years of age so you can't say it's only the parents. I've even seen that in the children of immigrants whose parents were angry that the children grew up and left home - but that's what they did anyhow.

It's not just the kids though because other parents make sure the kids are able to grow up and be independent, make it on their own. Some parents love their kids too much to cripple them and realize that in the normal order, their kids will outlive them and need to make it on their own.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:49 AM

81 posts, read 316,967 times
my uncle lived with his mom until he become 36year old and just then found women and marryed and he lives with her now.And as i know in Italy it's normal to live with parents until 30-40.
I'm afraid that the same think will not happen to me cuz i'm very scared of the future...and have never had a real girlfriend,...i'm right now 19 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships