Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 09:15 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
That doesn't look like a bandana to me.
Whatever it is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 06:13 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I found this picture of my buddy Jason and 2 girls we met in Belmar,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I know he's your buddy, but IMHO that's such a waste of a nice face... He can be a great-looking man if he weren't working against himself. Of course, that all depends on the target audience and it looks like he does OK with his chosen audience.
Oh gosh I was JUST thinking the exact same thing! I guess it just takes time to learn these things.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:23 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times
I am here at Lifetime Fitness, I got here at 5:30 am this morning, My friend said that it is normal for a person feel like he/she is 20 years old again after breaking up a long term relationship, I think this is how I am feeling,heck I am even listening to the same radio station I used to listen to when I was 20, the one with the *thumping* club dance music

I guess, I will start looking into marriage after I turn 50, until then, I have about 18 more years to enjoy the opposite sex and work on my muscles hahaha

Old 12-24-2009, 06:34 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
I'm pretty muscular (only because I don't desire to be VERY muscular). Have no trouble getting female attention. I don't brag about my workouts which I do in various forms 5 days a week or brag about the weights I can lift. Its about keeping a balance in life, don't get too obssesive. Funny thing for me is been working out or other forms of exercise for over 10 years, don't even see myself as that muscular because I am so acustomed to it.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:53 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,218,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antlered chamataka View Post
another of those self-marketing threads
my thoughts exactly "women look at me like im a piece of meat" mas pu......

Old 12-24-2009, 09:03 PM

720 posts, read 1,408,158 times
Meh, doesn't matter too much to me.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:07 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Bodybuilders have big, well-defined muscles, but they train for appearance, not for strength.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:19 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Bodybuilders have big, well-defined muscles, but they train for appearance, not for strength.
Very true. There are about 3 main ways to train, the middle of which leaves a person with the most strenght per pound. Not necessarily the meatheads a person sees in the gym

Old 12-28-2009, 06:51 AM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,690 times
Oh repubrocrat. So naive. So many answers to this question. First, what makes you think they were checking out your muscles? (or any guys' muscles for that matter?)

Second, it's not like we want to look at the obese guy struggling to breath on the treadmill. Do guys check out the overweight 40 somethings? I would bet they have their eyes on the hottie 20 somethings more often than not. (note: generalization - not that there aren't hot 40's).

Third, we're working out, releasing some killer endorphins, biology might suggest that it is only natural to be searching out some eye candy. This doesn't mean these women want you, to see you naked, or to be anywhere near you once they leave the gym. Just trying to pass the time. They are probably thinking about their own boyfriends or husbands....not the old dude in the corner proud of his baby biceps.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:31 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,330,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
I do have to poke in here again and point out something:

I'm reading through the thread and what I'm seeing is a LOT of flak being thrown at those who go to the gym and begin muscling up.

I'd just about guarantee that every single one of you who belittles the gym culture or keeps harping on about moderation while stating things which clearly demonstrate a goal far, far short of actual moderation (meaning making excuses for NOT going to the gym WHILE belittling gym culture) have never been especially fit in your life outside whatever natural fitness was bequeathed you by your now-gone or fading youth.

I spent years in the military regularly going to the gym. I'm older now and have gotten out of the military and my lifestyle has been terrible for the last several years for various reasons. In short, I've gotten downright fat and I'm fortunate to still pack some muscle underneath or I'd be a hideous blob.

During those years in the gym one of the most common things I ever heard from people was the following:

"I want to start going to the gym but I don't want to get huge, okay?"

Whenever I've trained someone I've heard that 100 percent of the time unless their goal WAS to get huge. Always.

Let's get something straight about the human physique here: While there are different body types with some more prone to easily acquiring muscle than others, you are NOT going to just explode with giant, water-bloated muscles of massive size, let alone the ripped-and-shredded physique of bodybuilders in contest shape. You're just NOT.

That takes years... and years... and years of devotion to the muscle-building school of thought. It's NOT going to happen just because you walk into a gym and do a few curls. If it was that easy Arnold wouldn't be Arnold, he'd be some aging Austrian somewhere in Austria.

And another thing I've seen over... and OVER and OVER again in the gym is someone who's told me they don't want to get huge, and about six weeks into training they're not seeing a LITTLE difference, they're starting to really take note -- and they LIKE what they see.

It doesn't take much at all by way of training, and NO encouragement whatsoever to get a trainee, man or woman, to pop that first double-bicep shot in the mirror because they've never seen themselves like that before and they are in BLISS.

A huge misconception people have about the mirrors in the gym is that they're for vanity's sake. While that is an unavoidable effect, the fact is that the mirror is your best friend in the gym, a useful tool for evaluation, an aid to proper, strict, SAFE form in the execution of exercises. It's also a psychological tool because the more you see yourself improving in the mirror, the more determination you achieve.

So all you folks who "hate" the gym culture, either A) get in there and try it for long enough to see whether you like it (I recommend 6 weeks, minimum for new gym-goers who have to learn their way around, get over the self-esteem and self-consciousness issues that come with a physical arena, learn the exercises and THEN have enough time to see some results) or B) stop criticizing something you know nothing about.
Repped, and I've read every page so far.

Urban speaks the truth.

Some of you here know I am a regular at a website very similar to CD, except that it's about bodybuilding, weightlifting, fitness, and the rest. Some of the veterans there (including men in their 40s and 50s who have been lifting for 15-20 years or longer) make me, a 5'10", 200lb man who can bench press more than his own weight look like a child.

Yet, I have found many of these lifters to be absolutely normal people. They are fathers, husbands, teachers, business owners, retirees, etc. Many of these are intelligent, educated, and down-to-Earth individuals who just happen to have become devotees of healthy lifestyles. I've learned a lot about the world of bodybuilding and weightlifting thanks to some of these classy folks who were kind enough to help me when I had questions.

Urban is also completely correct in saying that it takes YEARS of very hard work to get those super-builds. One man in his 60s once said he's eaten so many chicken breasts he felt like he'd grow feathers. The work required - a constant battle to eat properly (enough meals a day, enough calories and protein) day in and day out is very, very challenging.

One of the most annoying things we see in that website are teenagers and/or newbies who are impatient and want to look like an Olympic gymnast in 1 year. Many such people quit when the results do not come as fast as they'd like. It takes TIME!

I have been at it for 4 years now and although I've gained much size and strength, and have earned compliments from both men and women along my journey, look nothing like an Olympic gymnast. I still have much to learn and much to accomplish.

So don't bash us gym rats. Many of us started this because we were in terrible shape. Many of us were 100 or more pounds overweight and are now very fit. Some of us are single parents or mommies of 3 kids who shed fat galore and are now looking and feeling better than we did in our 20s. It's an exciting, fun, and yes, sometimes frustrating journey, but it's worth every minute of it, every rep done, every trip to the gym, every bead of sweat shed while on the treadmill, every sit-up, every healthy meal, and every dollar spent on SOLID supplements (and the majority of gym rats who do want to get large and ripped CONDEMN the use of anabolic steroids - we want to BUILD our bodies, not destroy them).

I will go to the gym tomorrow. The squat rack is my friend. The bench press is my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships