Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 02:40 PM

36 posts, read 95,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anigirli View Post
Well I noticed that in bigger cities like NYC, London, LA, Toykio, Sao Paulo, the feeling is that of you can never be to skinny or rich.While in cities where fashion is less prevalent women are much more proportionate. I'm 5 8" and my weight is in the 105-110 range. And I feel fat because I can't fit into the sample size or my mother's vintage clothes like that cool BIBA maxicoat from the 70's. It feels like I'm bigger than most of my fellow fashionistas when most people tell me I'm super thin.
5'8" 110 pounds is SKINNY, TOO THIN. Seriously. You should consider putting a few pounds on, in a healthy way. How your mother's old clothes fit you is irrelevant, because you aren't her and this isn't the 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 02:43 PM

36 posts, read 95,347 times
Unfortunately "curvy" is a vague term and most guys, if you put that in a personal ad, will assume that you are very overweight. In my experience (and my opinion as a man), a few extra pounds on a woman is fine but OBESE is usually not attractive to a lot of men. I mean, more than 40 or 50 pounds overweight, not 10-15 pounds overweight. That's a general rule. Everyone's body is different, everyone carries their weight differently.

As I understand it, studies have shown that men prefer women to be a few pounds heavier than women themselves think men prefer.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:18 PM

549 posts, read 2,384,927 times
I'm like you cortland, not much b.o.o.b.i.s.h. or b.o.o.t.i.e. going on with either but my willowy body still has slight curves. My body looks like that of a 14-year-old girl. When I'm dressed I don't looked emancipated because my build is more towards the medium/small frame; in a bikini I do look kinda of thin. However I'm no where near Karen Carpenter territory nor is it something I want to aspire to. I guess looking like my mother (expect I'm not as fine boned as her) and being constantly compared to her triggered something inside me, where I could not fail to meet those expectations placed upon me.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:25 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
Ani,

I agree w/you, i don't look like a skeleton, just more on the petite side. Most tall girls i know are either "big boned" and athletic or just big all around. I too think that i do have some curves, just not in the chest and back-side areas! I definitely have hips...........my biggest problem is finding pants in my size (8) that are actually long enough! I believe i have a 34" inseem, ouch!

Old 05-18-2007, 07:29 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Thumbs up Oh yea...

Anigirli fret not...to me...your a hottie. Chances are...it would be you in a crowd of women, that I would notice. I'd be checking you out girlfriend!
And thinking...I hate to see her go...but man do I love to watch her leave!

Old 05-18-2007, 07:40 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Well thanks for the honesty guys! I'm built what I assume is considered average- not a twig but not much "junk in the trunk" either. I have a definite hourglass shape- c cup breasts and hips but of course I find myself buying into the need to diet so I can look like the people on TV and in movies.
I'd say you're quite fine!

Yeah lots of guys like the slender and small ladies, lots of guys like gals with meat of their bones. I happen to be one that likes the ladies with some meat on their bones. But I wouldn't push a slender lady away either.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:43 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anigirli View Post
I'm like you cortland, not much b.o.o.b.i.s.h. or b.o.o.t.i.e. going on with either but my willowy body still has slight curves. My body looks like that of a 14-year-old girl. When I'm dressed I don't looked emancipated because my build is more towards the medium/small frame; in a bikini I do look kinda of thin. However I'm no where near Karen Carpenter territory nor is it something I want to aspire to. I guess looking like my mother (expect I'm not as fine boned as her) and being constantly compared to her triggered something inside me, where I could not fail to meet those expectations placed upon me.
When I see someone the last thing I do is compare them to anyone else.

The only expectations you have to worry about are the ones YOU want to meet up with. The only expectations others should have of you is that you be yourself! =)

I was going to say you sound hot until you said the 14 year old girl thing. Then it would sound kinda weird of me to say that.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:51 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
34-24-34 5ft3in 112 15 years ago You otta see me now

Old 05-18-2007, 07:59 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
hahahaha! Me too!

I was 36 - 24 - 36 back in the day too! 5'5" and 112 pounds! I got ALLOT of dates

Now that I'm 130 lbs, my husband says I'm gorgeous - I'll take it!!!

Old 05-18-2007, 10:13 PM

549 posts, read 2,384,927 times
Another word that is vauge term for guys when some girls describe themselves as "Rubenesque" in a personal ad. At one point in time those women in the frescos were revered for their ampleness. How the pendelum went to the other way now. Still when I look at antique and vintage clothes from the 1840's up to the 70's I can't help and noticed how small, yet tall these women's bodies where. Got a chance to inspect some adult size gowns that at first could not believe they belonged to a lady. An 18 inch waist, and a 28-30 inch bust. In today's clothes those are not considered adult measurements. It's smaller than a size 0. Get the feeling people are getting bigger(wider)than before. Maybe it has to do with the the chemicals they put in the pultry, beef etc. Or maybe to much fast food being consumed.

There was a time when I weighed around 140 and everyone told me I was huge and no one looked at me. Besides that the clothes that I was salivating for did not look right on me at all. So had to completely re-organize my eating habits and eat everything I like in small quantities and walk more. Can still enjoy Brie cheese with a Baguette in the morning for breakfast, or some Creme Brulee after supper.

CortlanGirl
I know what you mean it does seem like many of our fellow tall sisters are "big boned" ,athletic or just big all around. I'm also not "Skeletor" looking. We are not in the petite category either. Petite usually describes a 5 4" and under girl a la Natalie Portman. Girls with our stature and slenderness would be described as "gamine" like Jean Shrimpton, or Jean Seberg who were around our height at 5 8" and so thin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships