Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:46 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

Most people are pretty bad at dating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 10:48 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
If I didn't want to answer i would have jokingly said something stupid like...

Before I entered the Govt Witness Program, I was ....

It would have been a good story and just left her wondering.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:50 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,183,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
If you are embarrased about what you do then that is not someone else's fault and if a woman (or a man) judge you negatively for it then you'll know right away without investing yourself in it because who wants to be with someone that judgemental in the first place.

I manage a men's shelter. Certainly nothing to be ashamed about. Not at all.

But that's not what this is about.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:53 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,183,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly57 View Post
I can understand inquiring about someone's job because that is where they spend the majority of their time. Also, is the person a workaholic, will work be their #1 priority, etc. If a man was evasive with me or I perceived him to be...I'd be suspicious that he may be hiding something. But, I'd also want to know alittle bit about the whole person, their job is just a part of that person. If the woman kept harping on it then if I were Ron I'd probably be put off about it also. I guess we really can't judge either Ron or his date....just offer our opinions, experiences & insights.
there are 172 hours in a week. Do you spend the majority of that time at work? I hope not.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:54 AM

245 posts, read 956,152 times
Dating is really hard to be honest. Especially when you had been with someone for 23 years and started over! But, yes it's awkward & most people aren't good at it. It may take a 2nd or 3rd date with a particular person to start feeling more comfortable. If Ron really liked this woman during his phone calls & emails then maybe he oughta give her "another chance". That first in-person meeting is difficult. My husband and I met via the internet but we clicked on the phone right away & one hour into the first in-person date it was really comfortable for both of us, yeah we were nervous but obviously it worked, we got married 2 years later!

Old 12-20-2009, 10:55 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I manage a men's shelter. Certainly nothing to be ashamed about. Not at all.

But that's not what this is about.
That's pretty darn cool just the same. And I think in your case, given the gravity of such a job, it would be more telling about your worldview compared to many.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,169,841 times
Quote:
there are 172 hours in a week. Do you spend the majority of that time at work? I hope not.
thats the way i feel about it too. i dont mind talking about my job a little bit since it is a big part of ones life, but i dont like to make it a big part of the night. i already spend 40-50 hours a week at work, so id rather talk about more fun things when im not there.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:59 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
thats the way i feel about it too. i dont mind talking about my job a little bit since it is a big part of ones life, but i dont like to make it a big part of the night. i already spend 40-50 hours a week at work, so id rather talk about more fun things when im not there.
Exactly!

Old 12-20-2009, 11:00 AM

245 posts, read 956,152 times
Quote:
LOL no def not, I never did! I meant that we often spend more time with our "work families" than with our actual "home families". A good portion of a full time job consumes our time. Unfortunate but true. My husband works 50-70 hours a week! Not his choice but it pays the bills. But, I also stated in an earlier post to this thread that I'd want to know about the "whole" person, not just his job. I'd be suspicious if he seemed evasive about what he did for a living....the world is a scary place & it's made a lot of us paranoid about people we just meet. But, also looking at Ron's side I'd be suspicious if all she focused on was job related questions. So I can see both sides of the issue.

Last edited by butterfly57; 12-20-2009 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-20-2009, 11:02 AM

37,610 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
It's not about making the it topic of the evening. At least certainly not for me. I have no desire to spend an evening talking about my job! But it is an important cross-section of who you are. I want some insight into the kind of person you are before I'm going to consider going out with you. I think that's pretty normal. Now if you are 18 and just starting out...then it doesn't really matter so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships