Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 01:15 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
If anything, I think some people hesitate to talk about their good relationships for fear of looking like they're gloating. I've posted a couple of threads for people to say nice things about their spouses, and I've always gotten lots of grateful reps and DMs. Sometimes it seems like every thread is about cheating and divorce and breaking up and bitchy little comments about boyfriends and girlfriends. Oh, with a couple threads about armpit hair and "Ewww, fat people!" thrown in for good measure.

My relationship is not perfect, but I am happy. If you don't like it, you can suck it.
Amen. You said it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 01:17 PM

677 posts, read 1,538,645 times
Gosh, I hope not!! I have read a lot of really good advice here.

I hope those posters weren't posers.......

Old 12-14-2009, 01:24 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I used to think that was true until I met the man who showed me what was possible in a relationship. I thought everyone else was relationshipmiserable and just hid it well or was in denial!

Now I know better!

Old 12-14-2009, 01:31 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
Is it me or do some "posters" exagerrate their relationships, they claim to have the best husbands, best wives, best sex lifes, do it everyday. perfect lifes etc etc, sometimes, coming in here make some of us w problems feel like "damm my relationship is messed up" i mean compared to the people here!
You are using "exaggeration" in the pejorative sense. I prefer to think of posters unintentionally misrepresenting reality. People describing their relationships are by definition emotionally involved, and are therefore subjective. I believe the cliche is "take it with a grain of salt", or to update that, they are putting a "spin" on their story to bend reality to their perception.

So I agree with you, but I expect some "exaggeration", and I don't see it as malicious.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:38 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,218,834 times
Just hard to beleive that theres so many shiny happy people out there! lol
give us tips on a succesful relationship, so we can join your circle!

Old 12-14-2009, 01:50 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Jgive us tips on a succesful relationship, so we can join your circle!
I don't have as much advice about dating as other people do. I only had a few boyfriends before I got married at 22. I was also pregnant at the time, and we're pretty sure that happened on our first date. There ... feel better? Are you completely shocked?

14 years and three children later, we're doing fine. If we can do it, so can you.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:51 PM

20,720 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
If anything, I think some people hesitate to talk about their good relationships for fear of looking like they're gloating. I've posted a couple of threads for people to say nice things about their spouses, and I've always gotten lots of grateful reps and DMs. Sometimes it seems like every thread is about cheating and divorce and breaking up and bitchy little comments about boyfriends and girlfriends. Oh, with a couple threads about armpit hair and "Ewww, fat people!" thrown in for good measure.

My relationship is not perfect, but I am happy. If you don't like it, you can suck it.
Hi JustJulia,

You never disappoint. I agree. I am waiting for my wife to get over her 3rd trimester and postpartum recovery so I can man handle her some more. So no, its not perfect.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:54 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,218,834 times
Not knocking you justjulia more power 2 u serioulsy, i want what you have! Im just saying, its hard to beleive, how people here are so perfect, perfect sex lives, sleep naked, have no financial problems, perfect kids etc etc, do u understand where im coming from>

Old 12-14-2009, 02:00 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Not knocking you justjulia more power 2 u serioulsy, i want what you have! Im just saying, its hard to beleive, how people here are so perfect, perfect sex lives, sleep naked, have no financial problems, perfect kids etc etc, do u understand where im coming from>
I understand. It's kind of like when you get those newsletters at the end of the year from cousins and other relatives ... do you get those? They are always full of good news, how Jimmy got all As, and Johnny made varsity basketball, and Jenny won the spelling bee, and you're thinking, "Are these the same three kids I know? Because those kids are brats!"

Would you really want to get a newsletter with all the bad news? Jimmy got all As after his parents spent $800 on a tutor, and Johnny was suspended for fighting, and Jenny just lost her iPod and her mother is furious! Not so cheerful.

Just remember that you are hearing a tiny, tiny piece of someone's story. You can drive through a beautiful neighborhood and envy the big houses and fancy cars, but you don't know who is drowning in debt or miserable with other problems. You only see what's on the surface. Everybody has problems, just different kinds.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:02 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:

My relationship is not perfect, but I am happy.
+1

Quote:
Where are these people? I see people in good relationships here, but none that don't have any problems. I have a great relationship, but we don't have money. My dh has to sleep on the floor because of his back. I only get to have sex (mostly) in the summer and winter break.

Perhaps you are just taking the best from each and morphing it into one entity. OTOH, since becoming a member on CD, it certainly helps me recognize how fortunate I am. My dh is kind and compassionate. That tends to be a rarity around some parts of this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships