Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 11:13 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,523,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrans View Post
No, sorry. She can still be a loving and supportive wife whilst working - just like I can be a loving and supportive husband whilst working. Whilst money itself is not all that important, work ethics, goals and ambitions are hugely important to me. The only time I would accept my wife staying at home is when we have children.
I have to agree 100% with this statement. I wouldn't be able to stand the thought of a girlfriend or spouse staying at home all day long accomplishing absolutely nothing. Volunteer, work, rasie a family, but you gotta do something.

No sex and the city marathons, gym, then shopping. Do SOMETHING!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 11:14 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
No, sorry. She can still be a loving and supportive wife whilst working - just like I can be a loving and supportive husband whilst working. Whilst money itself is not all that important, work ethics, goals and ambitions are hugely important to me. The only time I would accept my wife staying at home is when we have children. [or if she is seriously ill, injured etc]
lol, trying not to get offended again

Why do you believe a woman who doesn't work for a paycheck lacks a work ethic, goals or ambitions??? Sorry, dude, that's just not true and is condescending to boot.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
I have to agree 100% with this statement. I wouldn't be able to stand the thought of a girlfriend or spouse staying at home all day long accomplishing absolutely nothing. Volunteer, work, rasie a family, but you gotta do something.

No sex and the city marathons, gym, then shopping. Do SOMETHING!!!
Jays, get with the program - the woman in this scenario WOULD be doing something - a lot of something! FULL TIME VOLUNTEERING IS VERY TIME CONSUMING and definitley qualifiies as working hard. No one is saying a woman should sit at home watching tv all day for pete's sake!

Old 12-21-2009, 11:17 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
What would you think of a woman in her late 20's/early 30's, no kids, whose husband made enough money that she didn't work, but did volunteer work instead?
I find this absolutely disgusting. Who does she think she is? Giving of her own free will and time to help others. Aiding the elderly, assisting at a food bank, or helping children learn to read. Has she no shame?!! And, my God, not bringing in a paycheck, especially when they don't need it. This is an absolute affront to materialism, especially during the Christmas season. She should be punching the clock at an emotionally grinding job and be miserable like the rest of us. A young woman with the sensitivity to devote herself to making life easier for others. What a blow to our masculinity.....just imagine if this type of aberrant behavior caught on.....yeah, just imagine for minute.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:18 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,028,639 times
Quote:
No, sorry. She can still be a loving and supportive wife whilst working - just like I can be a loving and supportive husband whilst working. Whilst money itself is not all that important, work ethics, goals and ambitions are hugely important to me. The only time I would accept my wife staying at home is when we have children.
Sorry to drag out this conversation, but when did a paycheck automatically equal work ethics, goals, and ambitions? If I was to go by this code of thinking, then that would mean women who started and built up charity organizations and foundations possessed zero work ethic or goals simply because they weren't reeling in a paycheck.

Perhaps it is just your choice of words, but I find the idea of any man kicking his wife out because she doesn't have a job (key point: if you make enough to provide your desired lifestyle) to be very harsh. If she is sitting on the couch or spending money all day, that is a different story, but it is not the one I am referring to.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:18 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,523,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Jays, get with the program - the woman in this scenario WOULD be doing something - a lot of something! FULL TIME VOLUNTEERING IS VERY TIME CONSUMING and definitley qualifiies as working hard. No one is saying a woman should sit at home watching tv all day for pete's sake!
That is what I was saying. Volunteer, work or raise a family.

But there is no "stay at home and do nothing" option. A marriage is a partnership.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:22 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:

But there is no "stay at home and do nothing" option. A marriage is a partnership.
Well, in these cases men are not asked generally to clean, cook, do laundry, take care of bills, etc. That happens to be work.

Quote:

But my point is, what you brought up is not even in this conversation - someone volunteering full time instead of working for a paycheck is what this conversation is about and your buddy Dorrans says his woman MUST bring home a paycheck.

1,549 posts, read 2,582,443 times
Quote:

I was going to go to bed, but here I am, lol. I agree with you. Marriage should be an equal partnership I just worried that people will think that I'm spoiled for not working or that I wasn't very intelligent and couldn't hold a job or was mooching off of my husband. I'm suprised most people are okay with it. My "real life" friends seem to feel very differently and think I should be climbing the corporate ladder and whatnot. Either way, I think LovesMountains is right, I shouldn't worry so much about what other people think of me.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:23 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,191,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
lol, trying not to get offended again

Why do you believe a woman who doesn't work for a paycheck lacks a work ethic, goals or ambitions??? Sorry, dude, that's just not true and is condescending to boot.
I didn't mean that people who do voluntary work don't have any of that. I just want a woman who have work ethics and ambitions in the working world. I done voluntary work whilst I was working. Both can actually be done at the same time.

I just wanna make it 100% clear that I truly admire people who do voluntary work. I get a bit of feeling that people think I think less of them. Not at all. I admire them. Just clarifying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships