Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever used someone in a relationship?
Yes 4 28.57%
No 9 64.29%
Sort of 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 07:20 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times

Advertisements

I watched a True Life episode today that left me with the feeling that one person was using the other for emotional and maybe financial support and then discarded that sap without remorse. Without naming names, I've heard from acquaintances about it being done out in the real world, women using men.

Have you ever been in a relationship where someone was using the other person for sex, resources, emotional support, to avoid being alone, or something and did not really care about that person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 07:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
when one loves the other more, the relationship rapidly takes on that of a pusher and an addict.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:27 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
I haven't done it, but I was used in my last relationship. I basically supported him while he went through college and the minute he graduated and found someone hotter than me he cheated on me then left. No remorse whatsoever.

I haven't used anyone as far as I know, but it sucks being the one who was used.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:29 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I watched a True Life episode today that left me with the feeling that one person was using the other for emotional and maybe financial support and then discarded that sap without remorse. Without naming names, I've heard from acquaintances about it being done out in the real world, women using men.

Have you ever been in a relationship where someone was using the other person for sex, resources, emotional support, to avoid being alone, or something and did not really care about that person?
isnt that called ...marriage ??

Old 07-28-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I haven't done it, but I was used in my last relationship. I basically supported him while he went through college and the minute he graduated and found someone hotter than me he cheated on me then left. No remorse whatsoever.

I haven't used anyone as far as I know, but it sucks being the one who was used.
That sounds like the worst story that was relayed to me, except it was a woman going through law school and I don't know if a third party was involved. I already knew to avoid female lawyers

Old 07-28-2013, 08:21 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,703,578 times
Pointless poll

Some people are born with the manipulative gene and simply get their kicks from manipulating others (eg getting someone to buy them stuff or do things for them). If you have the gene you will answer yes. Overwhelming majority of successful sales people are manipulators.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:29 PM

I prefer to avoid thinking about evil people.

Anyway, I like the poll and think it and the thread deserve more attention. I don't have any more stories of my own to tell, because they're too fragmented and speculative, but I'll say I believe blatant using is more common than in the past.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:32 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
i'm confused about this dichotomy between 'using someone' and 'caring about them'

i tend to look at relationships as two people who mutually use one another, and also care about one another.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:35 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,547,020 times
get real, there are always mutual benefits in a relationship. "using" someone is high school talk. if there is no emotional connections, caring, love involved, it will eventually surface. and sometimes, it's just a mutual understood arrangement, e.g., young attractive women hooking up with men of means

Old 07-29-2013, 12:42 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,960,259 times
I don't think the majority of people will admit being guilty of the subject of this thread.
Also, IME, people that do display such behavior usually feel that the other person 'deserved it'.

In most of eveyone's actions, people feel justified in whatever path they travel.

That's why this thread won't get much attention. Very few people will admit to 'the evil that men do' from a personnal perspective. And not only that, but many evils that people do are prompty followed up with their story as to why they are justified to behave as such. Regardless if their excuse to use someone is true or not, many people out there will do all kinds of things that are rude, offensive, or manilulative/using.

Just as in this forum, there are two sides to every story. Most of the time, it is difficult to hear both sides of a story, but I'm sure if people heard/knew the truth to many stories, the perception of many a 'good' people would change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships