Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 06:47 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

No surprise. You can literally sue anyone for anything in this country. Stupid, but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 07:21 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Um, a contract cuts both ways. Soooooo, if a person cheats because his or her spouse denies sex then the cheater could sue, too.

Just what the world needs -- MORE lawyers getting rich off stupid marital difficulties. I would suggest that civil marriage be put out of its misery. It would force people to handle their own problems and quit tying up our courts with the nonsense.
You don't cheat because you are denied sex. Get a divorce if that's the case. People cheat because they have no loyalty to the one they married but are too cowardly to just leave.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:24 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Good grief, theres a loony tune from the past.

The only reason to sue a spouses lover, would be $$$$$ , if that keeps them warm at night......
it wont restore affections once there gone and IMO
probably weren't there before the affair, so its more about ego.
Or maybe it keeps a scorned ex from doing what Broderick did. When there is no justice all that's left is anger and sometimes vengeance.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:32 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
You don't cheat because you are denied sex. Get a divorce if that's the case. People cheat because they have no loyalty to the one they married but are too cowardly to just leave.
Yeah. LOL After some of the nasty divorces I've witnessed where the bitter spouse all but drew blood, I might be too cowardly too. Sometimes, people don't show their true colors til it's too late. And sometimes, as I've said here before, the vows were broken long before the infidelity was committed. Betrayal comes in many forms and pain is pain no matter the form of betrayal. And 13 years post divorce I'm happy to say I have no desire to remarry [knock on wood].

Old 12-12-2009, 07:33 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Or maybe it keeps a scorned ex from doing what Broderick did. When there is no justice all that's left is anger and sometimes vengeance.
Alienation of affections was first codified as a tort by the New York state legislature in 1864, and similar legislation existed in many U.S. states in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

The interesting thing about this law is that it allows for suing anyone who encouraged the divorce:

The defendant in an alienation of affections suit is typically an adulterous spouse's lover, although family members, counselors and therapists or clergy members who have advised a spouse to seek divorce have also been sued for alienation of affections.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:04 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Ive heard of that happening, my sis' husband is a pretty good attorney (and they are also my poa) and has dealt with cases like that many times.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:17 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,591,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
This story might interest you

Love In A time warp | Charlotte | News | Cover

Personally, I think it's nuts to blame someone else when your marriage breaks up. In most cases people just need to look within and at their partner.
Thanks LM...I'll take a look at that after I catch up on the threads

Old 12-12-2009, 11:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
what a wonderful idea.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:25 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,418 times
If I had the cash I would have paid a lawyer to make a go at one of these cases for me. If only to be a pain in the butt and to teach a ***** a lesson.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:38 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,986,990 times
I saw the news report.
It seems odd in this day and age. A couple can divorce via "no fault" yet there are states that still have this laws on the books.
It's easy to forget that a divorce is a lawsuit - one sues for divorce. It was not that long ago that a reason had to be stated i.e. abuse, etc. Marriage is goverrened by the state governments so, it follows that other lawsuits re: the failure of the marriage would be allowed in some states and not in others.
I think we all think of marriage as a private matter. In fact, it's a legal state and very public.
HUM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships