Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:37 AM

350 posts, read 4,157,478 times

Advertisements

Do you feel left out this holiday season--while all your co-workers and family are out at holiday parties every weekend, you're sitting home alone because you didn't get any invitations? Or you open your mailbox and don't get a single holiday card the entire holiday season, even though you send out plenty every year but no one reciprocates? Do you invite people out to do fun things but they're so crazy busy with holiday gatherings they don't have time for you? Do you find the holidays depressing because it makes you feel even more isolated and disconnected from others than you usually do?

I feel exactly like this. Anyone else feel the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 09:43 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,178,422 times
Holidays have a tendency to make us reflect and concern ourselves with things that otherwise wouldn't occupy our time. I would try not to get to caught up in the hype of the time and enjoy life as it is without any expectation from anyone. Easier said than done I know but that's an approach I use and it lessons the anxiety I feel anyway. Good luck!

Old 12-17-2009, 09:49 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,922,877 times
holiday ?
do you mean christmas ?

Old 12-17-2009, 09:55 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,359,009 times
During some of the Christmas Holidays that I was completely single (no girlfriend at all), I didn't get depressed, but I sure wasn't exactly super happy either. I never decorated where I lived or went to church for Holiday Services. I did go to a company Christmas Party once, that was a total blast, but I did take a girl that I knew. That even made it more fun!
Now that I'm married, the Holidays are so, so much better for me! Decorations, church and some very nice gifts. Totally cool!

Old 12-17-2009, 09:56 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,322,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl-r View Post
Holidays have a tendency to make us reflect and concern ourselves with things that otherwise wouldn't occupy our time. I would try not to get to caught up in the hype of the time and enjoy life as it is without any expectation from anyone. Easier said than done I know but that's an approach I use and it lessons the anxiety I feel anyway. Good luck!
You took the words right out of my fingertips!

Old 12-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,168,630 times
get better friends

Old 12-17-2009, 10:45 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,242,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
Do you feel left out this holiday season--while all your co-workers and family are out at holiday parties every weekend, you're sitting home alone because you didn't get any invitations? Or you open your mailbox and don't get a single holiday card the entire holiday season, even though you send out plenty every year but no one reciprocates? Do you invite people out to do fun things but they're so crazy busy with holiday gatherings they don't have time for you? Do you find the holidays depressing because it makes you feel even more isolated and disconnected from others than you usually do?

I feel exactly like this. Anyone else feel the same?
I want to cry after reading this! When I hear of people being alone it makes me terribly sad....there are billions of people on this planet and there is no excuse for someone to be alone(if they don't want to be, of course!)...we are becoming less and less connected in a more technologically connected world...I would have you to my house if you lived close!

Old 12-17-2009, 10:51 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
holiday ?
do you mean christmas ?
Do you mean Christmas? (Not capitalizing Christ seems to nullify your point, dontchathink?)

Old 12-17-2009, 10:56 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,922,877 times
so, not putting in a capital letter nullifies a point ?

good one.

i can see the logic there. not !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Do you mean Christmas? (Not capitalizing Christ seems to nullify your point, dontchathink?)

Old 12-17-2009, 10:59 AM

350 posts, read 4,157,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I want to cry after reading this! When I hear of people being alone it makes me terribly sad....there are billions of people on this planet and there is no excuse for someone to be alone(if they don't want to be, of course!)...we are becoming less and less connected in a more technologically connected world...I would have you to my house if you lived close!
Thanks, I appreciate it! I just wish I felt less invisible to other people in general, and more connected. It's just so hard to make new friends as an adult and feel connected when you're a relative newcomer to an area. The holidays, with everyone going to holiday parties, and everyone being "crazy busy" all the time, just makes the isolation more noticeable. Everyone seems to describe the holidays as "crazy." I guess they are when you have lots of friends to visit and who are visiting you, holiday parties to attend, presents to buy and send out, etc. but not when none of these things applies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships