Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 09:10 AM

966 posts, read 2,444,947 times

Advertisements

This is a long post from my blog, folks, but I think there are a lot of helpful ideas here. I usually spend my holidays on my own, for a variety of reasons. So, I have created a list of things to do when the blues come my way or when I am starting to sink into depression.

Many of these tips or suggestions are deeply spiritual. I'm not into organized religion, so I can understand that I lot of readers here will probably bypass or ridicule the spiritual tips. I hope not, but, trust me, I understand. I just refuse to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Take what you can use, as they say; and please add more. I thought that this part of my life was going to be different, now that I have moved to a more community-oriented place. Not so, at least not yet. A new friend bailed on me, for reasons that I understand: Holiday depression strikes again. All the more reason to reinforce in myself ways to keep our heads above water. Spending Christmas alone does not mean we have to sink into debilitating depression.

Anyway, yadda yadda...

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and all that good stuff, everyone--in peace.

Please add some more ideas to this list. I could use a good laugh right now. I am sure I am not the only one. Youtube, anyone?

Thank you.

1. Remember the reason for the season, the true spirit of Christmas and the New Year.
2. Do your part to spread love, joy, peace, and goodwill in the world.
3. Share your true feelings, hopes, desires, and dreams with close friends.
4. Let go of false ideals re the perfect family Christmas. It does not exist.
5. Spend time with friends and loved ones--on the telephone, online, and in real time.
6. Keep a journal of thoughts, feelings, prayers, etc.
7. Write, sing, play an instrument, etc. Get into the creative flow, and be grateful for the time to do so.
8. Eat well.
9. Sleep well.
10. Walk. Dance. Take care of this wonderful instrument called your body.
11. Be realistic yet optimistic. This, too, shall pass--in time.
12. Meditate, pray, read sacred texts or scripture, and deepen your spiritual practices. Feed your soul.
13. Laugh, play, get silly, and remember that joy and pleasure are yours--a gift to us all from the Most High.
14. Read a good book. Lose yourself in it, or let it help you reflect on your own life.
15. Watch your favorite movies. Laugh, cry, cuddle up, etc.
16. Listen to your favorite Christmas songs as well any other songs that lift your spirits--the silly, the spiritual, and the sublime. You might be surprised that even the blues can be uplifting. Many blues singers inject great humor and insight into their tunes. (Lately, I've been diggin' Keb' Mo.)
17. Even if you don't have a lot of money during these "interesting times," do something good for someone else. It really is the thought that counts. Practice random acts of kindness.
18. If you have to work, do your work mindfully, joyfully, and in gratitude. "Work is love made visible" (Kahlil Gibran).
19. Smile at friends and strangers. Remember that "a stranger is a friend you just haven't met yet."
20. Remember that you are not alone and that solitude is good for the soul. Enjoy the peace and quiet. Go into the deep. God is there. Your true spirit is there.
21. Forgive. Let go of feelings of hurt, anger, or resentment. Let go of the false expectations that lead to hurt, anger, and resentment. Forgiveness frees your mind, heals your soul, and allows you the grace to move, grow, and enjoy your own life.
22. Limit or avoid alcohol, which is a depressant. Depending on your constitution, you might want to try safe supplements, herbs, or essential oils--e.g. SamE, rhodiola, St. John's Wort, chamomile tea, mint
tea, lavender, etc. Google it, or consult with a wholistic or naturopathic physician or healer.
23. Live love, be love, love, and be loved. Love really is the answer. Love heals.
24. Remember, finally, that there is nothing wrong with you. You are entitled to your feelings. Life is full of ups and downs. Accept and embrace it all. Be glad that you are a feeling person. One of the greatest paradoxes of life is that the path of joy also involves traveling though times of sadness and loss. Very often, we cannot even feel our own joy or know our own dreams and desires until we have felt and released our sadness and our disappointment.

Sources: internet research, Christiane Northrup's The Power of Joy, life experience, my own journeys through the holiday blues

Last edited by Nala8; 12-25-2009 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 10:16 AM

138 posts, read 285,293 times
I just use Hydrocodone!!

Old 12-25-2009, 10:25 AM

5,879 posts, read 9,247,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
This is a long post from my blog, folks, but I think there are a lot of helpful ideas here. I usually spend my holidays on my own, for a variety of reasons. So, I have created a list of things to do when the blues come my way or when I am starting to sink into depression.

Many of these tips or suggestions are deeply spiritual. I'm not into organized religion, so I can understand that I lot of readers here will probably bypass or ridicule the spiritual tips. I hope not, but, trust me, I understand. I just refuse to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Take what you can use, as they say; and please add more. I thought that this part of my life was going to be different, now that I have moved to a more community-oriented place. Not so, at least not yet. A new friend bailed on me, for reasons that I understand: Holiday depression strikes again. All the more reason to reinforce in myself ways to keep our heads above water. Spending Christmas alone does not mean we have to sink into debilitating depression.

Anyway, yadda yadda...

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and all that good stuff, everyone--in peace.

Please add some more ideas to this list. I could use a good laugh right now. I am sure I am not the only one. Youtube, anyone?

Thank you.

1. Remember the reason for the season, the true spirit of Christmas and the New Year.
2. Do your part to spread love, joy, peace, and goodwill in the world.
3. Share your true feelings, hopes, desires, and dreams with close friends.
4. Let go of false ideals re the perfect family Christmas. It does not exist.
5. Spend time with friends and loved ones--on the telephone, online, and in real time.
6. Keep a journal of thoughts, feelings, prayers, etc.
7. Write, sing, play an instrument, etc. Get into the creative flow, and be grateful for the time to do so.
8. Eat well.
9. Sleep well.
10. Walk. Dance. Take care of this wonderful instrument called your body.
11. Be realistic yet optimistic. This, too, shall pass--in time.
12. Meditate, pray, read sacred texts or scripture, and deepen your spiritual practices. Feed your soul.
13. Laugh, play, get silly, and remember that joy and pleasure are yours--a gift to us all from the Most High.
14. Read a good book. Lose yourself in it, or let it help you reflect on your own life.
15. Watch your favorite movies. Laugh, cry, cuddle up, etc.
16. Listen to your favorite Christmas songs as well any other songs that lift your spirits--the silly, the spiritual, and the sublime. You might be surprised that even the blues can be uplifting. Many blues singers inject great humor and insight into their tunes. (Lately, I've been diggin' Keb' Mo.)
17. Even if you don't have a lot of money during these "interesting times," do something good for someone else. It really is the thought that counts. Practice random acts of kindness.
18. If you have to work, do your work mindfully, joyfully, and in gratitude. "Work is love made visible" (Kahlil Gibran).
19. Smile at friends and strangers. Remember that "a stranger is a friend you just haven't met yet."
20. Remember that you are not alone and that solitude is good for the soul. Enjoy the peace and quiet. Go into the deep. God is there. Your true spirit is there.
21. Forgive. Let go of feelings of hurt, anger, or resentment. Let go of the false expectations that lead to hurt, anger, and resentment. Forgiveness frees your mind, heals your soul, and allows you the grace to move, grow, and enjoy your own life.
22. Limit or avoid alcohol, which is a depressant. Depending on your constitution, you might want to try safe supplements, herbs, or essential oils--e.g. SamE, rhodiola, St. John's Wort, chamomile tea, mint
tea, lavender, etc. Google it, or consult with a wholistic or naturopathic physician or healer.
23. Live love, be love, love, and be loved. Love really is the answer. Love heals.
24. Remember, finally, that there is nothing wrong with you. You are entitled to your feelings. Life is full of ups and downs. Accept and embrace it all. Be glad that you are a feeling person. One of the greatest
paradoxes of life is that the path of joy also involves traveling though times of sadness and loss. Very often, we cannot even feel our own joy or know our own dreams and desires until we have felt and
released our sadness and our disappointment.

Sources: internet research, Christiane Northrup's The Power of Joy, life experience, my own journeys through the holiday blues
Sounds like you need a good song to answer some of these questions? Rugged knows tunes and guitars!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMxHBcqAFro

Old 12-25-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
Sounds like you need a good song to answer some of these questions? Rugged knows tunes and guitars!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMxHBcqAFro
Thank you, Rugged, you sweet thing you. Who knew? But now, see, you've gone and made me cry. Love The Allman Brothers. Just posted it on myspace, for my poet and musician friends who are also solo today.

Merry Christmas

Old 12-25-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowfish View Post
I just use Hydrocodone!!
Huh?

Old 12-25-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Thank you, Rugged, you sweet thing you. Who knew? But now, see, you've gone and made me cry. Love The Allman Brothers. Just posted it on myspace, for my poet and musician friends who are also solo today.

Merry Christmas
I hope I'm not the only one who felt that song, just because I'm a guitar player? It is the guitars, right? A great guitar player can convay his feelings through his guitar without saying a word. Don't worry because things should get better for you. You are very welcome. Happy holidays! Rugged

Old 12-25-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
I hope I'm not the only one who felt that song, just because I'm a guitar player? It is the guitars, right? A great guitar player can convay his feelings through his guitar without saying a word. Don't worry because things should get better for you. You are very welcome. Happy holidays! Rugged
You can't be the only one. Lots of music lovers out there. I play the guitar a bit, so I have a lot of respect for guitar players--Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Keb' Mo, the Eagles, you name it. I feel those chords and long for the day I can do justice to the greats. For now, I just soothe my own soul and the souls of my students an friends from time to time, with my own tunes, lyrics, and poetry on my soft acoustic guitar.

Yes, things will get better. I can feel it in my bones.

Thanks, again, Rugged. You rock. lol

Old 12-25-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
You can't be the only one. Lots of music lovers out there. I play the guitar a bit, so I have a lot of respect for guitar players--Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Keb' Mo, the Eagles, you name it. I feel those chords and long for the day I can do justice to the greats. For now, I just soothe my own soul and the souls of my students an friends from time to time, with my own tunes, lyrics, and poetry on my soft acoustic guitar.

Yes, things will get better. I can feel it in my bones.

Thanks, again, Rugged. You rock. lol
That's the best thing I've heard today!LOL.....

Old 12-26-2009, 10:42 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Most everyone takes the easy way out. EG: Half a glass of vodka mixed with a half a cup of egg-nog. And chocolate cake for a bonus.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Most everyone takes the easy way out. EG: Half a glass of vodka mixed with a half a cup of egg-nog. And chocolate cake for a bonus.
Yeah, I'm sure they do. Could just be a Scorpio thing, but I dive into the deep, into the mud even, of all my dark Christmas sucks emotions. Then I come out enlightened, laughing, and thanking the Most High for my freedom. Jeez... Some of the sad stories I've heard or read lately, about how people really spend and feel about Christmas with their families. Crazy world. Dang. Joy to the world, for real. And peace on Earth. (I can dream.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships