Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2009, 10:30 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,030,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
No, actually there is no other reason than food.
I've learned that people often use food as a lure to whatever they want you to attend. Churches, schools, committees, parties - everyone does it. Oh, they know us too well haha. Mention food or alcohol and people WILL be there. Mention both? Full house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 10:35 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I've learned that people often use food as a lure to whatever they want you to attend. Churches, schools, committees, parties - everyone does it. Oh, they know us too well haha. Mention food or alcohol and people WILL be there. Mention both? Full house.
Those people evidently don't know me! That's why I'm also puzzled that so many men think women would be willing to put up with a boring date because of food!

I know your statement is true in many cases, though. I find that quite pathetic. You'd think we're talking about starving children in Somalia...

Old 12-25-2009, 10:40 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
This reminds me of our company Christmas party we had last week. We are about 75% women, so there's a huge advantage for the males. Yet, at the party, there was a table of IT guys who were huddled together in the corner, not talking or interacting with anyone. One of the ladies made a comment about "that's why they're all single" so I decided to be nice and go join them. (I happened to graduate from highschool with one of them too, so I knew him). The moment I stepped into their bubble they were like mute dear in the headlights. I felt like the biggest idiot trying to engage them in conversation.

Hi spinx,

Yep we had the Christmas parties, some company wide, and others by department. The food was lite so everyone(else) was getting wasted for the company wide one. Everyone was huddled in their respective departments, except for me of course. I am an introvert 6 days a week, but then I make the rounds. I am an introvert due to boredom rather than fear which is probably the case with your IT guys. I am trying to get an IT 30 year old divorced guy out of his shell now. He is not a bad looking guy either. He just cannot get cocky. The guy in the next cube from me is a married X-cad so some may surprise you.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:40 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
No, actually there is no other reason than food.
Yeah?

I went to a company luncheon. Came in, got my food, ate. I was out of there in about 15 minutes, all told.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You're kidding right??

Management must love you.
They do--work is for work. I'm getting paid, I might as well be working.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Those people evidently don't know me! That's why I'm also puzzled that so many men think women would be willing to put up with a boring date because of food!

I know your statement is true in many cases, though. I find that quite pathetic. You'd think we're talking about starving children in Somalia...
Nah, we're talking about Americans so that explains everything. Ah, sorry. That was so politically incorrect. I'm waiting for the stereotyping-Nazis to come and assault me.

Unfortunately, sometimes we don't find out our date is consistently boring until halfway through the meal. We keep waiting for it to get better, our hopes high and our eyes bright, but it never happens. The guy still wants to talk about the life cycle of earthworms.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:50 PM

SierraAz - WORD about the food comment you left in my reps. Never were truer words spoken lol.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:53 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi spinx,

Yep we had the Christmas parties, some company wide, and others by department. The food was lite so everyone(else) was getting wasted for the company wide one. Everyone was huddled in their respective departments, except for me of course. I am an introvert 6 days a week, but then I make the rounds. I am an introvert due to boredom rather than fear which is probably the case with your IT guys. I am trying to get an IT 30 year old divorced guy out of his shell now. He is not a bad looking guy either. He just cannot get cocky. The guy in the next cube from me is a married X-cad so some may surprise you.
I don't think any of the IT guys I work with would surprise me. lol. They are really awkward. I was just trying to be nice, but I suppose they just wanted to be left alone.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:59 PM

I generally eat once a day. If it's free, all the better for me. But if I have to PAY for it, I'm definitely going to stay and eat it.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:08 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston
A computer geek groupie could be successful in the IT field. A socially confident male could be white trash. In my mind, success is key, in whatever field. To me white trash/ghetto people are at the bottom of the dating totem pole, since they are headed nowhere in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi samston,

Different social classes have different idea about what is dominant. Could a skinny geek do well in the ghetto especially before he hits 25? Would she be gloating about this guy on the street? Gang bangers get laid.
"Socially confident" is especially important in the lower middle and lower classes, since this is often all that these males have. This is often coupled with good looks but no work ethic to back up their natural advantage. Typically, if such a man works at it, he could sire 10 kids with 3 or 4 women and since he has no assets, he's safe from the "ravages" of family court.

An early post said that men who couldn't find a woman, weren't looking. Quite likely true.

As a man ages, most available women are a trade-off between risk and reward for such men. At some point, he realizes that there is little reward in pursuing those women who would eagerly accept his advances and there is a terrible risk of losing most of his financial security.

I expect this to again be a big factor in the coming decade, as it was in the 1980s. At that time, many young men saw their career start very slowly and women scorned them as a result.

They now have a good career with solid income, assets and savings and as my recent thread discussed are the object of further scorn by women, nagging them to make some woman happy. Seldom any specifics, however. That's up to them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships