Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:40 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,185,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
I think whoever has the most stable job with the highest income should work and, if the couple decides, have the other person stay home. It shouldn't be a gender issue at all.
I guess I have to find myself a woman who have a higher income than me I suppose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 02:42 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,574,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrans View Post
I guess I have to find myself a woman who have a higher income than me I suppose
Or I guess I should have said a stable job and an income you can live on.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:48 PM

440 posts, read 1,027,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I guess that I was fortunate because I never bought into the feminist manifesto. When I was a senior in 1973, someone asked me what I wanted to be when I finished my education and my answer was "a wife".

All of the joy in my life has been as a direct result of having a wonderful husband and taking care of him and hour home. All of the misery in my life has been as a direct result of the negative influences I have come into contact with elsewhere - including working outside of the home.

I applaud anyone who gets their "recognition" or gets a sense of "satisfaction and accomplishment" working, but I cannot help but think to myself how miserable their home life must be to fee this way. And how sad. There is no greater recognition or accomplishment than when my husband turns to me and says.... "That was a great meal, honey".

Looks like the feministas are starting to find out that compliments from strangers are worthless.

20yrsinBranson
I agree with you. I am 21 yrs old and I must say, I want to be a wife and mother. I do think that men and woman should be treated with respect and equally but when it comes down to it...I want my man to be the provider, I want him to be the strong manly man haha. I would enjoy more then anything to take care of my family and all the good stuff that comes along with it. Right now I am working hard to do things on my own, but when I'm ready to settle down I want to be that wife that has dinner waiting for my hubby when he gets home. I think a lot of times thats what really brings a family together.

I have the "leader" and "independent" personality, but it doesn't mean I dont want to take care of my family and make people feel special. I'm very mothering haha. The best compliment I have ever had was someone telling me they think I was born to be a mother. It meant a lot to me, one day when the time is right!

Anywoo...men are men and woman are woman, there will always be differences between us

(My internet wont allow my to open this right now, but I will read the article as soon as it works right).

Old 12-22-2009, 02:49 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,006,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
I think whoever has the most stable job with the highest income should work and, if the couple decides, have the other person stay home. It shouldn't be a gender issue at all.
I can make twice what my husband does, but if we can get by on his income alone, then I am more than satisfied to simply be a housewife. Money means nothing to me if I have to be away from home for 8+ hours every day. Unfortunately, the economy being what it is, I do have to work some, but as soon as we get to the place financially where i don't I'm outta there.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-22-2009, 02:55 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,574,646 times
Quote:
I can make twice what my husband does, but if we can get by on his income alone, then I am more than satisfied to simply be a housewife. Money means nothing to me if I have to be away from home for 8+ hours every day. Unfortunately, the economy being what it is, I do have to work some, but as soon as we get to the place financially where i don't I'm outta there.

20yrsinBranson
I corrected myself. I think that if a couple wants to have one parent stay home, as long as they can live on one of the incomes it doesn't matter which is higher. I also think it shouldn't matter which parent stays home. It's not a gender issue.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:55 PM

440 posts, read 1,027,106 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson

See, I wouldn't mind taking some of the work load by getting a job, I think I would need it just for some "me time" but most important to me would be taking care of my family at home. If I had the opportunity to stay home I would, but if I needed to work I'd be happy with that too. Its the whole having a family that I would be happy with.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:56 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,017,396 times
That woman sounded like she just did not like men at all before her epiphany, like she purposefully wanted to prove she was better than them. She took feminism and dragged it to the extreme where it was never intended to be.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:02 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,492,192 times
I'm 40 and I had my "awakening" about 4-5 years ago. I can relate to that end, but I was not that woman, couldn't be in my wildest dreams. And this is not what feminism was meant to accomplish.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:39 PM

35,932 posts, read 30,474,370 times
I only got thru about half of that crap.
As others said, that is not feminism. That woman sounds like she is just a horney biotch. Feminists are wives and mothers and homemakers as much as they are CEO's and attorneys, etc.

I am thankful for the feminist movement because it gave me freedom to choose which path I would take. My mother and grandmother in their day did not have equal job opportunities and equal pay that would allow them the choices I had. I have been a wife and a mother and when my dh died leaving little insurance I was able to continue my education, get a good job, buy a house and support my children instead of having to go on welfare or farm out my kids. In 20 yrs. I will have no regrets for the choices I made.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:11 PM

7,373 posts, read 15,940,537 times
Quote:
I don’t even remember his name, I only vaguely remember a wild night with the college hockey team at an off-campus party.
I bet you have to go to a paysite to read the rest of that story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships