Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:47 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times

Advertisements

hmmm well I'm not sure how folks who grew up in single parent households get to be vilified all over again but if I had to choose, at this point I'm going with the fella who was raised by a single mother over some of those "happily married" Italian Mumma's boys I came across back in high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 01:07 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
hmmm well I'm not sure how folks who grew up in single parent households get to be vilified all over again but if I had to choose, at this point I'm going with the fella who was raised by a single mother over some of those "happily married" Italian Mumma's boys I came across back in high school.

Hi moonshadow,

You just reminded me of something I have read about in Italy itself.

Mammoni

Sicilian Culture: The News: "Mammoni" From CBS 60 Minutes

I am certainly not trying to vilify the victims of single parent homes and I would include victims as children and spouses that were widowed.

Either way I think the feminine princess or Joan of Arc is still looking for a similar kind of man. Nature's efficiency will answer and so far it seems mama's boys are not reproducing.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:44 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,192,691 times
Nowt wrong with being close to your mum. I sometimes run quite a few things with my mum before making a final decision, and if that makes me a mama's boy, then so be it, I'll happily be that. - It's ridiculous. Nobody would bat an eyelid if I was close to my father, which I am. I consult things with him that I don't have much experience in like buying a house, buy cars and even relationship advice if I ever needed some.

I have strong ties with my family - especially my old man - and I've noticed in some cases that if a woman doesn't like the relationship a man has with his mum then she's quick to label him mama's boy. Laughable. Utterly laughable.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:55 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,813,488 times
It depends on how he handles his relationship with his mother. If it comes to the point where his mother is everywhere even when going on a date with the woman then it becomes a problem.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:00 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrans View Post
Nowt wrong with being close to your mum. I sometimes run quite a few things with my mum before making a final decision, and if that makes me a mama's boy, then so be it, I'll happily be that. - It's ridiculous. Nobody would bat an eyelid if I was close to my father, which I am. I consult things with him that I don't have much experience in like buying a house, buy cars and even relationship advice if I ever needed some.

I have strong ties with my family - especially my old man - and I've noticed in some cases that if a woman doesn't like the relationship a man has with his mum then she's quick to label him mama's boy. Laughable. Utterly laughable.
Hi Dorrans,

There is nothing wrong with being a mama's boy to a point. Certainly having a close relationship with one's mother is good. The main point of the OP is when men relate to other women as they do their mother. A broken wing causes maternal instinct in a mother whereas a potential mate sees weakness.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
I would say this is less about "golly, men are wimps" and more about an observation on our society and how it's affecting men -- and in turn, affecting women and relationships.
if that is so i think it of equal importance to remember that "mama" is also a woman. she also may have an opinion about how her son is being treated. i think mothers have been too little involved in marriage unlike the OP assertion- that mother in law involvement with their son was harmful. of course mother in law involvement, aka soccer mom, is an oriental perspective. in the mid and far east the mother in law plays a huge role in keeping the level playing field level. i have come in late years to greatly value the presence of a soccer mom. people do not in fact play fair.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:18 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
I think if a man was brought up with a helicopter mom and was too close to his mother, this could lead to a problem in his relationships.

I also think that if a man was brought up with a careless mom and he wasn't close to her at all, than it would also lead to problems in his relationships. They are either too independent because they are not used to female love/care and attention or too dependent for the same exact reasons.

It's quite obvious that some men are seeking for "mamas" when they are looking for mates, it's not a new observation by any means.

A man who had a strong, but healthy bond with his mother will not need a replacement or a substitute, but a partner in life who will give him something else.

Bottom line - I want to make sure that my son will have healthy attitude on relationships and I'm really trying to have a balanced relationship with him in hopes that he will not look for another "mom".

Old 12-20-2009, 03:22 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi moonshadow,

You just reminded me of something I have read about in Italy itself.

Mammoni

Sicilian Culture: The News: "Mammoni" From CBS 60 Minutes

I am certainly not trying to vilify the victims of single parent homes and I would include victims as children and spouses that were widowed.

Either way I think the feminine princess or Joan of Arc is still looking for a similar kind of man. Nature's efficiency will answer and so far it seems mama's boys are not reproducing.
Well I can only go with what I know and I don't see a correlation between single parent households and Mumma's boys.
In fact of the men I know and love the Mumma's boys have come from two parent households of a certain era.
Most of the men I know raised in a one parent household of a particular age group are wonderfully in tune with women so to me it all depends on the individual and their circumstances.

It's not just Mumma's boys that are not reproducing it's Western culture as a whole who are having less children. I think that's due to a lot of reasons.

If anything I applaud men who have a good and healthy relationships with their mothers.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I think if a man was brought up with a helicopter mom and was too close to his mother, this could lead to a problem in his relationships.

I also think that if a man was brought up with a careless mom and he wasn't close to her at all, than it would also lead to problems in his relationships. They are either too independent because they are not used to female love/care and attention or too dependent for the same exact reasons.

It's quite obvious that some men are seeking for "mamas" when they are looking for mates, it's not a new observation by any means.

A man who had a strong, but healthy bond with his mother will not need a replacement or a substitute, but a partner in life who will give him something else.

Bottom line - I want to make sure that my son will have healthy attitude on relationships and I'm really trying to have a balanced relationship with him in hopes that he will not look for another "mom".
healthy relationships are not fostered in isolation. women get enormous support in their spouse relationships from other men and women, men should do the same.. helocopter moms are needed if a crime is gonin on.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:35 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Flaw? What flaw? Men don't gots no stinkin' flaws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships