Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 08:11 PM

146 posts, read 462,220 times

Advertisements

A lot of people move because there is a lack of good job or education opportunities in their area. Is it really so far fetched for some people to consider moving because there is a lack of dating opportunities or potential partners in an area as well?

It's just that for curiosity sake, I looked up demographic statistics of my hometown and county, and I learned that in my area, only about 5% of the population are girls ages 18-24 (my age range). When you whittle it down to available, attractive girls ages 18-24, it's definitely gonna be a lot smaller.

I've had absolutely no luck dating after coming back home from college. The small population around here and living in the suburbs doesn't help my chances of meeting a girl either. It's really forcing me to consider how much longer I want to stay around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 08:19 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,038,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Leather Jacket View Post
A lot of people move because there is a lack of good job or education opportunities in their area. Is it really so far fetched for some people to consider moving because there is a lack of dating opportunities or potential partners in an area as well?

It's just that for curiosity sake, I looked up demographic statistics of my hometown and county, and I learned that in my area, only about 5% of the population are girls ages 18-24 (my age range). When you whittle it down to available, attractive girls ages 18-24, it's definitely gonna be a lot smaller.

I've had absolutely no luck dating after coming back home from college. The small population around here and living in the suburbs doesn't help my chances of meeting a girl either. It's really forcing me to consider how much longer I want to stay around here.

I would not move anywhere for just ONE reason now that I'm older because lets say you move to a better place to find more opportunity to meet women the catch might be that you have poor job opportunity's. Girlfriend+no money= your screwed.

If anything, find a place that you like and have good job opportunity's then find a girl in your area or simply import her.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:26 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,670,441 times
One of my colleagues did this and it worked out great for her. She lived here and had no luck meeting nice guys. She did the research and found that Colorado had a much better ratio of men to women in her age range, so she got a job there, and moved. Within one year she met her husband to be. She's now happily married with a couple of kids - just what she always wanted. If you're going to do it, do your research, and get a job before moving. Best wishes.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:28 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,038,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
She did the research and found that Colorado had a much better ratio of men to women in her age range, so she got a job there, and moved.

yea it does..

Old 12-24-2009, 08:31 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,324,722 times
"Location, location, location" Yeah, if I were totally content with my dating status I would move in a heartbeat for better opportunities. It's a darn good thing I am content cause I live in a dry place, but content doesn't mean I wouldn't move with the proper motivation.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:34 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
yea it does..
haha It's funny that you mentioned this because a friend of mine is moving to Denver next week with a friend of hers and she calls it Manville because the ratio of men to women is 7:1 (I didn't check that but she said she did). She's going to have fun hunting.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:37 PM

720 posts, read 1,407,913 times
I wouldn't move for this reason, but I am cynical and don't date. I hear Alaska has a lot of men...burly ones at that....

Old 12-24-2009, 08:42 PM

146 posts, read 462,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertysFate View Post
haha It's funny that you mentioned this because a friend of mine is moving to Denver next week with a friend of hers and she calls it Manville because the ratio of men to women is 7:1 (I didn't check that but she said she did). She's going to have fun hunting.
For her, but being a dude must suck there.

Anyway, I live in New York state. Anyone know any cities or towns in NY (except for NYC) or atleast the tristate area that has a good proportion of 18-24 year old girls?

Old 12-24-2009, 08:47 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,524,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Leather Jacket View Post
For her, but being a dude must suck there.

Anyway, I live in New York state. Anyone know any cities or towns in NY (except for NYC) or atleast the tristate area that has a good proportion of 18-24 year old girls?
Yeah, Syracuse and Utica

Old 12-24-2009, 09:43 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,414,647 times
Yes, I understand where you're coming from entirely. I'm moving for a whole host of reasons and while I'd never move just for that, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a consideration. My old college roommate told me that was one of the reasons that she was moving out of state. She had come down here for school and found the dating scene dismal. She just felt like she would never meet anyone decent down here. She moved, got a good job, then met a guy and now she's married with kids, so it worked for her. Ppl in my area love to party, drugs and alcohol are a serious problem. Ppl also tend to be very plastic, materialistic, and superficial. I actually talked to a guy today who mentioned this so it's not just women having a hard time. Of course I'm not saying this applies to everyone as no area is 100% bad or good. This is only my and some of my friend's experiences. I know I am looking forward to dating in my new state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships