Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 05:55 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Just because you don't experience it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
I think if people understood that life would be so much easier. And I don't just mean in respect to emotions - I mean with anything. Just because something doesn't affect you doesn't mean it doesn't happen, doesn't exist, or doesn't matter.
I think you pretty much described "narcissism" in a nutshell. But I also allow for the fact that that is how most of humanity opperates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 06:02 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times
maffe,

They say perceptions everything, I believe it to be truth.

Females get into emotional drama needlessly, but I don't believe the
ability to hurt others and not feel a flicker of remorse is good either.

Your personality trait may suit you for career fields and choices
the drama queen is unequipped.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:14 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Accepting grief is part of "growing up"
Beyond that, discerning what is worth grieving for, and what is not.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:42 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,028,941 times
I'm sort of like this too, but more so in the way that I do not try to change people or the way something may have unfolded. I don't see the point in crying over someone that is not crying over you. Stuff happens in life. C'est la vie. Moping around in misery only holds people back. Let all the feelings out and then pick yourself up and continue on. It's not that one should ignore emotions, but the fact that feelings and emotions CHANGE should be very much acknowledged.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:49 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,299,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I'm sort of like this too, but more so in the way that I do not try to change people or the way something may have unfolded. I don't see the point in crying over someone that is not crying over you. Stuff happens in life. C'est la vie. Moping around in misery only holds people back. Let all the feelings out and then pick yourself up and continue on. It's not that one should ignore emotions, but the fact that feelings and emotions CHANGE should be very much acknowledged.
I think the younger you are, the more this philosophy works. The older and much more battle-scarred from life, the harder it is to do this.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:10 PM

18 posts, read 16,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
maffe,

They say perceptions everything, I believe it to be truth.

Females get into emotional drama needlessly, but I don't believe the
ability to hurt others and not feel a flicker of remorse is good either.

Your personality trait may suit you for career fields and choices
the drama queen is unequipped.
That's the reason I stood up one of my friends and to this day haven't call her. I was fed up of her constant tears. In addition, she was the sorry cheater wanting her then fiance back. I can't stand dramatic people. I assume by now she already long forgot about her ex fiance, has move on with someone else and stop beating herself over cheating.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:12 AM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maffe View Post
What I mean is too many people get either angry, stressed or saddened over a relationship not going well. The cases can be for many reasons ranging from your spouse becoming bored, getting cheated on, you being the cheating and wasting time beating yourself for it, less attention, etc.

I don't think there's any need to be sad about it. Whenever I ended a relationship with a boyfriend for either of the reasons stated above the next day I would go to a frat party and from that moment is like I forgot all about the ex b/f. Same went for all the other break-ups.

Not sure if this happens to anyone. You not feeling depress, confused nor even taken by surprise.

Some people takes days, weeks, months or in certain cases a couple years to recover from an already dead relationship. However, with me, none of this seems to happen. It's like I can forget the next day and go on partying if invited.
When certain ex b/f's split up with me and later on wanted to back expressing how it was a mistake that they still loved me but what can I do? I couldn't help it but just tell them the truth, that I already forgot about them and simply wasn't in love at all, not even chemistry was there. This always happens. I forgot them easily after break-ups.
...I saw "Frat party", and it all started to make sense.

I'm not saying that to be mean, let me explain.

You're in college, and since you're going to frat parties, I'm going to assume that you're still young, 18 to 23. I'd be surprised if you're older than that..

At that age, most people are still trying to figure out who they are - they're still going to the slightly crazy parties, still staying up all night.. maybe have a nice little cozy dorm room or apartment with furniture created out of empty milk crates. Hell, I've been there.. had a hell of a good time too.

But, when I was that age, I was the same way. There wasn't a lot that bothered me because I knew that I still had an entire life to live. It was my first taste of freedom, and damn, it was good.

Thing is, as the wonderful and astute LovesMountains said, you just haven't had the opportunity to feel true love, yet. I know, you probably feel like you have, but dating someone for a few months is a lot different than being in love with someone. More than likely, you loved them, were infatuated with them, but you were never in love with them. When one person falls in love with another, and then suddenly looses that other person, there's hurt, there's anger, and there's a deep sense of loss.

When someone breaks up with you and you can't sleep, can't eat, and just feel sick.. that's when you can say that you've felt the real impact of true love.

For now, just enjoy your life.. go out, have fun, date.. You'll have these feelings eventually, but for now, just live.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:16 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
staying at home makes you a homemaker. revolving doors make you an expert at coming in out of a cold street.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:35 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maffe View Post
What I mean is too many people get either angry, stressed or saddened over a relationship not going well. The cases can be for many reasons ranging from your spouse becoming bored, getting cheated on, you being the cheating and wasting time beating yourself for it, less attention, etc.

I don't think there's any need to be sad about it. Whenever I ended a relationship with a boyfriend for either of the reasons stated above the next day I would go to a frat party and from that moment is like I forgot all about the ex b/f. Same went for all the other break-ups.

Not sure if this happens to anyone. You not feeling depress, confused nor even taken by surprise.

Some people takes days, weeks, months or in certain cases a couple years to recover from an already dead relationship. However, with me, none of this seems to happen. It's like I can forget the next day and go on partying if invited.
When certain ex b/f's split up with me and later on wanted to back expressing how it was a mistake that they still loved me but what can I do? I couldn't help it but just tell them the truth, that I already forgot about them and simply wasn't in love at all, not even chemistry was there. This always happens. I forgot them easily after break-ups.
I have a feeling that you were a whole person before you started having relationships of any kind, are comfortable with yourself and so aren't a relationship junkie. If you go with someone fine, if you go alone fine.

Some people cling to relationships that are obviously not working well, they will fall into depression over losing someone that wasn't right for them all along.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:40 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscrapercrazy View Post
You are absolutely right maffe.

When people start relationships with such high expectations about the romantic thing, they are basically asking for trouble. It will eventually end and they will go around being miserable. Grow up people! You have to always expect the break up when you start going out with someone because that's what will probably happen sooner or later. As relationships get older the worse side of people comes to the surface, in the begining everyone is performing a show, it has to be that way, otherwise nobody would manage to have sex in their lives.
I think some people are love junkies. Infatuation provides them much drama, and they act like breaking up with someone is the end of the world because they are so sure that everyone they date "is the one" and when "the one" dumps them it's like the end of the world.

These types will marry but they'll end up cheating or being cheated on because they still crave some kind of drama. Marriages tend to get a little flat now and then so they'll be out looking for infatuation because it gives them a kind of high - a euphoria - almost like a good drug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships