Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:17 AM

19,386 posts, read 15,220,746 times

Advertisements

Last night we ran into one of our friends. She would do anything for you, but she's not the most diplomatic person in the world. She was talking to an older woman, someone she's known for years, and the woman was talking about how she had just tried a new hairstyle and wasn't sure if it looked good on her or not.

Our friend told her it did. It kind of went back and forth like that for a minute. Then our friend says, "Honestly, it looks better than it has in years."

I was cringing inside. And the woman kind of paused and looked at our friend. It was almost comical. I felt bad for the woman, but she handled it very graciously and glossed over it.

LOL, do you know someone like this? Not someone who intentionally insults someone, but they just tend to blurt things out or are brutally honest? Have they dished out a particularly stinging backhanded compliment to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 11:25 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,134 times
I have to laugh and raise my hand - I've given out these comments, plus received them. (I'm working on being a better person!)

I've worked in quite a few places where there were women such as this one. I can't remember the particular comments, but I do remember that I avoided them like the plague after several repeated incidents to me and to others. And it seems like a personal chemistry thing, because other people (for some reason) seem to like these women!

A few men do it too, but not as often as the women do. Seems to be a female trait, in my experience.

Ugh!

Old 12-28-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I have to laugh and raise my hand - I've given out these comments, plus received them. (I'm working on being a better person!)

I've worked in quite a few places where there were women such as this one. I can't remember the particular comments, but I do remember that I avoided them like the plague after several repeated incidents to me and to others. And it seems like a personal chemistry thing, because other people (for some reason) seem to like these women!

A few men do it too, but not as often as the women do. Seems to be a female trait, in my experience.

Ugh!
I know, it doesn't seem to bother anyone else! Guess I'm too sensitive.

I think all of us have put our foot in our mouth at one time or another, but she's pretty consistent.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:36 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,178,879 times
only time I get to take a couple lumps from something like this is when my SO will change up the hair or something, perhaps a make-up thing and then ask me what do you think? or do you like it?

Well I have to say once in a while thank god my answer is genuine and yes and sometimes I still remain honest and tell her that I liked the other way better nice but I liked it better the other way

Old 12-28-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl-r View Post
only time I get to take a couple lumps from something like this is when my SO will change up the hair or something, perhaps a make-up thing and then ask me what do you think? or do you like it?

Well I have to say once in a while thank god my answer is genuine and yes and sometimes I still remain honest and tell her that I liked the other way better nice but I liked it better the other way
I think that's okay. If I ask my SO, I really DO want an honest opinion, because I don't want to go out in public looking like a fool!

In the case of my friend, I think it was just the extremity of the comment, "hasn't looked this good IN YEARS!" LOL.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I know, it doesn't seem to bother anyone else! Guess I'm too sensitive.

I think all of us have put our foot in our mouth at one time or another, but she's pretty consistent.
Maybe you just see it faster than everyone else?

It's good to "weed" these people out sooner than later, and get them out of the way...let others discover what you found out previously... Then you're on to happier times with other people...I swear, that is how it works.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Maybe you just see it faster than everyone else?

It's good to "weed" these people out sooner than later, and get them out of the way...let others discover what you found out previously... Then you're on to happier times with other people...I swear, that is how it works.
Well, as I said, I really don't think she's trying to hurt anybody, believe it or not, although it does bring up the old saying, "With friends like these, who needs enemies?" But I agree with you, I just don't associate with "poisonous" people, or whatever you want to call them. The only ones I haven't managed to wriggle out of seeing, now, are certain in-laws.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Well, as I said, I really don't think she's trying to hurt anybody, believe it or not, although it does bring up the old saying, "With friends like these, who needs enemies?" But I agree with you, I just don't associate with "poisonous" people, or whatever you want to call them. The only ones I haven't managed to wriggle out of seeing, now, are certain in-laws.
I hear you about the in-laws!

I just think from experience, these backhanded complimenters play the dumb card when it comes to,"Oh, did I hurt your little feelings?" Yet, they keep on doing it and doing it and doing it...

Then there's that saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results...

Depending on what atmosphere you're in, you try and keep away from these folks or manage a safe distance.

But I think some of them know exactly what they're doing and if somebody gets hurt in the process, they whip out the innocent card and bat their eyes accordingly. Again from a woman's experience. A man may tell you differently.

We have a LOT of animated discussions in my family over this very same subject. The men in my family don't think the woman is doing any harm. My mother and I take the other road in this.

It's a gender thing, I think.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:02 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Last night we ran into one of our friends. She would do anything for you, but she's not the most diplomatic person in the world. She was talking to an older woman, someone she's known for years, and the woman was talking about how she had just tried a new hairstyle and wasn't sure if it looked good on her or not.

Our friend told her it did. It kind of went back and forth like that for a minute. Then our friend says, "Honestly, it looks better than it has in years."

I was cringing inside. And the woman kind of paused and looked at our friend. It was almost comical. I felt bad for the woman, but she handled it very graciously and glossed over it.

LOL, do you know someone like this? Not someone who intentionally insults someone, but they just tend to blurt things out or are brutally honest? Have they dished out a particularly stinging backhanded compliment to you?
"If it works for you..."
"If you like that sort of thing..."

Are these the kind of comments you mean? I once told a girlfriend that her hair looked alright--in a Kajagoogoo/Flock of Seagulls kinda way (New Wave bands).

I've often told people, "You're okay, I don't care what (insert someone's name here) says about you." Sometimes they ask me what was said about them. I can then honestly say, "If I don't care, how would I know?"

Old 12-28-2009, 12:03 PM

52,199 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
I hear you about the in-laws!

I just think from experience, these backhanded complimenters play the dumb card when it comes to,"Oh, did I hurt your little feelings?" Yet, they keep on doing it and doing it and doing it...

Then there's that saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results...

Depending on what atmosphere you're in, you try and keep away from these folks or manage a safe distance.

But I think some of them know exactly what they're doing and if somebody gets hurt in the process, they whip out the innocent card and bat their eyes accordingly. Again from a woman's experience. A man may tell you differently.

We have a LOT of animated discussions in my family over this very same subject. The men in my family don't think the woman is doing any harm. My mother and I take the other road in this.

It's a gender thing, I think.
I think to some degree it is a gender thing. Men aren't so penalized for being more direct. Its a "man" thing to be strong and somewhat aggressive. I think woman are taught to be more "subtle" and not to be so "manly".

JMHO of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships