Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:14 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
You can make your fb where only friends can send you stuff and look at your profile.
Exactly! But, you'd be surprised how many people don't have their privacy settings on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 11:33 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
On the other end of the spectrum are women who are sick of prom dates from 25 years ago, ex boyfriends, etc. crawling out of the woodwork and sending emails or friend requests with notes blathering on about the woman's looks.
Welcome to my world...

Old 02-16-2011, 09:12 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,974 times
Facebook is not the real world. It amazes me how many people seem to think it is.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:16 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
I have noticed that some of my friends don't have their picture up, I assume its because they don't have a picture they like and that's it. I have a picture of myself on there and my relationship status is listed. I only notice the relationship status if the conversation goes in a direction that makes me wonder if they are single.
I have my grade school classmates as well as my high school and college friends on there, people I don't keep up with any other way.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:46 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
What a woman's facebook page says about herself - ALOT.

Single people who post hourly what they do, why they do it, what they think about it, initiate and participate in discussing stuff that is too stupid to discuss - I think that says alot about this person: this person needs to get a life and real friends and stop annoying other people.

I stopped FB because I was so fed up with all this BS posting, I don't give a damn when people clean their windows, have their monthly cramps, wonder why the sky is blue and let the whole world know about it. Do you really want 30-300 people know when you got your period? You go to work and all your coworkers know? Really?? You think you are so important that everybody cares?

And then suddenly all these "old friends" show up that you were so happy you never hear from them again and want to be 'reconnected'. If they were real friends, you wouldn't have lost touch or tried to find them a long time ago.

I am done with FB. I used it for being connected with friends that are far away and we started out posting every now when something funny/serious/important happened or to share the newest vacation pictures.

Then suddenly all these coworkers/neighbors/collegemates wanted to be befriended and got offended if rejected. And when I add them as friends, they swamp me with their boring hourly updates.

I would never date a guy that posts everything that I say, do, think or what we do together, where we go, what he thinks about me, posts my pictures, etc. WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED TO PRIVACY???

Old 02-17-2011, 06:06 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I've noticed some interesting trends on Facebook. Is it just me or do a lot of single women who are ""outside the American society's view of beautiful"" not post any pictures of themselves on their page - sometimes even using an avatar for their profile picture??

I've also noticed that a lot of chronically single women remove their relationship status from their page - I'm not sure whether they're embarrassed or have just given up.

What thinkest thou about these observations???
I think you place far too much value on FB. I have GOBS of pictures of myself...but they are there for my family and friends. I don't have an open profile, every single element is secured. I also have been in a relationship for over a year, with a guy that also has a FB page (though he rarely accesses the site) and neither of us has even bothered with the "relationship status" thing. It matters not a whit. As far as those that have no pics...most of them simply don't like to have their picture online - it's a privacy issue.

If you are trying to use FB as a dating site, you've made a mistake.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:35 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I think you place far too much value on FB. I have GOBS of pictures of myself...but they are there for my family and friends. I don't have an open profile, every single element is secured. I also have been in a relationship for over a year, with a guy that also has a FB page (though he rarely accesses the site) and neither of us has even bothered with the "relationship status" thing. It matters not a whit. As far as those that have no pics...most of them simply don't like to have their picture online - it's a privacy issue.

If you are trying to use FB as a dating site, you've made a mistake.
You hit it on the head, Chessie.

Who cares, if someone has a pic or not. What does it say about you to assume she's less pretty, than you.

Get over yourself ladies.

It's Facebook. No more and no less. GEESH!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:04 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I've noticed some interesting trends on Facebook. Is it just me or do a lot of single women who are ""outside the American society's view of beautiful"" not post any pictures of themselves on their page - sometimes even using an avatar for their profile picture??

I've also noticed that a lot of chronically single women remove their relationship status from their page - I'm not sure whether they're embarrassed or have just given up.

What thinkest thou about these observations???
In answer to your first question...Why do you presume that women who don't post their picture are "outside the american societys view of beautiful"???...Maybe they want to correspond on the plane of thoughts and intellect rather than outward looks........Also, how do you know that women who don't post their relationship status are chronically single???, You are quite full of presumptions ,but that's ALL they are.You come across as very judgemental, and that's probably why this information seems to mean so much to you.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:08 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Then suddenly all these coworkers/neighbors/collegemates wanted to be befriended and got offended if rejected. And when I add them as friends, they swamp me with their boring hourly updates.
There's a way to hide the update from particular people. Right click on their post when you see the x and it will have that feature. Useful for folks that you would like to add for one reason or another but have a lot of updates and the such.
I also use groups to only send out updates to particular people, not everyone that's on my page.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:35 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,376,989 times
When I first got on FB, I noticed that some folks have a photo on, but it sure wasn't a current one.........for whatever reasons. I also noticed that under Relationship I'd see "In a relationship" then read "Interested in women" (or men) depending on the person who has the page or "It's complicated" under Relationship area and "Interested in women" (or men) in the other area.
People even like playing games on FB!!
As for me, I'm married, proud of it and one of my profile pics is of my wife and I. Under "Inspiration" I have "My wife!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships