Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 11:36 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times

Advertisements

I guess it is ok to marry for convenience. I mean there is a long history of that. But I do know a couple who married for health benefits. They have been married for over 10 years and live completely separate lives, but they both seem content with the arrangement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 11:39 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
There's an interesting story on CNN about a woman marring her SO so he could have health insurance. Do you know people who have done this and how did it all work out?

I know several. One woman was dying of cancer and she married a good friend so he could get her pension after she died. Another friend I know was gay and couldn't get benefits under his SO's plan. They worked out a deal with a lesbian couple and both partners got married to one of the lesbian women. It worked out well and they eventually decided to have children together.
More and more companies are starting to recognize domestic partnerships among gays as well as hetro people.

I used to work for a forturn 200 company and they are starting offer benefits to non married spouses.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:41 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
More and more companies are starting to recognize domestic partnerships among gays as well as hetro people.

I used to work for a forturn 200 company and they are starting offer benefits to non married spouses.
Yeah, I posted a link to the Fortune/Forbe's top 100 places to work for on page one and all of them offer same sex or Domestic Partner health benefits. I was pretty suprised by the number of them that do.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:30 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I guess it is ok to marry for convenience. I mean there is a long history of that. But I do know a couple who married for health benefits. They have been married for over 10 years and live completely separate lives, but they both seem content with the arrangement.
Yeah, I guess it's okay for a man and woman to marry for just the benefits, but two people of the same sex shouldn't be allowed to marry for love. I'm not arguing with you, BTW. I just hate the hypocrisy behind marriage laws in most of the states in the U.S. At least most large companies are offering domestic partner benefits.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:33 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
It's stupid and a shame that gays and lesbians have to resort to this kind of manipulation of the system to get the same basic rights that heterosexual couples get. Until gays and lesbians are finally treated equally under law, I say they do what your friend did.
If they lived in San Francisco or many other Bay Area cities they would be covered... it's the law.

Where I work... they offer no benefits for spouse or dependants... gay or straight.

If you want additional coverage... you have to pay the full amount.

Currently its spllit 40% for the employee and 60% employer... for additioanl coverage the employee pays 100% deducted from their check.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:17 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
It's not uncommon and also more and more companies are offering health benefits to Domestic Partners and same sex domestic partners.
True.

My best friend and her husband only got married a year ago but they've been getting benefits because they had been living together for over 10 years.

My boyfriend has been considering doing the same thing with me, but we don't live together anymore.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:26 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertysFate View Post
True.

My best friend and her husband only got married a year ago but they've been getting benefits because they had been living together for over 10 years.

My boyfriend has been considering doing the same thing with me, but we don't live together anymore.
It wasn't all that long ago the only way to make it was as a couple...

It was near impossible for a single parent to raise a child in the 1930's... many gave up their kids because it was the only way...

Did you have the benefits or did he???

Old 12-27-2009, 08:33 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
Well, my husband and I lived together for 13 years before we finally tied the knot. I was the one who happened to have good benefits through my employer, he did not.

I decided that after 13 years, we should just make things easier all-around for us by including him in my insurance and having easier access to anything else I'd leave behind if I die first. That was in '96, before insurance companies started to accept domestic partners. (I never thought they would, quite frankly.) I'm glad we did, as it gave us a more "secure" feeling about our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships