Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 03:50 PM

195 posts, read 293,639 times

Advertisements

My wife's best friend is a man (is this odd?)

Well actually my wife's best friend is me, but her friend Larry is her best friend she is not married to.

They met at work and became close. They are always talking and emailing. They have incredible chemistry for conversation. I have never seen two people who have so much in common. Larry, her best friend is married also and tells me his wife has many close male friends also. Larry and his wife seem to have a great marriage.

My wife and I have gone out to dinner with Larry and his wife but there is just no chemistry between Larry his wife and I, the chemistry is between my wife and Larry.

Both insist there is no romantic attraction and I have nothing to worry about. I see the joy that hanging out with Larry brings out in my wife and I want her to have her own friends too. So I accept it.

My wife's relationship with Larry is exactly like many woman's close friendship with girl friends. The only difference is Larry- her best friend- is a man.

What do you think?

Would you be so accepting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 03:51 PM

353 posts, read 905,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post

No.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:55 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:

Well actually my wife's best friend is me, but her friend Larry is her best friend she is not married to.

They met at work and became close. They are always talking and emailing. They have incredible chemistry for conversation. I have never seen two people who have so much in common. Larry, her best friend is married also and tells me his wife has many close male friends also. Larry and his wife seem to have a great marriage.

My wife and I have gone out to dinner with Larry and his wife but there is just no chemistry between Larry his wife and I, the chemistry is between my wife and Larry.

Both insist there is no romantic attraction and I have nothing to worry about. I see the joy that hanging out with Larry brings out in my wife and I want her to have her own friends too. So I accept it.

My wife's relationship with Larry is exactly like many woman's close friendship with girl friends. The only difference is Larry her best friend is a man.

What do you think?

Okay, I think this is your 3rd, maybe 4th, thread about what is "normal" in a marriage. Seems to me you are really having some doubts about your own marriage. Have you and your wife considered a marriage counselor, just to clear the air and grow a little as a couple?

To answer your question...yes, it is possible for men and women to be friends, within certain boundries which show extreme respect for the marriages both friends are in.

This means your wife and her friend have to have a real committment to protecting their marriages and their spouses feelings by never saying things to each other that they wouldn't say to their spouses, or at least in front of them.

Once people cross over the boundries of what is okay, then they are on a slippery slope which can easily slide into a more intimate relationship - an affair.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:56 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,333 times
OMG! No disrespect intended but it is very ODD. Are you just going to wait until she cheats on you or are you going to stand up for yourself? I am afraid she may have already done things with Larry and she is just playing you for a fool, WAKE UP MY FRIEND!

Old 12-09-2009, 07:57 PM

195 posts, read 293,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
OMG! No disrespect intended but it is very ODD. Are you just going to wait until she cheats on you or are you going to stand up for yourself? I am afraid she may have already done things with Larry and she is just playing you for a fool, WAKE UP MY FRIEND!
So you are saying that if my wife and Larry hit it off conversationally they are heading for an affair?

Old 12-09-2009, 08:01 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,192,311 times
This is a recipe for disaster. I can guarantee you almost 100% that if the shoe was on the other foot then there'd be an uproar on her part.

She WILL cheat on you someday. Can't you see the signs already?

Old 12-09-2009, 08:01 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:

My wife's relationship with Larry is exactly like many woman's close friendship with girl friends. The only difference is Larry- her best friend- is a man.

What do you think?

Depends on when they are emailing and talking. I had male coworkers I talked to a lot, at work, and emailed a lot, at work. It didn't cross the line into home.

If you are willing to go out as couples, keep it that way. Otherwise, tell her to ditch her friend. It's only a matter of time before she needs a shoulder to cry on over something and the way women are wired this could spell trouble.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:04 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
I had a male best friend for ages we'd even go out places and one of us would undoubtly be getting a ride home from someone else. Or if I saw him out and I got a little loaded I'd toss him my car keys. We saw each other through a lot - family deaths, weddings of our other friends, broken relationships. Kissed him once - and it felt like I was kissing my brother so that was the end of that avenue. But still friends.

Now, I know a girl who's best friend is a man, a gay man, and he was her maid of honor at her wedding and they work together.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:11 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I had a male best friend for ages we'd even go out places and one of us would undoubtly be getting a ride home from someone else. Or if I saw him out and I got a little loaded I'd toss him my car keys. We saw each other through a lot - family deaths, weddings of our other friends, broken relationships. Kissed him once - and it felt like I was kissing my brother so that was the end of that avenue. But still friends.

Now, I know a girl who's best friend is a man, a gay man, and he was her maid of honor at her wedding and they work together.
I think a situation where he's been a friend for years, dating back before the marriage is different. If you have a history of being just friends...if you had the chance to be romantically involved before and chose not to...then I think you're probably safe. A new best friend who is male is cause for alarm though. Especially if it bothers her husband. Her marriage should come first even if it is really just friends,

Old 12-09-2009, 08:12 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,120 times
Quote:
So you are saying that if my wife and Larry hit it off conversationally they are heading for an affair?
I would not necessarily agree w/that point of view although I am sure that Larry is interested in sex with your wife but would never confess that to your wife until he has his big opportunity and makes his move. Your wife is probably very naive about men's motives... all men want to have sex with a women they are friendly with but not all women want to have sex w/a male friend. I have had lots of male friends that I enjoy as friends only and would never consider or want to have sex with them. Women are different animals than men. I would not trust Larry though... he will make a move sooner or later. Your wife is naive to believe that Larry just wants friendship but that doesn't mean that Larry has a chance in hell of ever having his way with her. It is probably innocent on her part and she will be disappointed when she finds out that Larry is a wolf in sheeps clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships