Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 04:45 AM

195 posts, read 293,615 times

Advertisements

In my office there is quite a bit of banter between coworkers of the opposite sex. Most are married. Some of it is outright flirting, others is sexual jokes and others is close workplace friendships of people of the opposite sex.

I wonder what their spouses would think if they overheard what was said.

Do you ever say anything to a person of the opposite sex that you would be embarrassed about if your husband or wife overheard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 06:15 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,533,702 times
I work in a male dominated agency...I interact with the opposite sex all the time. Of course that stuff goes on.

My husband got over that fact that I interact with other men on a daily basis a longgggggggggggggggg time ago.

I know he flirts and cracks the same jokes with his female co-workers.

I guess the reason we don't get upset is because we trust each other.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:25 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,324,540 times
My husband gets hit on all the time by his customers which are 95% women. Some have outright propositioned him even though he is sporting a wedding band. He works out and has a large, muscular physique and the women he encounters are always commenting on how he looks. I can imagine some of the things said that he doesn't tell me about but I know who he is coming home to and I make sure home is happy.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:46 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,256,290 times
The s.o. and I worked at a place were we had to deal with "band dudes". I felt embarassed when they would hit on me and I said I had a boyfriend and they would say something sleazy about that and then I just would point to him (s.o.) and laugh. He is a big guy and you do not want him glaring at you the way he was glaring at them. It made me really uncomfortable for everyone involved.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:50 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,641,594 times
I have male friends because I work in a mostly male place but my SO is also friends via me with these same people, he's okay if we from work all go out and he doesn't (which rarely happens) but otherwise, I give him no reason to think anything is off because we trust each other and have never given each other a reason to be insecure.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:15 AM

195 posts, read 293,615 times
My wife's best friend in the office is a married man. They are work spouses and are very close but I know there is nothing romantic going on. They just do not have that type of relationship. Though I suspect they spend a lot of time talking about each others spouses which might be a little difficult to hear if there were a secret hidden camera.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:27 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,671,168 times
My husband knows my work partner, he's been to our house, and we've been to his, and everything is good.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:49 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,012,549 times
I've been rather a flirt for many years now and typically mean nothing by it. I've always been able to deliver a compliment to a woman and will do so easily -- and as I age, I've noted brazen and occasional bouts of shameless.

My wife got used to it a long time ago and has even complimented me on my quips.

A prime example:

A young woman of moderate appearance was trying to get some items in a crowded grocery store. She was much younger than I and clearly the self-conscious sort, appearing shy and rather demure.

As she passed in front of me to get another armful of what she was after, she apologized to me for her passage, to which I responded "You could walk back and forth in front of me all day long and I wouldn't complain."

Her face lit up like a Christmas tree. Once she left, my wife said "You probably made her day with that."

Old 12-09-2009, 08:09 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,641,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
I've been rather a flirt for many years now and typically mean nothing by it. I've always been able to deliver a compliment to a woman and will do so easily -- and as I age, I've noted brazen and occasional bouts of shameless.

My wife got used to it a long time ago and has even complimented me on my quips.

A prime example:

A young woman of moderate appearance was trying to get some items in a crowded grocery store. She was much younger than I and clearly the self-conscious sort, appearing shy and rather demure.

As she passed in front of me to get another armful of what she was after, she apologized to me for her passage, to which I responded "You could walk back and forth in front of me all day long and I wouldn't complain."

Her face lit up like a Christmas tree. Once she left, my wife said "You probably made her day with that."

Exactly! this is the comfort level all relationships should be at. If they were perhaps we'd have less divorces.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:13 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
A friend of mine secretly stays in contact with an ex-boyfriend who (among other nasty things) tries to undermine her marriage and outright says he wants to meet up for sex, etc. It infuriates her husband when he finds out that they are still 'friends.' And occasionally it still comes up, because she alternates between secret meetings and just telling her husband the guy has called or emailed or something.

No, there's nothing going on; she's not cheating. But as much as I am the kind of person who endorses being able to have whichever friends of whatever sex, flirting casually, etc, I still think that she is being skeevy and disrespectful.

Me? I flirt, I carouse, I casually touch other people, but I don't think I've ever done anything that I wouldn't do in front of my wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships