Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 02:41 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
I'm about to be single again... can't wait till it happens. I'm so excited about it...
Well, take our advice and hang out at the local boys home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 02:41 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Too bad hindsight is 20/20
Well, I haven't suffered from in-laws much, but the step-monster was more than enough!

Old 12-13-2009, 02:42 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, I haven't suffered from in-laws much, but the step-monster was more than enough!
In my next life I will be hanging out at the gates of the boys home waiting for a hot orphan

Old 12-13-2009, 03:00 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,591,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galactic_hombre View Post
Being single is NOT easy. Please provide some encouraging words for struggling single adults. Write something positive, tell your success story and what it took to get there, or state what keeps you motivated. Feel free to address singles who may:
1. live in a small town with few prospective dates
If relocating isn't an option, consider branching out to communities around you. Get involved in something. Take a look at UrbanBlasphemy's blog for some ideas: //www.city-data.com/blogs/blog1...eet-women.html There are also many threads on here that offer suggestions.
2. feel acute (e.g., breakup, divorce) or chronic loneliness
Getting involved in *something* can often alleviate the loneliness factor. You should also try to embrace your alone time...learn to love it!
3. have a history of attracting people with character flaws (e.g., lying, unfaithfulness, alcohol and drug abuse)
No offense, but look to yourself first to see if there is something that might be attracting these types. If not, just keep telling yourself that you simply haven't met up with the right person yet. There's someone out there for everyone!
4. sexually frustrated
There are ways to take care of that issue....but this forum is PG-13 so I'll just let this one go unanswered......
5. other

I guess in general, don't beat yourself up. Dating isn't easy for most people. Try to find the positive as often as you can and some day when you least expect you will find the person you have been looking for - it happens all the time!

Good luck!

Old 12-13-2009, 03:10 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Work on liking yourself. You'll be better company and you'll never really be lonely.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:40 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times
Sublimate. Take all that raw passion you've stored up for that ever-elusive "special someone" and use it to learn, to create, to pursue the things you are truly passionate about. You will find that even in the darkest moment, this will be the thing that gives you the most meaning.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:43 PM

190 posts, read 413,100 times
One of the best ways to see the benefits of being single is to get into (and out of!) a bad LT relationship. I'm only half joking. It helps you appreciate the value of having nobody but yourself to set the agenda for what you are going to do.

Other thoughts to make the most of it:

- Get out and make platonic friends. this is important and people who aren't serial daters appreciate this and make time for like minded singles. Having emotionally close same sex friends is a very good thing.

- Take up an endurance sport. Find out what running or triathlon events are coming up in a few months and come up with a training plan to do it. If you are focused on a marathon 4 months away then you don't have the time or energy to stare at the walls and wonder what you are doing. Plus it helps sublimate that sexual frustration you mention.

Being single is what you make of it, so make the most of it!

Old 12-13-2009, 08:53 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
I have some encouraging words for singles: Stay Strong.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:59 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,813,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Well, take our advice and hang out at the local boys home
Yeah it would be useful...

Old 12-14-2009, 11:41 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
this is a typical case of grass is greener on the other side...

many married people are miserable and wish they were single any day of the year, many singles are frustrated and lonely and wish they were involved.

I think while it's amazing to be involved with the right person, more often than not there is a lot of BS associated with relationships because most people settle with the wrong person for fear of being lonely only to find themselves miserable again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships