Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 01:05 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times

Advertisements

I had the pleasure of discussing women with a kid in our neighborhood. Good kid, in his teens, but his parents are, IMO, quite backwards. That's another story for another time.

He said his father told him that he should only treat women well half the time because when you're good to them all the time, they will leave you for someone else.

I wanted to be sure he didn't get the wrong message. I asked him if, perhaps, his father meant that you can't be too nice because nice guys tend to be taken advantage of. Nope. The instructions were to purposely mistreat women sometimes to keep them on their toes; to do it intentionally.

Thankfully, and like I said, he is a good kid. He said he would never do that. He wouldn't want to keep a woman by breaking her down. Thank goodness. What was this man thinking and why was he allowed to reproduce?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 01:10 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I had the pleasure of discussing women with a kid in our neighborhood. Good kid, in his teens, but his parents are, IMO, quite backwards. That's another story for another time.

He said his father told him that he should only treat women well half the time because when you're good to them all the time, they will leave you for someone else.

I wanted to be sure he didn't get the wrong message. I asked him if, perhaps, his father meant that you can't be too nice because nice guys tend to be taken advantage of. Nope. The instructions were to purposely mistreat women sometimes to keep them on their toes; to do it intentionally.

Thankfully, and like I said, he is a good kid. He said he would never do that. He wouldn't want to keep a woman by breaking her down. Thank goodness. What was this man thinking and why was he allowed to reproduce?

Thoughts?

That's not a man's opinion - that's a BOY's opinion

Old 12-07-2009, 01:18 PM

359 posts, read 658,135 times
If he is a good kid, the reproduction side of things is not really an issue.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:19 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
The kid is obviously getting bad advice, but I think that I understand what the dad was probably trying to say. People need contrast in order to appreciate what they have.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:35 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
The kid is obviously getting bad advice, but I think that I understand what the dad was probably trying to say. People need contrast in order to appreciate what they have.
I dont think that can be applied to relationships. If your being treated like crap half the time it would make one appreciate the other half of the time and realize with the right person you could be treated well 100% of the time. So that plan could also make you realize what you dont have.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:40 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
I believe that he was told that....
My husband had a friend that firmly believed that if you treat a woman nice and respectful all the time then she'll expect it all the time. He felt he had to "crap" on her once in awhile just to keep her on her toes.

And he wonders why at age 53 he's never been married and never able to hang onto some really great women.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:46 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Is it possible to treat someone "well" every moment of your life? The idea seems a little ridiculous to me.

And what if the other person becomes petulant and demanding? Do you stay the course, continue this compliance? Surely at some point a person must put their foot down. Obviously that's not to say it should be done arbitrarily.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:02 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I dont think that can be applied to relationships. If your being treated like crap half the time it would make one appreciate the other half of the time and realize with the right person you could be treated well 100% of the time. So that plan could also make you realize what you dont have.
Exactly, there is always someone out there willing to give what another man (or woman) won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I believe that he was told that....
My husband had a friend that firmly believed that if you treat a woman nice and respectful all the time then she'll expect it all the time. He felt he had to "crap" on her once in awhile just to keep her on her toes.

And he wonders why at age 53 he's never been married and never able to hang onto some really great women.
She should expect it all the time. He should be respectful all the time. That's not to say one doesn't lose their cool, or say something they might regret later on, but everyone should be treated with respect unless they have done something to lose it. In this case, having breasts seems to be all that is required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Is it possible to treat someone "well" every moment of your life? The idea seems a little ridiculous to me.

And what if the other person becomes petulant and demanding? Do you stay the course, continue this compliance? Surely at some point a person must put their foot down. Obviously that's not to say it should be done arbitrarily.
Is it possible? Probably not. When someone is not worthy of respect, they shouldn't get any. That's not what we're discussing.

It is an arbitrary decision on the part of this man; give her love and then be mean to her, intentionally, willfully, just to keep up with some silly idea that this is they way to keep a woman. Train her like a dog.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:08 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I hope this young man has other male influences in his life. Real men.

If not, I feel sorry for him.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:13 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times
the Kid will find he will get much more action being a Bad Boy than a nice Guy. --With time he will find it is more important to just be ones true self, and let the cards fall where they may. People try to hard to manipulate situations, rather than just enjoyin the ride. --Youth is the time for experimentation, to find and develop who we become.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships