Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:08 PM

541 posts, read 940,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I have noticed over the course of my life that, while I tend to generally get along with and get at least some attention from women of most races, I get more attention from black women, Asians, and latinas than most white guys do.

Friendly, outgoing, humorous, patient, fair, honest, sincere, confident.

Raised all over the US, but mostly in the Seattle area or Boston. I've spent most of my adult life in Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Well, there have been numerous situations, but, generally speaking, it's because I saw them smiling at me and went to go introduce myself; or, they introduced themselves to me.

Part of it is that, for the most part, I lived in areas that were predominantly black, latin, or Asian, and it followed that I had a lot of friends from those groups.

My best friend is black and I grew up around his family and he included me in his circle of friends. Again, this wasn't the first time in my life I'd had black friends, and I clicked with everyone quickly. I never tried to "act black" or pretend that I was part of their culture, tried to front or anything... I was just honest, respectful, and friendly, and that pretty much sealed it. Same with every other cultural group I've had friends from. I think that having an understanding, respect, and confidence in interacting with people from different cultures goes a very long way.

For instance, Asian female friends of mine have told me that they have been approached by men who say that they want to "learn more about" or "experience" Asian culture. Not a good way to indicate your interest. They'd rather be treated like an individual person whom the guy is interested in, versus a part of a race. If I start talking to an Asian or black or Latin woman, I'm not going to immediately throw out there that I think that their culture is cool... I'm going to get to know them. Respect goes a long way!

I wish I had more white guys that acted like you. But in my experiences... no they didnt. They would avoid dating asian women especially in tx. But I did.... in my husband

Old 04-04-2012, 09:33 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahpc122927 View Post
I want to see this movie!!! wHEN DOES THIS COME OUT??? I love it when the girl said "Girl if you dont know what to do with HIM ...pass him to me. I will give him alot of babies. " HAHAHA.
It came out a few years ago. Should be easy to find the DVD.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahpc122927 View Post
I wish I had more white guys that acted like you. But in my experiences... no they didnt. They would avoid dating asian women especially in tx. But I did.... in my husband
Good to hear I'm doing something right, and glad that you found the right man

Old 04-04-2012, 11:49 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Probably California. Case in point, one of my friends appears to date exclusively white women. He is born and raised in California. He grew up in a middle class black neighborhood. Went to an affluent private high school.

I have known him for 15 years (yikes!). We went to college together. 4 of his closest female friends (me plus a few more) are black. None of us ever dated him or have been interested. But he did go on a few dates with other black women in our circle.

These days he dates a lot of white women. He doesn't always introduce us to his girlfriends. Half the time we find out about the girlfriend when she's an ex. :P He likes to keep his friend circles separate. So we have to make an extra effort to meet his other friends. Most of his male friends are white. His female friends are diverse. Many of them are exes.

He works in the arts. His favorite music is alternative (with occasionally detours into R&B) and his work environment is about 90% white.

I don't always talk about relationships with him. He has dated lots or types of women, black and otherwise, but mostly white.

I have another friend who is mixed white and indian. He didn't grow up in the US, but moved here in adulthood. He rarely dates indian women. Mostly white and latina. Occasionally middle eastern and black.
Your friend sounds interesting. I asked because I suspected this phenomenon was on the West Coast. I grew up in the exurbs of Atlanta, in a predominantly White area. I went to a public high school that was not affluent. Actually, my high school was about 80% White and about 19% Black. My high school had some issues as far as racial tensions went. Being a "non-stereotypical Black kid", I was in a weird position.

On the other hand, most of my friends in high school were White, the majority of them females. When I was in the 6th grade, I made some friends among some of the 8th grade girls. I was seen as the "cute little brother" type. I think this had to do with being the shortest(and among the skinniest) 6th grade boy, a bookworm, and I was frequently mistaken for being younger. I was seen as a friend, and nothing more. Same with the friends I had among girls in my own grade. I was seen as a friend at best. Nothing more. Many girls in my own grade level saw me as some "dork". Interestingly, my first crush that I had in 6th grade was a White female. It never materialized into a relationship. Just friends and nothing more.

My work involves being around alot of international students. I work for a department for international students, and alot of international students hang out there. Some of my friends come from all over the world. Some women I have been attracted to have been Hispanic, Black or White.

Interesting that you mention your friend who is of Indian and White descent. I know someone who is Indian. He is known for being somewhat aggressive, flirty, and very "swag". He has kind of a "bad boy" image. He attracts women of his own ethnicity. He also attracts alot of Hispanic women. He seems to have alot of women around him period. Those very women seem to be more reserved when it comes to me. My personality is this. I can be friendly and make good conversation. However, I'm not that great in groups. I'm better one on one. If a group of people are talking amongst themselves, I usually stay quiet until one person stops talking, then I jump in.

I think what I've seen around me could have something to do with living in the South. I suspect that the way race relations work could have something to do with a few things.

Last edited by green_mariner; 04-05-2012 at 12:43 AM..

Old 04-05-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Friendly, outgoing, humorous, patient, fair, honest, sincere, confident.
Kind of quiet, intellectual, I have my quirks. I can be very kind, honest, fair, and sometimes awkward.

Quote:
Raised all over the US, but mostly in the Seattle area or Boston. I've spent most of my adult life in Los Angeles and San Francisco.
I was raised all over the USA. New Orleans, Dallas-Ft. Worth area, Seattle. I've grown up in the suburbs of Atlanta and I live in the suburbs of Atlanta now. I still consider myself a West Coast person.

Quote:
Part of it is that, for the most part, I lived in areas that were predominantly black, latin, or Asian, and it followed that I had a lot of friends from those groups.
Perhaps so, and sometimes not. I grew up in a very White area an hour west of Atlanta. I could never get a girlfriend or a date. Most girls I asked out were White and I got turned down by all of them. I asked out a few Black girls and I was told no.

Quote:
My best friend is black and I grew up around his family and he included me in his circle of friends. Again, this wasn't the first time in my life I'd had black friends, and I clicked with everyone quickly. I never tried to "act black" or pretend that I was part of their culture, tried to front or anything... I was just honest, respectful, and friendly, and that pretty much sealed it. Same with every other cultural group I've had friends from. I think that having an understanding, respect, and confidence in interacting with people from different cultures goes a very long way.
For instance, Asian female friends of mine have told me that they have been approached by men who say that they want to "learn more about" or "experience" Asian culture. Not a good way to indicate your interest. They'd rather be treated like an individual person whom the guy is interested in, versus a part of a race. If I start talking to an Asian or black or Latin woman, I'm not going to immediately throw out there that I think that their culture is cool... I'm going to get to know them. Respect goes a long way![/quote]

It's an interesting perspective. I feel that treating someone as an individual is important.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:44 AM

72 posts, read 87,651 times
yes and i do not mind as i am not sexually attracted to the women of my own race/ethnicity. most women of my race/ethnicity in my 30 years of experience openly ridicule me about my height regularly (about 5'7) where women of other races (born here, diff heights too, even taller ones, not immigrants either) approach me , compliment me, and want to date me (they say b/c of facial attraction, body, personality, stability and work ethic) and i have no problem meeting and getting dates with them.

no loss here...............

Old 04-05-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apotheosis2012 View Post
yes and i do not mind as i am not sexually attracted to the women of my own race/ethnicity. most women of my race/ethnicity in my 30 years of experience openly ridicule me about my height regularly (about 5'7) where women of other races (born here, diff heights too, even taller ones, not immigrants either) approach me , compliment me, and want to date me (they say b/c of facial attraction, body, personality, stability and work ethic) and i have no problem meeting and getting dates with them.

no loss here...............
At the risk of sounding silly, or ignorant, I have a question: Why would men of your own ethnicity ridicule you for your height?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships