Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 07:52 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times

Advertisements

I've seen a lot of lying from narcissistic people, especially crazy-lying, like when you present them with evidence and they will continue to lie right to your face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 07:55 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
lol I know and have you noticed they are usually educated and have status and reputation in their so-called field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
I've seen a lot of lying from narcissistic people, especially crazy-lying, like when you present them with evidence and they will continue to lie right to your face.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:57 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
What all of us women should understand is that if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it doesn't really matter if it's diagnosed as a duck! Just cook the damn duck!

Old 12-17-2009, 07:59 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraaz View Post
what all of us women should understand is that if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it doesn't really matter if it's diagnosed as a duck! Just cook the damn duck!:d
lmao!!!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:01 PM

To be honest. Women can be just as narcissistic as men. There really isn't a barrier that prevents women from being very self absorbed and exploitative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
lmao!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
What all of us women should understand is that if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it doesn't really matter if it's diagnosed as a duck! Just cook the damn duck!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:29 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
lol I know and have you noticed they are usually educated and have status and reputation in their so-called field?

Well, I don't know about that. I'm talking more along the lines of "Here is the pot I found in your room" while holding bag in hand

"Oh, that's from a really long time ago....I don't do that anymore"

OR

"This is my CD that you stole and I know it's mine because I scratched my initials into the case."

"I didn't steal it, I just borrowed it."

OR, my personal favorite

"This is a love letter I found in your pants pocket while doing laundry."

"That's not mine. I've never seen that before. It must have gotten in there by accident somehow."

Sooooooo glad I'm single now.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:38 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,648,581 times
Oh. . . Ok, I will throw this out for shyts-n-giggles.

The very last time I had visited my ex in prison during a disagreement before he was served divorce papers.

Him: Listen, I am the man of the house and you will obey me.

(I looked around the visitation yard a moment absorbing those words)

Me: You may be the MAN of THIS house, but you are not the man of MY house.

What a DORK!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:38 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I'm trying to put together some info for the abuse victims I work with. I've searched the net looking for examples of what narcissists might say and do and I have seen some good examples but wondered if any of you, either through experience or knowledge, have anything to contribute.

One example I found was from a woman who said her mother bought her a present and told her she wasn't sure it was the daughter's style, but it was hers (mom's) and if she didn't like it she (mom) could use a new purse.

"You always do things just to p*ss me off."

"You live to make me crazy."
You really work with abuse victims? And yet you don't know the psychiatric definition of "narcissist?" I only ask this because your example of the woman and the gift purse really had nothing to do with what the DSM-V (the shrink's bible) terms "Narcissistic Personality Disorder." That particular disorder is closer to that of a sociopath. Narcs. think rules only apply to others and that they are above them, and they can justify any of their deeds--no matter how cruel or thoughtless--so as to cast themselves in a better light. They can act very irrationally, and very often will break-off relationships for no apparent reason, other than to make sure that they are the dumpers and not the dumpees. They are totally, hopelessly, obsessively in love with themselves. Indeed, the name comes from the Greek myth of someone who fell into a pond from gazing at his own refelction too long.
Narcissism is far more severe and delusional than what was depicted in your example, which to me was a case of simply rude behavior.
(I was diagnosed with Narc. Disorder about 15 years ago. But I was a heavy drinker back then (sober now 6 years) and have since mended my ways and am a bit more rational. I also work with AA and CODA.)

Old 12-17-2009, 08:46 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,648,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
That particular disorder is closer to that of a sociopath. Narcs. think rules only apply to others and that they are above them, and they can justify any of their deeds--no matter how cruel or thoughtless--so as to cast themselves in a better light. They can act very irrationally, and very often will break-off relationships for no apparent reason, other than to make sure that they are the dumpers and not the dumpees. They are totally, hopelessly, obsessively in love with themselves.
Ye-up. Agree 100%. That is my ex. Even after he was served his divorce papers, I was the one who was "dumped," as he told others. Not him. He made up a whole story how I was given the silent treatment and so forth and I just "came to terms with it," or however his story went. All his stories were like looking through stained glass VS what the real truth was. His always made it so that he came out on top. I need to write a book on this foiker.

Thank you, felt good to vent about his sheotheadedness.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:51 PM

That isn't narcissism. Unethical or rude behavior perhaps? Addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
Well, I don't know about that. I'm talking more along the lines of "Here is the pot I found in your room" while holding bag in hand

"Oh, that's from a really long time ago....I don't do that anymore"

OR

"This is my CD that you stole and I know it's mine because I scratched my initials into the case."

"I didn't steal it, I just borrowed it."

OR, my personal favorite

"This is a love letter I found in your pants pocket while doing laundry."

"That's not mine. I've never seen that before. It must have gotten in there by accident somehow."

Sooooooo glad I'm single now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships