Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:51 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,540 times

Advertisements

Ok, I loaned my car to a friend of my husbands. A casual aquaintence really. (We barely knew him)

This was 12 days ago.

He was meant to borrow the car for 5 days. But he promised for 2 days to bring it back but he never turned up.

I was extremely MAD and that's putting it mildly.

I had to get to work and I ended up having to borrow my neighbours car - I promised to fill it with gas as payment $60.

Now this original 'person' reckons he has lost my car keys.

He had it towed to a locksmith and ordered new keys for it. I didn't believe him so I called the locksmith myself and it's all true.

Now the keys came in yesterday (Over $400) worth and this guy promised the locksmith he would pick the car up and buy the new keys.

Didn't happen.

Now we can't contact the original borrower - and it looks like I'll be paying over $400 and driving over 2 hours to get my car back.

Does anyone have any words of advice? Or any comfort for me?

Ps I know I am stoopid for loaning my car out, blah blah - but this guy took advantage of my husband and myself during a very difficult time. (It's a long story)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 06:53 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Didn't you have two sets? That blows though/

Old 12-08-2009, 06:54 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Didn't you have two sets? That blows though/
No only the one set. I've had my car 4 years and never lost the keys once.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:00 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
I never lost car keys either. I would try to get that guy to pay the bill. Even if it was an accident it would only be right if he at least made payments.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:00 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,591,087 times
Holy crap, that's a lot for new keys!! I once got a new key and remote for my car (an extra set for my son when he started driving) and it cost less than $20. Went to a GM dealer and they were able to use the VIN to order the keys. No way in hell would I pay $400 for a new set of keys!

But anyway, that's neither here nor there.

First and foremost, I would be damn sure the locksmith doesn't turn your car over to this guy. Odds are that he won't come and pick it up but you never know.

Pay the $400 and do what you can to try and get it back. If you need your car and the guy obviously isn't willing to pay it...and since you can't get ahold of him...you really don't have too much of a choice at this point. It sucks, but what can you do?

Good luck.

Oh, and PS: Keep at least one set of spare keys on hand, always :-)

Old 12-08-2009, 07:39 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,986 times
All I can say to comfort you is - don't lend your car out to anyone again, especially casual acquaintances.

Aren't you in a different country than the United States? If it was here and the person had a suspended driver's license or didn't have a license, they would arrest him and impound the car. Then there would be storage fees - or maybe even a hearing with the local sheriff's office before we could get it out.

It's sad about the keys and the expense. It's more about the person you lend it to and the liability they become to you.

No more lending out the car, I suggest strongly. People are so afraid these days to look like the bad guy...and then they get into deeper trouble because of facts they didn't know about someone else.

Last edited by cricket_factor; 12-08-2009 at 01:03 PM..

Old 12-08-2009, 08:39 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,324,962 times
Really the only thing you can do if you want your car back is to pay the $400. If the guy does not pay you back, your recourse is to take him to small claims court.

Sucks you have to come out of your pocket for someone who took advantage of you and your hubby. If there's one thing about these kinds of lessons....they are WELL LEARNED not to be a victim again.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:42 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
Ok, I loaned my car to a friend of my husbands. A casual aquaintence really. (We barely knew him)

This was 12 days ago.

He was meant to borrow the car for 5 days. But he promised for 2 days to bring it back but he never turned up.

I was extremely MAD and that's putting it mildly.

I had to get to work and I ended up having to borrow my neighbours car - I promised to fill it with gas as payment $60.

Now this original 'person' reckons he has lost my car keys.

He had it towed to a locksmith and ordered new keys for it. I didn't believe him so I called the locksmith myself and it's all true.

Now the keys came in yesterday (Over $400) worth and this guy promised the locksmith he would pick the car up and buy the new keys.

Didn't happen.

Now we can't contact the original borrower - and it looks like I'll be paying over $400 and driving over 2 hours to get my car back.

Does anyone have any words of advice? Or any comfort for me?

Ps I know I am stoopid for loaning my car out, blah blah - but this guy took advantage of my husband and myself during a very difficult time. (It's a long story)
Yes, lesson learned. Don't loan your car out to someone you barely know. At this point unless you had a written agreement signed by him, you have no rights other than to pray for the best.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,218 times
sounds like he and the locksmith are trying to scam you! Theres is no way it cost 400.00 for a new set of keys. I would need to see an invoice...maybe hes charging you for towing. That price is outrageous

Old 12-08-2009, 09:21 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,925,526 times
the guy borrowed your car, with permission.

he no longer has permission, if he won't return your car, see if there's a case for reporting it as stolen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships