Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 02:18 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,991,004 times

Advertisements

My devout Catholic in-laws kicked up a fuss when we baptized our children Episcopalian and have attended faithfully. But given that three of their other four children have lousy marriages, they finally reconciled themselves to leaving us the hell alone on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 02:20 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,581,550 times
I think a lot depends on just how Catholic this guy is. I am Episcopalian, not Catholic, but my aunts and cousins are Catholic. They can be served communion in my church, but I cannot receive communion in theirs. Only Catholics can. If your children are not baptized Catholics, even if they are baptized in another Christian denomination, they will not be recognized as members of the church or receive communion. For strict Catholics, your unbaptized soul and those of your children will not go to heaven with your husband's.

Like others have said, some Catholics marry and live with non-Catholics just fine. Others do not. It depends on how Catholic he is.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:34 PM

5,978 posts, read 19,847,073 times
My now 97 year old father is a Catholic who married my now 80 year old Methodist mother in a Methodist church as my maternal grandparents would have it no other way. We were baptised and raised Catholic but there was no rule or law as we know (and none taught at the Catholic school I spent 13 years in) that children of Catholics must be raised Catholic. In our growing years, we attended mass at a Catholic church and service at a Methodist one alternately, including a subsect of my grandparents whenever I was vacationing at their country home. No big deal really.

I married a Catholic man, but because he was divorced, the Catholic church we were originally getting married in wanted him to file for an annulment of his first marriage before they were to allow us to marry there. Well, he and I both felt it was too much of a requirement and grievance to his ex- because he filed the divorce. It just doesn't seem right to file for annulment and make-believe that their marriage never happened. So, we decided to get married in a Methodist church. The interview I know would ask you if you were living together, and if you want to be married Catholic, you would have to lie as we did. All this lying and hypocrisy in our minds was the part we wish no part of. However, both our kids are baptized Catholic and going through the sacraments. I think that if you could come to a compromise, it should work out. It doesn't have to be a relationship breaking battle.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:36 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,976,651 times
The more posts I read on this bdavis511 and the more I think about your plight I've got to say this is one of those line-in-the-sand moments.

If you yield on this you will never, ever re-gain that ground and he and his family will have that permanent control over you, your marriage, and your future children if any.

If his Catholicism is so important to him, he can keep it. You are not trying to take him away from his religion. He and his family have no right to take you away from yours.

Be wary. Be very wary.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:37 PM

Actually, bitbit, if you are married in a Catholic church you are required to sign an affidavit promising to raise your children Catholic. The reason it's not taught is to give them the element of surprise. They spring it on you when you meet with the priest.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
The more posts I read on this bdavis511 and the more I think about your plight I've got to say this is one of those line-in-the-sand moments.

If you yield on this you will never, ever re-gain that ground and he and his family will have that permanent control over you, your marriage, and your future children if any.

If his Catholicism is so important to him, he can keep it. You are not trying to take him away from his religion. He and his family have no right to take you away from yours.

Be wary. Be very wary.
Yeah. I'd have to agree with that. That being said, ultimately there will have to be some compromise on the subject of religion if the couple hopes to have a rich and fulfilling spiritual life together. Leaving the house in separate cars on Sunday morning is not really a way to knit a strong family.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:45 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,976,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yeah. I'd have to agree with that. That being said, ultimately there will have to be some compromise on the subject of religion if the couple hopes to have a rich and fulfilling spiritual life together. Leaving the house in separate cars on Sunday morning is not really a way to knit a strong family.
I have to take exception to that statement. See post #13. I will admit that the odds are not in one's favor though.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:53 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,635,465 times
The catholic attack dog is watching closely for catholic bashing

Old 12-10-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
The catholic attack dog is watching closely for catholic bashing
Oh, I think, with one exception, we're being fair minded here. I think, in actuality, you could pretty much put any faith in the blanks here, because the chief question has to do with the overbearing future in-laws.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:56 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,204,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, I think, with one exception, we're being fair minded here. I think, in actuality, you could pretty much put any faith in the blanks here, because the chief question has to do with the overbearing future in-laws.
My MIL had a fit when my husband left their church and became Episcopalian so you are right, the denomination does not matter, just the attitude...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships