Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 07:22 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times

Advertisements

It's not such a bad idea. In the old days people used to kind of know who they're dealing with and even now they do in the small towns, I suppose. Here people move so much and live far away from family and friends that pretty much everybody is forced to take everybody at face value, which is not always beneficial no matter how great judges of character many think they are.

I come from a pretty small country. Back there if you sit on a bus or a train and talk with somebody, chances are pretty good you'll eventually end up coming up with a person you both know. While I used to resent this lack of anonymity in the past, now I think it's not that horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 08:25 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,592,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Do/did you ask around about someone before asking someone out?

If so, why so?

Or do (did if you're currently involved) you ask them out based on what you know of them and find out the rest on your own?
Yep, I've asked around and even dug around...but only because I've been burned in the past. I had been getting to know someone via online personals and he started to get a little weird. I stopped communicating with him and awhile later he showed up where I worked. Turns out that I dodged a really big bullet. From that point on I made sure that I knew enough about the person before I wasted my time and certainly before I decided to meet him.

My philosophy...you don't have to be paranoid but you can never be too careful. Like someone else said, it's all about safety and comfort. If it doesn't bother you to go into it blindly...more power to you.

My two biggest pieces of advice: Google is your friend and always check the sex offender registry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships