Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 01:37 PM

392 posts, read 1,095,841 times

Advertisements

Men who forever love. Things like the coral castle, for example. If you do not know this history, his young lover left him and he stayed in love passionately with her for the rest of his life, building a stone castle by hand for the rest of his life to show his love for her.

Do you think the idea that a man would stay in love with his first love for his entire life, despite being dumped, or however it did not work out creepy, weird or romantic?

What about if a man gets married to the love of his life and she dies at a young age. He stays single and depressed longing for her for the rest of his life.

I'm not asking for a shrink analogy here, as I agree, the guy who's wife died when he was 25 and never re-married lived an unhealthy lifestyle, no doubt. But do you admire this dedication to the spirit of "one love" or again, find it weird?

I have a great uncle who went away during WWII and while he was fighting in the war, his wife died. He was 26. He never remarried and lived a depressed, sad life, longing for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 01:41 PM

429 posts, read 1,148,405 times
I think romantic would be the right word. It's not weird or creepy, but it definitely is sad.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:46 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,652,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Sculpture_Artist View Post

What about if a man gets married to the love of his life and she dies at a young age. He stays single and depressed longing for her for the rest of his life.
I actually know a man who lost his wife to cancer when she was 32 y/o, 13 years ago. He is now remarried and carries his deceased wife's picture in his wallet and looks at it daily. He really misses her.

Things that love motivates people to do does not surprise me at all nor does it creep me out. Love provides a fiber of insanity. It's precious and charming - and I do not mean stories like Amy Fischer or Lorena Bobbit.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:49 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
It's not creepy OR romantic - it's just sad

Old 12-08-2009, 01:49 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,327,271 times
I find it romantic and sad at the same time. How lucky are we in a lifetime to find someone who touches us so profoundly that we yearn for them the rest of our lives? It is quite rare and I have only heard of it's existance in relationships where the SO has died.

With first loves, everyone will always have a special place in their heart for their first love. If it did not work out for whatever reason, I think it's unhealthy to still long for them to the point it interrupts you moving forward with your life and seeking out new relationships.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:51 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
I think being in love is romantic and people express it in different ways. I think the loss of love is sad and sometimes people can't let go and if it is out of love it is sort of romantic, but sad too.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:53 PM

440 posts, read 1,030,446 times
I think it is very romantic. I believe that some people feel as though they have truely found their soulmate and if that person passes why look for love again when you've already found the one for you? I do believe that if the person becomes depressed even years later being alone, then they need to get out and meet people but just as friends will probably be good enough for that person. The only way I can see never being with another person again is if I were convinced that my SO was my soulmate. I know a lot of people dont believe there is that one person out there for each of us, and maybe not, but some people most definitely find that one true love and its all they'll ever need. Other may have enough in their hearts that they find multiple people in their lifetime who they feel connected with and very in love with.

Of course, every person is different and I'm sure some people do think its weird not to move on. Me, I think its romantic if handled in a healthy manner.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:56 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
I find it romantic and sad at the same time.
Me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
I actually know a man who lost his wife to cancer when she was 32 y/o, 13 years ago. He is now remarried and carries his deceased wife's picture in his wallet and looks at it daily. He really misses her.
As admirable as it sounds, I wouldn't want to be his current wife.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:58 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's not creepy OR romantic - it's just sad
Agreed.

I would call it deluded, though. I don't believe there's just "one love" for anyone, any more than I believe that there's just one place we should call home. My goodness, we've been given a whole wide world filled with people and places and experiences -- why are some people so bent on placing such restrictive limits on life?

Old 12-08-2009, 02:01 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
I think it's sad and weird. Life goes on. I miss my deceased brother very much, but I don't dwell on it on a daily basis, nor have I built a castle or an altar or anything else because I can't cope with the loss. He would not want me to live that way, and I'm pretty sure my kids would abandon me if I acted that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships