Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 09:10 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Yes, it CAN be a profession. Just like a lawyer, doctor, engineer...Just because I didn't go to school and make the same money as those people do, doesn't make it any different...
Simmer down for Gods sake. OK. Its a "profession."

Back on topic.....to the original question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 09:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
So I've been single since the "baby" and I ended on Nov 4th. I have recently had a one time FWB situation with a long time friend of mine who has been after me for several years. He was very happy with it..My end, not the worst but not the greatest but at least its something.

So I told him for Christmas that I wanted some sex for my present. He said fine. I ended up working yesterday and had a headache and was dead so I passed out last night. Today, I sent a very specific text suggesting the evening with specific details on the ending..His response was: wow. I talked to him a little later and he didn't mention one word about it and it didn't sound like it was going to happen..Any man would have killed for this text mesage..I don't get it
Maybe your friend gets his enjoyment out of the pursuit. Once he has attained his goal, his interests wanes. Many men are like that. You say that he has been "after you" for years. So when he finally wins the pot of gold, there is nothing there any longer to maintain his interest and it is off to the next challenge.

The other alternative to this scenario might be that he was hoping for more than just a sexual relationship. Maybe he has been hoping all these years that you will become more to each other than just FWB and now he wants to pursue a different path. Suddenly, sex is not the most important thing on his list with you. Maybe he feels a little used because secretly he has been madly in love with you since "forever" and doesn't want you to think of him as just a sex object.

Maybe you should just ask him.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-25-2009, 09:13 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, himain IS a dancer, as she prefers to put it. She doesn't hide it.

What is that supposed to mean--That "himain IS a dancer??"

I'm surprised at you too Sierra--You've given me numerous reps in the past as well..I bet you wouldn't have made that comment if I was in any other profession??? Does it make me less of a person because I choose to do this?? FYI, this isn't the first time you've heard me state I'm a dancer either so I don't know why you're being so rude and judgemental..

Old 12-25-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Simmer down for Gods sake. OK. Its a "profession."

Back on topic.....to the original question.

No I won't simmer down...I'm being attacked for something COMPLETELY off topic and I'm really surprised you have let this thread go this far..

Old 12-25-2009, 09:16 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,010,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
The English language is synonymous at large. I'd never cared much for it even though I'd mastered it since 3. One of the reasons I took pains to learn French and Latin.

A profession is a job. It fetches money. Tons of jobs we have in the 21st century were unimagined of, even 100 years earlier. Profession is an evolving entity. Much like the barter system, something is done in return for money.

If I have to put my corporate rat hat on, I'd very much call it a profession. In the world of analysis, it's just entities as such. And the OP's job has every trait of a profession. Those who deny it are just prejudiced against what she does.

There is something which existed much before "English" or pan-Victorian history. The Indians invented the art of professions and divisions based on professions. There is documentation of activity from as old as 20,000 BC. Of course, people disagree with it, but documentation is documentation.

People were divided based on jobs/professions - the priests, the warriors, the merchants, the upper labourers, the lowest labourers aka sutras.
Excellent analysis of the history. I'm thinking more of the relevance as a profession of today, I suppose. I don't think that the career in question requires a theoretical knowledge base, several years of education or a period of post-educational training, and I'm not certain if exotic dancers have to be licensed. Again, self-governance and professional organizations are widely thought to be two of the most important principles.

In any case, I had no intention of denigrating the OPs chosen line of work. I reread my posts and do no find that I said anything derogatory about the field. I think that if you asked a group of people who went to professional schools, sat for examinations, maintain licensure and continuing education requirements, they might feel that exotic dancing, while a respectable and lucrative career, does not meet the stringent standards of a profession. It was not my intent to denigrate the OP or anyone else. If I have offended, may I offer my apologies.

For those who feel I am arrogant, I am very well educated and proud of it. I bartended my way through undergrad and have paid for both of my graduate programs completely 100% on my own despite being an ethnic minority, a woman, and eligible for financial aid. You can dislike the words I use, but I earned my education and I am unafraid to speak in full sentences.

3,440 posts, read 8,037,773 times
Quote:
Ok wait a second here..I leave and come back and there's 5 pages of bashing me and my line of work???

Sadly, this is a re-occurring theme in the relationship section of CD (and the internet at large). It was demonstrated in another woman's post who was just looking for help dealing with her sick husband. Some people on here have no consideration, they are judgmental, and they tend to make joke time/humor out of other peoples problems which are very real!

I think some kind of internet etiquette is in order and people surfing the net need to realize that there are human emotions connected to the screen names irrespective of the fact that all of us are anonymous.

Himain, I don't know you, but judging by your words, I have the utmost respect for you.

Morph01

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
What is that supposed to mean--That "himain IS a dancer??"

I'm surprised at you too Sierra--You've given me numerous reps in the past as well..I bet you wouldn't have made that comment if I was in any other profession??? Does it make me less of a person because I choose to do this?? FYI, this isn't the first time you've heard me state I'm a dancer either so I don't know why you're being so rude and judgemental..
WTH?! I just confirmed you were a dancer because Rakin evidently didn't know and wanted proof. I don't see anything rude and judgmental about it. It actually comes to show that you have hang-ups about it regardless of what you claim.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:17 PM

52,198 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
WTH?! I just confirmed you were a dancer because Rakin evidently didn't know and wanted proof. I don't see anything rude and judgmental about it. It actually comes to show that you have hang-ups about it regardless of what you claim.
LOL, I was gonna jump in and say the same thing for you, but I figure you can handle your own battles.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:18 PM

No hang ups here...If I did have any, I would never admit it in the first place..

Old 12-25-2009, 09:19 PM

720 posts, read 1,407,778 times
I am not known for being very sensitive on here, but Himain is right, you guys are being harsh, rude and very judgemental. Even I don't take things that far, and I am a down right biatch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships