Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 11:14 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,192,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Your emphasis on wealth sure sounds American to me. And isn't that why people come here from poor countries? Money, success...

We could all live in our parents basements and have lots of money. How mature. It is possible to make it on your own, independently, people do it every day. The thing I respect the most about people is when they are self-made, when they had to struggle a bit and they appreciate what they have been through to get where they are.
Yes, that's all well and good. But why disrespect [not you personally] people who make that decision and are used to living that sort of life since it's in their culture. If people don't wanna date such people, fine no problems, but the ignorance spouted in this thread is unbelievable.

And they don't just "live in their parents basement". They contribute massively the household. They are injecting money and wealth into the family. They are taking care of their elderly folks. They are doing much more than "living in their parents basement". And at the end of the day, they'll probably marry someone who shares the same belief as them. That's their way of life. "The American way" is not the only correct way, believe it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 11:16 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,700,922 times
This whole thread could be summarized in four words.

To each his own.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertysFate View Post
One of my Scottish friends has his own place but ever since his dad passed away he's been looking after his mom and staying with her. I don't see that as a bad thing. It's what any loving son/daughter would do for their parents. If you don't think that giving you life and raising you is a good enough reason to look after your parents when they're alone then that's your business. I for one would never abandon my parents.
Couldn't have said it better.

I'm English, and that's what I would do as well. If my mum was widowed I'd do the best to take care of her. My parents didn't raise me for 21 years only for me to turn their back on them and dump them some place and never visit them again. I, like you, would never abandon my parents.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
This whole thread could be summarized in four words.

To each his own.
Pretty much. Which is what I said on page one. But the ignorance of some people just infuriates me. Bah....such is life.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:24 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Does everyone in the household work outside of the home?

Maybe the sons are taking care of their mother, additionally, it makes for more discretionary income--money to just blow on whatever they desire. Nice clothes, restaurant dining, fancy cars--whatever floats their fleet. Maybe he's an art buff, or likes high-end electronics.

Think about it.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:26 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrans View Post
Yes, that's all well and good. But why disrespect [not you personally] people who make that decision and are used to living that sort of life since it's in their culture. If people don't wanna date such people, fine no problems, but the ignorance spouted in this thread is unbelievable.

And they don't just "live in their parents basement". They contribute massively the household. They are injecting money and wealth into the family. They are taking care of their elderly folks. They are doing much more than "living in their parents basement". And at the end of the day, they'll probably marry someone who shares the same belief as them. That's their way of life. "The American way" is not the only correct way, believe it or not.
I agree. A lot of people are stuck on their own views of how things "should be". When they dismiss a person's culture altogether and take the "It's wrong no matter what." approach, it speaks volumes.

This is not a man who has no money, has no ambition or is doing it to save money in the manner that has been described here. He runs a few businesses and is working on partnering in more. People who have money have tons of opportunities and can pretty much have and do a lot that others can't. Apparently, staying home with family shouldn't be one of them. All the while it is their wealth that allows them to provide for their loved ones in the manner they choose.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:47 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertysFate View Post
You took one sentence out of everything I wrote and completely miss the point. I didn't say living at home means he respects and honors his parents more. I didn't say everyone, generation after generation should live under one roof. I said choosing to live at home to take care of his mother (if she's alone) he's being a good son. Big difference. Next time you might want to actually read the entire post. Just in case, I made it bright and bold for you.

I think it's just an American thing, because I have friends in Ireland and Scotland who live at home and they're in their early 30s. They have every means to make it on their own if they wanted to. They move out when they get married to start their own family, that's how many families are around the world.
One of my Scottish friends has his own place but ever since his dad passed away he's been looking after his mom and staying with her. I don't see that as a bad thing. It's what any loving son/daughter would do for their parents. If you don't think that giving you life and raising you is a good enough reason to look after your parents when they're alone then that's your business. I for one would never abandon my parents.
Who's talking about abandoning anyone? You can look out for a relative without living under the same roof forever. Are all these family members sick, elderly and helpless? Do they have friends, jobs, abilities, a life outside of their family? If not, it sounds like the family support was isolating them from the outside world. Suppose a 60 something year old mother is widowed - is her 30 year old son supposed to live with her for 20 or 30 years if she lives a good long life? Hope he likes being single forever. I've seen this first hand. Mother is "retired" and healthy but doesn't want to live alone, takes son's life with her. Son martyrs himself, whatever.

I think a man or woman who chooses to stay in the family home in their 30s and until they get married, totally avoiding the adult independent stage of life, is a baby. Even if they are helping others in that family.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:15 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
Who's talking about abandoning anyone? You can look out for a relative without living under the same roof forever. Are all these family members sick, elderly and helpless? Do they have friends, jobs, abilities, a life outside of their family? If not, it sounds like the family support was isolating them from the outside world. Suppose a 60 something year old mother is widowed - is her 30 year old son supposed to live with her for 20 or 30 years if she lives a good long life? Hope he likes being single forever. I've seen this first hand. Mother is "retired" and healthy but doesn't want to live alone, takes son's life with her. Son martyrs himself, whatever.

I think a man or woman who chooses to stay in the family home in their 30s and until they get married, totally avoiding the adult independent stage of life, is a baby. Even if they are helping others in that family.
Case and point. *shrug*

Old 12-24-2009, 03:17 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
Quote:

I'm familiar with these types of situations-- some male, some female...
sometimes it's not a matter of "choice" as much as a self-centered, selfish parent doing the guilt-trip routine

Old 12-24-2009, 03:21 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Sometimes there is no "mother" so they can't be "mama's boys" or girls. But people still live with family. I think some people need to get out of their little mindset and accept that they don't know all that much about humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships