Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 01:32 PM

732 posts, read 1,045,123 times

Advertisements

We guys have had to endure endless baldy jokes and comments for centuries now. Often dished out by the fair sex. It looks like payback is coming though.

Has anyone noticed how many women are starting to lose their hair? It seems like everywhere I go now. I see women with very thin hair, receding hairlines and noticeable scalps. They even do a version of the dreaded "comb-over". I call it the "poof-over", whereby they fluff up the hair over the bare spot.

The last 2 women I've been involved with also had this problem. Has anyone else noticed this as well? Will this trend signify the end of baldy jokes as it will no longer be PC to kid about bald heads if women go bald too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 01:38 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,174,569 times
I wouldn't know, my hair is so thick I can hardly get a brush through it.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:46 PM

303 posts, read 563,323 times
Women's hair thins when they hit menopause or thereabouts. I don't think this is anything new. How old are these women you've been involved with?

Old 12-23-2009, 01:48 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,346,662 times
On average yes. As women take on bread winner and stressful roles in life, they go into androgen producing stress mode. Their waistlines fatten, they lose their hair etc. A career women under stress on average is going to be less attractive because she enters a survivalist androgynous hormone state. Andogens are linked with hair loss.

Waist-to-Hip Ratio Is Positively Associated With Bioavailable Testosterone but Negatively Associated With Sexual Desire in Healthy Premenopausal Women -- van Anders and Hampson 67 (2): 246 -- Psychosomatic Medicine

Research concerning WHR (the ratio of waist to hip circumference) in women has focused largely on its value as a biomarker for health and attractiveness. Men and women in various Western cultures rate low WHR ratios as more sexually attractive in women (1–3). This preference has ecologic validity because higher ratios (eg, >0.80) are associated with various adverse factors. For example, women with high WHR exhibit decreased fertility (4,5), more menstrual irregularities (6) and cardiovascular disease risk factors (6–8), less physical activity (9), higher levels of anger, anxiety, depression, lower levels of social support (7) and education (9), more stress, a greater stress reactivity (10), and more unemployment problems (9). Some researchers have speculated that hypothalamic–pituitary–adrenal (HPA) hyperactivity may be present in some high WHR women (10), although androgens have been most consistently implicated in high WHR values.

EDIT: A tad more on this
http://www.groundreport.com/Business...stress/2908894

Last edited by gwynedd1; 12-23-2009 at 01:56 PM..

Old 12-23-2009, 01:50 PM

218 posts, read 798,914 times
I don't think there's anything different, just women have been more likely to use alternatives and frankly, have much better options. Women can mask their thinning hair with styling but also aren't limited to hats for covering up balding areas. There are also some fabulous wigs out there while a man finding a fabulous rug is much more difficult.

Besides all that, I think bald is more likely to be considered sexy these days. Everyone is still going to laugh at the horrible comb-over or bad rug but guys who embrace the look and shave it all off seem to have a different experience.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:51 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,546,270 times
Idk why, but the title of this thread really made me LOL irl. Watch my hair start falling out now.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:55 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,543,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
We guys have had to endure endless baldy jokes and comments for centuries now. Often dished out by the fair sex. It looks like payback is coming though.

Has anyone noticed how many women are starting to lose their hair? It seems like everywhere I go now. I see women with very thin hair, receding hairlines and noticeable scalps. They even do a version of the dreaded "comb-over". I call it the "poof-over", whereby they fluff up the hair over the bare spot.

The last 2 women I've been involved with also had this problem. Has anyone else noticed this as well? Will this trend signify the end of baldy jokes as it will no longer be PC to kid about bald heads if women go bald too?
With women, it isn't from male pattern baldness, there's something wrong, hormonally, nutritionally, aging.
Thyroid problems in woman have gotten epidemic, hair loss is common.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:56 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,174,569 times
I think men are more self conscience about losing their hair than women are about a man losing his hair. In fact, in my circle of friends I cannot ever recall a single time it was ever discussed or an issue.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
On average yes. As women take on bread winner and stressful roles in life, they go into androgen producing stress mode. Their waistlines fatten, they lose their hair etc. A career women under stress on average is going to be less attractive because she enters a survivalist androgynous hormone state. Andogens are linked with hair loss.

Waist-to-Hip Ratio Is Positively Associated With Bioavailable Testosterone but Negatively Associated With Sexual Desire in Healthy Premenopausal Women -- van Anders and Hampson 67 (2): 246 -- Psychosomatic Medicine

Research concerning WHR (the ratio of waist to hip circumference) in women has focused largely on its value as a biomarker for health and attractiveness. Men and women in various Western cultures rate low WHR ratios as more sexually attractive in women (1–3). This preference has ecologic validity because higher ratios (eg, >0.80) are associated with various adverse factors. For example, women with high WHR exhibit decreased fertility (4,5), more menstrual irregularities (6) and cardiovascular disease risk factors (6–8), less physical activity (9), higher levels of anger, anxiety, depression, lower levels of social support (7) and education (9), more stress, a greater stress reactivity (10), and more unemployment problems (9). Some researchers have speculated that hypothalamic–pituitary–adrenal (HPA) hyperactivity may be present in some high WHR women (10), although androgens have been most consistently implicated in high WHR values.

EDIT: A tad more on this
How your body shape determines your chronic stress reactions | GroundReport

this was a very interesting post.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
yes heart attacks, baldness, weight gain, all elements of the career ladder. trouble with saber tooth tiger hunting in the career world, is that they dont stop to ask if you are male or female b4 they eat you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships