Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 09:41 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times

Advertisements

Long story short, after a lifetime of self sacrifice, I finally "found myself" a few years ago and have never been happier. I spent (and wasted) a lot of time proving myself to be worthy, letting others decide what I was entitled to and what I deserved. I have realized that I could actually lay out what I want and have it, even if others don't approve. And I embrace the axiom that there is always someone else out there willing to do what another won't.

However, living life on my terms has been a challenge to some men. I do have to take into consideration that old habits are hard to break. I have to step back from time to time and decipher whether or not it is justified apprehension or over the top insecurity. I have learned the difference and I have learned that I have to accept that their perception is their reality and let them go.

To be clear, I don't mean "me, me, me" when it comes to living life on my terms. I mean enforcing my boundaries and securing my happiness first. What many people don't realize is that this does include making concessions and sacrifices for someone else, just not at my own personal expense or to my detriment.

Thankfully, the man I am with, even with our last little bump, loves this about me. He doesn't know this and, again, old habits die hard - I find myself wanting to make adjustments without any cause just to secure things. But he really respects this about me and I don't have to change a thing. It took me 4-5 years since my "epiphany" to find this. And it sounds like a long time, but it has flown by because I was in no hurry, nor did I feel lonely in the process.

This is mostly a share (cuz it's Christmas and I'm so happy!), but, have any of you felt challenged by this type of thing or have you been turned away because of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 09:42 AM

930 posts, read 2,423,511 times
Man, I hope you are hot.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:45 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,030,292 times
Congratulations on your epiphany. Those are always treasured moments of life. Nothing really beats that feeling when you know that not only are you changing/have you changed, but it is for the better. It's as if you're finally waking up from a deep sleep and all around in this world in a new light and all you want to do is explore.

I agree with you as well. The way I see it, if I'm not personally happy, then how the hell am I supposed to make other people happy? That would like the blind leading the blind.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:53 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Merry Christmas and Congradulations!

Old 12-25-2009, 10:11 AM

966 posts, read 2,445,960 times
Sure, I am a free spirit myself, but I am also very caring. Except for the holidays, I do fine either solo or with others in private or community. I am definitely not a "me me me mine" person. The trouble for me comes when people expect to be able to mold me or tell me what to do, when they cross that certain line from friendship to romance/relationship. I won't go for it. Like you, OP, I have worked too hard to liberate myself from that kind of bondage. I am attractive, so I have no trouble dating. It's the closer, more intimate or lasting relationships, that seem to elude me these days.

Merry Christmas and congratulations on your epiphany.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:16 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
We must have different ideas of what a "free spirit" is. The way describe yourself sounds just like normal healthy behavior.

To me the words "free spirit" kind of induce the idea of someone being kind of flaky, at least every time I've heard someone described as a free spirt, they were usually somewhat nutty.

Anyways, don't want to get hung up on terms.

I'm glad you're happy.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:19 AM

138 posts, read 285,432 times
Loves anything FREE !!!!

Old 12-25-2009, 10:22 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
I am very happy for you. Congratulations on finding yourself and being comfortable in your own skin.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a free spirit but I am one who doesn't usually follow other people's rules. I am also very lucky as my hubby loves me the way I am.

My hubby was just joking with me because I just took the dog for a walk in my sweats and I never do that. I told him "that's my Christmas present to myself." I can do anything I want today and if the neighbors don't like it then don't look, lol.

Merry Christmas.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:37 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Thanks kids.

Chow, I define a free spirit as being a non-conformist. Of course, it could be also be seen as reckless and irresponsible by some, but it's all relative, right? To some, not having the A, B, C order of life is reckless and irresponsible. Not going to college, getting married, having the house with picket fence and 2.3 kids, is inconceivable.

The words "supposed to" and "have to" are now like nails on a chalkboard. I really can do whatever I want, within the law and considering the rights of others, but as it applies to how I live my life and what I want for myself, the sky is the limit.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:44 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Thanks kids.

Chow, I define a free spirit as being a non-conformist. Of course, it could be also be seen as reckless and irresponsible by some, but it's all relative, right? To some, not having the A, B, C order of life is reckless and irresponsible. Not going to college, getting married, having the house with picket fence and 2.3 kids, is inconceivable.

The words "supposed to" and "have to" are now like nails on a chalkboard. I really can do whatever I want, within the law and considering the rights of others, but as it applies to how I live my life and what I want for myself, the sky is the limit.
Cool, I get ya.

I'm starting to feel that way too. I wish I could just ****can all of it and just do my own thing.

I pretty much did all of the things that your supposed to do:

Went to college
Got the "good" job in stable industry
Bought the home
Try to say and do the right things.

Blah blah blah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships