Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 08:44 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times

Advertisements

You were wrong. Text him and apologize for playing games and sending mixed signals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 09:45 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
I don't think either of you were wrong, I think it was just miscommunication. Your boyfriend didn't know Christmas was important, becuase you didn't tell him. Your boyfriend didn't know you needed attention when his friend got there, because you didn't tell him.

OTOH you didn't know he was hanging with his friend and thinking he was giving you space because he didn't tell you. He obviously thought that is what you wanted.

Simply tell him that you were a bit upset and next time you both need to communicate better.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:36 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,394 times
IDK- if you removed yourself from their company, I think you were sending the message that you didn't want to be with them and/or preferred to be alone (which is quite rude in it's own right...you could have easily gone home, once you realized that it was not going to be the intimate evening you thought was going to occur.) Why would it be his job to come and coax you out of your alone time? And as far as "checking on you"... unless you have some physical disorder that makes you prone to seizures or some other malady that requires him to check on you to make sure you are still alive, why would he need to "check on you"?

Sounds like you wanted to slink off and pout in order to make him feel guilty and come baby you into being social against your wishes, and got pissed when he didn't notice/care that you were pouting. Sounds quite immature and self-pitying (on your part) to me. What did he do, exactly, that was out of line? Not play the game?

Old 12-26-2009, 10:05 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,025,445 times
Honey, that's not something to be mad about. His friend came in from out of state. You get him all the other times. Move on and learn what real battles are and pick those to fight.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:45 AM

316 posts, read 849,516 times
It's hard to evaluate this one incident without context of your entire relationship. Ex. Does he frequently do what he wants without consulting you? Would he be OK if you did want you want without consulting him?

Old 12-27-2009, 05:12 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
I think you were kinda both wrong and the guest too. Its wrong to just plop yourself into someone's day and stay there for a long time. Its rude to do this to couples/family especially. But your guy may of said not to worry about it because that is what you said.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:45 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,114,593 times
You went into the other room. You could have stayed and joined in the fun. Instead you chose to distance yourself. WHy would he think you wanted to participate? I agree with Onglet: send an apology text and if you want to be included next time, stay in the room.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:51 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
OP has already started another thread about the significance/importance of dating on New Year's Eve. Sigh.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:16 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post
First christmas with new boyfriend. We see eachother nightly so we don't really make plans. We didn't discuss christmas together or not, it was understood we would spend holiday together. We got eachother gifts, etc. So last night, he has a friend call him who is in town. without discussion, he says the guy's going to come over. I say ok, would have said ok if asked, too. But they did thier guy thing all night. I went to the other room right away for some quiet, but not once did my boyfriend check on me. I was very upset by this becasue I thought it was rude. When I told him how I felt, he said I was wrong, he thought I was sleeping and he didn't know christmas was important to me. My friend says I was wrong (I am surprised that is why Im asking here.) and that I should text him - he had to go into the office for a few hours and say something along the lines of lets make plans for tonight. I am thinking to just leave him alone and let him text me. Just looking for feedback- was I out of line? , and if I was, should i then be the one to send him a nice mesage? thank-you.
That Christmas evening is now in the past and can never be recaptured. Move away from asking, "was I out of line or was he?". Spend your energy thinking about how you will avoid similar episodes in the future.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:52 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
I don't think you have a problem here. He simply DIDN'T KNOW. It was something that slipped through the process (communication), and let me tell ya, men are NOT good mind-readers. Plus, I agree with the poster that if his friend was someone he doesn't see often, you should accept it a little better.

When you disappeared into your room he probably assumed you went to sleep, or just thought you wanted to be there, so he had no concerns.

I think you should discuss it with him. You'd have a better idea from his reactions in the future. If you like him enough to keep things going, just learn to be specific when it comes to things like holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships