Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-31-2010, 11:48 AM
 
3,948 posts, read 4,304,622 times
Reputation: 1277

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
It's much easier to say this when you're not the one in the situation. Blacks really could give a rat's ass about what whites think, seriously. But unfortunately whites are the majority in this country and therefor control A LOT. Which does account for a great deal. Obama as an example.

Why do you think Obama gave his famous race speech? Because there are a lot of whites in this country that STILL have a narrow minded view of blacks. Obama had to put those insecure whites "at ease" in order to get there vote. There has never been 1 white President that has made a speech like that to blacks. I hope you don't think that speech was for all Americans? Yes, it sucks to have those concerns but let's not fool ourselves such as what you're doing. We have to focus on WHAT IS not HOW IT SHOULD BE. The reality of it is SOME whites judge blacks harshly because NEGATIVITY is what many of them see when it comes to blacks.


And you must be naive to think blacks are not all painted with the same brush because often times we are. Any sensible thinking white person will agree with that.
I have no agreement with what you are saying and I still stand by what I said even with what you just posted. Black people should care about how one another acts because we want to better our community and the future, making things more positive for black children, so they won't have to think that the negative things that we see more often in our community are the first option. I'm not worried about what white people think about me or my fellow black people, in fact, it has always been somewhat comical to even think that black people have to live up to "white standards." We should first have a desire to develop our own standards within our community and family and then live up to them.

 
Old 01-31-2010, 12:06 PM
 
Location: In my view finder.....
8,515 posts, read 16,179,786 times
Reputation: 8079
I follow what you're saying but again let's not fool ourselves. Your pie in the sky thinking is all good but again I focus on what is not what should be.

Just last Sunday I got on the Subway and just about everyone in section in which I was standing was white. So I stood next to this white guy and he IMMEDIATELY reached in his packet to hold his wallet and he never pulled his hand out until he got off the train. The entire time he kept glancing over at me.

THAT SUCKS and it get's old. So yes, I do care.

Ask the Jewish community if they care about how their image is viewed? You better believe they do. They take great effort to ensure that the are portrayed in a positive light. They care about what others think. That's why they have The Anti-Defamation League.

And no I am in no way a "threatening" looking guy. Most people see my photo and say 2 things-You look like Obama or you look like a CEO. I sure as heck don't look like Obama but I can understand why people say that.




Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I have no agreement with what you are saying and I still stand by what I said even with what you just posted. Black people should care about how one another acts because we want to better our community and the future, making things more positive for black children, so they won't have to think that the negative things that we see more often in our community are the first option. I'm not worried about what white people think about me or my fellow black people, in fact, it has always been somewhat comical to even think that black people have to live up to "white standards." We should first have a desire to develop our own standards within our community and family and then live up to them.
 
Old 01-31-2010, 12:09 PM
 
Location: So Cal
52,205 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Reputation: 52707
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I have no agreement with what you are saying and I still stand by what I said even with what you just posted. Black people should care about how one another acts because we want to better our community and the future, making things more positive for black children, so they won't have to think that the negative things that we see more often in our community are the first option. I'm not worried about what white people think about me or my fellow black people, in fact, it has always been somewhat comical to even think that black people have to live up to "white standards." We should first have a desire to develop our own standards within our community and family and then live up to them.
There shouldn't be a white or black standard. People should just conduct themselves in a proper way.

No need to label it with a "color".
 
Old 01-31-2010, 12:13 PM
 
Location: In my view finder.....
8,515 posts, read 16,179,786 times
Reputation: 8079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
There shouldn't be a white or black standard. People should just conduct themselves in a proper way.

No need to label it with a "color".
Good point. Very good point.
 
Old 01-31-2010, 02:00 PM
 
47 posts, read 93,239 times
Reputation: 21
There really isn't an answer that would satify all the posters. Even if the answer was to be re-phrased:

Are men attracted to attractive women? Since there not all men like women.

In short -- yes, some white men are attracted to some women.

Some [INSERT race/ethnicity/label/group/membership] men are attracted to some [XXXXX] women.

frontline: a class divided | PBS
 
Old 01-31-2010, 02:02 PM
 
12 posts, read 20,034 times
Reputation: 21
Black woman are not attarcted to white men unless they look like george clooney or brad pitt.

Now white men are kinda turned off by this factt, unless they look like a guy out the movie not realistic so generally not
 
Old 01-31-2010, 03:36 PM
 
14,078 posts, read 16,603,075 times
Reputation: 17654
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookerTea View Post
Black woman are not attarcted to white men unless they look like george clooney or brad pitt.
That's like me saying that white men aren't attracted to black women unless they look like Vanessa Williams, Halle Berry, Tyra Banks, etc, and I know from personal experience that that's not true. In those instances, I think we're talking about people who aren't generally attracted to a particular ethnic group, but can find one or two "hot" examples. Black women who are genuinely attracted to white men don't require them all to look like Brad and George.
 
Old 01-31-2010, 03:38 PM
 
1,067 posts, read 1,998,486 times
Reputation: 471
Who cares...

It's all about love, respect and dignity. Color is the last thing to worry about.
 
Old 01-31-2010, 03:47 PM
 
3,948 posts, read 4,304,622 times
Reputation: 1277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
There shouldn't be a white or black standard. People should just conduct themselves in a proper way.

No need to label it with a "color".
I wish it were that way, but there are such things as communities and identities, the way we relate to one another and the people we live amongst. You can't tell a neighborhood that is predominantly black that they are not living amongst a black community. Also, in this country, black people have always had to stick together, historically, we only had one another for so much of the time and there is a special association and identity. Just like Italians in some areas, just like Irish-Americans, it just exists. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to care about other black people and black people as a whole to make some positive things and outnumber the negatives. Can black people work to better humanity period, of course, but what is wrong with wanting to make things better for the black community?
 
Old 01-31-2010, 03:54 PM
 
3,948 posts, read 4,304,622 times
Reputation: 1277
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookerTea View Post
Black woman are not attarcted to white men unless they look like george clooney or brad pitt.

Now white men are kinda turned off by this factt, unless they look like a guy out the movie not realistic so generally not
Not truuuueee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top