Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 02:55 PM

38 posts, read 67,246 times

Advertisements

I have decided that in order to not go absolutely crazy, I’m converting to the way that my SO thinks. I’ve heard him say, “As long as (my name goes here) doesn’t find out, I’m game, or I’ll go along with that.”, and “If it’s a pretty girl involved, I’ll volunteer.” He has said “As long as I’m home every night, I can do whatever I want while she is working as long as (my name goes here) doesn’t find out.”

I have put up with this for seven years and I’ve left him four times just to have him talk me into coming back. So, the only way to get through this is to say, “I can do and act as if I’m single as long as (his name goes here) doesn’t find out and I’m home every night.

There is no trust, no discussion between us, no nothing. All we have in common is that we both like the same things on TV. Great. Whenever I try to talk things out, he just gets angry and so I shut up. But yet, when I say, “Let’s split up”, he says that he can’t live without me. Geesh. He tells me that he loves me and that I’m the apple of his eye, but I just don’t feel it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 03:10 PM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,179,751 times
I have a picture of a smiley thats animated and it holds a gun

it slowly picks it up and then turns it toward it's head

even slower now it brings it close to it's head and nothing happens

just as slow it takes the gun that didn't fire off a round and puts it in front of it's face confused

eventually after looking and playing the gun goes off

end of story.

I share this story as it is true but for me just to put the animated pic up

I just don't believe it would have the same effect..

Good luck in whatever it is you decide to do

Old 12-15-2009, 03:12 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Emotional blackmail is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

As long as you're willing to put up with it do you think he'll change? Then again, perhaps this is what you want if, along with sharing TV tastes you also share his lack of fidelity and his hedonism.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:15 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
You ought to read the tread about why women file for divorce. I'd bail on my SO with a realtionship like yours.

Don't let him talk you into staying.

Forget everything I just said if you got kids.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:20 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,508 times
You need to get out of that relationship. If you have kids you need to get out of the relationship anyway. Thats no way for someone to be treated and if the kids see it they will think that is okay behavior.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:22 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,541,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm48532 View Post
I have decided that in order to not go absolutely crazy, I’m converting to the way that my SO thinks. I’ve heard him say, “As long as (my name goes here) doesn’t find out, I’m game, or I’ll go along with that.”, and “If it’s a pretty girl involved, I’ll volunteer.” He has said “As long as I’m home every night, I can do whatever I want while she is working as long as (my name goes here) doesn’t find out.”

I have put up with this for seven years and I’ve left him four times just to have him talk me into coming back. So, the only way to get through this is to say, “I can do and act as if I’m single as long as (his name goes here) doesn’t find out and I’m home every night.

There is no trust, no discussion between us, no nothing. All we have in common is that we both like the same things on TV. Great. Whenever I try to talk things out, he just gets angry and so I shut up. But yet, when I say, “Let’s split up”, he says that he can’t live without me. Geesh. He tells me that he loves me and that I’m the apple of his eye, but I just don’t feel it.
Breaks my heart to read this. You're negotiating reasons to stay, by reducing yourself to his level, when you should walk and stay gone. I know it is easier said than done, but I pray you find the strength sooner than later.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:23 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,715 times
Why would you want to stay in a relationship like that?!? Put on your big girl pants and walk the hell out the door.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:31 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Don't put up with that b/s. That is no way to live, it is a **** poor example for your children. It might hurt for a short while, but in the long run would be far better off.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:39 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,924,538 times
it sounds like he's controlling you.

classic behaviour of an abuser. it might not FEEL like abuse, but that doesn't mean it isn't.

do some googling about domestic abuse/domestic violence.
if you're interested, PM me, and i can point you in the direction of a good place.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:07 PM

38 posts, read 67,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Emotional blackmail is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

As long as you're willing to put up with it do you think he'll change? Then again, perhaps this is what you want if, along with sharing TV tastes you also share his lack of fidelity and his hedonism.
You are right. I'm not stepping down to his level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships