Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:41 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,710,427 times

Advertisements

I went twice to the same movie, the same day. People gave me the bizarre look. It was 12 months ago and I had to get over fear and depression.

I'll never forget that movie. Both times, the number of folks in the movie was hardly ten or 15
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 04:21 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,894,785 times
Way to go Joel. I go to the movies whenever I feel like doing something. I'm an independant person so I can't have someone else dictating my lifestyle based on someone holding my hand to do everything. I went a few weeks ago to see Precious and was just fine. It must be emancipating for you? Enjoy! Enjoy!
Go to a museum next. I even eat by myself at the bar of a restaurant- either the tv or the bartendars are usually cool to talk to while you're eating.
Life is too short to wait for a co-signer to do everything you want.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:27 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,184,667 times
My dh used to go to the movies by himself all the time (can't any more due to $$). I don't like going alone. Dinner, otoh, I love. Gives me a chance to catch up with myself and read.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:32 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,330,045 times
Did you get a $5 Christmas bonus from the Dukes?

Old 12-15-2009, 04:35 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,216,251 times
liar!!!!

Old 12-15-2009, 06:31 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
If some of you have kept track of my posts, you may have realized I've been thru so much in this whole dating thing; namely online dating.

So last night I had nothing much to do, found a cheap movie theater with some good movies, and went with no hesitation. Then, since it was early I went back in and seen another movie alone; no hesitation.

Just last week I was telling my brother I'd NEVER go to a movie theater alone. But at the same time, the thought of having to find someone to go with, then have that person 'cancel' last minute is just not appealing to me anymore.

Moral of the story, Im not waiting for people anymore. If I want to do something (namely sociable activities) I'll just go. Now, I still haven't mastered going to dinner alone...don't have any plans for that either LOL. But its liberating to not be burdened by someone elses FLAKINESS and FAKENESS.

I was so happy to be able to go without the slightest irritation that I went to the movies alone because I cant get anyone. No, its because sometimes, there's no one else around and why sit around feeling sorry for myself? WHY!?

I didn't realize it was such a big deal to go to the theater alone! I go by myself all the time, and think nothing of it. Now dinner--yes, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that alone, so you got me there.

I'm all about liberation--I've got a heady dose of that myself over the past week, and I can tell you that nothing is as wonderful. Good for you!

It seems you're on the right track here. From experience, it seems like not long after you stop looking, that's generally when you meet someone else. Just focus on stuff that makes you happy, like hobbies and what-not, and the relationship stuff will come.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:07 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
I enjoy an occasional movie alone. There are certain type of movies that I would prefer to see alone than bring along a husband to sit bored out of his mind.

It's been awhile but the last movie I went to see alone was "Volver", and I loved sitting by myself with my container of cheap nachos and soda. (Funny thing is, I've since rented the movie and my husband actually liked the movie!)

Am thinking of going to see "It's Complicated" by myself.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:15 PM

272 posts, read 639,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
I do it all the time but most women don't like my kind of movies? Oh, let's go see a romance/drama movie. Let's not!LOL...... You wouldn't catch me dead in there like a lot of the guys who are whipped.LOL.....

You know what all of those "whipped" guys watching those sappy movies with their wives or girlfriends? 90% are getting laid afterwards!!

Old 12-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,169,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viny80 View Post
You know what all of those "whipped" guys watching those sappy movies with their wives or girlfriends? 90% are getting laid afterwards!!
i got laid after taking a girl to see terminator: salvation

that movie sucked though =/

Old 12-15-2009, 09:49 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,719,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
Moral of the story, Im not waiting for people anymore. If I want to do something (namely sociable activities) I'll just go. Now, I still haven't mastered going to dinner alone...don't have any plans for that either LOL. But its liberating to not be burdened by someone elses FLAKINESS and FAKENESS.

I was so happy to be able to go without the slightest irritation that I went to the movies alone because I cant get anyone. No, its because sometimes, there's no one else around and why sit around feeling sorry for myself? WHY!?
I completely agree! For years there'd be movies I wanted to go see in the theatre and I'd always have friends cancel on me last minute or not be able to find someone who wanted to go. I have easy access to two theatres and one day I finally said "screw it! I'm not missing this movie!" and went alone.

It felt great and if I had to use the bathroom in the middle of the film I didn't have to worry about finding my way back to my seat, nor did I have to worry about a friend yammering on in my ear about "they messed this scene up" or "that actor looks funny in this film". Plus, as a woman who sits at home doing nothing waaaay too much it makes me feel pretty independant.

I don't go to movies alone often, but I don't mind going alone if I really want to see a movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships