Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 11:05 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,011,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
North!
I finished high school there, and did undergrad at UNC. I miss NC, kinda.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
In Denver, yeah. Denver is pretty diverse, though not as diverse as New York.

But I live in the suburbs, the mini cities which are like 15 minutes away from Denver.

I hit upon Greenwood Village for ridiculous reasons

People think I'm nuts coz this is how I chose the place. I landed in Denver and went to sleep in the room my company booked. I wikied for CO cities and hit on Greenwood Village. It had a picture which FLOORED me

It's actually here, the picture of the mountains.
Greenwood Village, Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I drove to Greenwood Village for the first time. And was gonna find the first apartment community. Instead my eyes fell on something more attractive, the greenwood athletic club. So I went in there and joined right away. Easily the best gym I have ever been to. After some cardio, I went about and found an apartment community like 5 minutes from the gym

Later I came to know the place was fully white and also posh, a place which the transplants avoid to cut costs. But it was already too late coz I had moved in But the people have been cool.
That is fantastic. I love it! "Greenwood Village" sounds very clean, recycle-ish, bike-friendly to me. It's awesome how you chose the place. I don't agonize over a lot of decisions that most people would consider "big"... I tend to be a bit impulsive in that regard. Sometimes you just get a feel for a place (or a person or whatever) and you just have to go with it.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:17 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
It's FREEZING here. It was 17 when I woke up this morning, the news said it's supposed to get up to 42, but I'm skeptical. I guess I'll see when the dog has to go out
Eh, I don't wake up to 70s, either...

Old 01-11-2010, 11:22 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
That is fantastic. I love it! "Greenwood Village" sounds very clean, recycle-ish, bike-friendly to me. It's awesome how you chose the place. I don't agonize over a lot of decisions that most people would consider "big"... I tend to be a bit impulsive in that regard. Sometimes you just get a feel for a place (or a person or whatever) and you just have to go with it.
The place is just perfect. I mean, they have parks in every corner, you can see the mountains with the geese walking around. They have equestrian clubs with folks horsing on the road. The apartment I live in only costs 650 or so a month, on a 6 month lease.

Since I didn't commit to any, they put me on month to month which is slightly higher.

This place is like paradise Anywhere I drive, I see the snow clad mountains, folks jogging, kids playing. It's just cool.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:33 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
Quote:
It's FREEZING here. It was 17 when I woke up this morning, the news said it's supposed to get up to 42, but I'm skeptical. I guess I'll see when the dog has to go out
The dogs are always our gauge as well

Old 01-11-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
The place is just perfect. I mean, they have parks in every corner, you can see the mountains with the geese walking around. They have equestrian clubs with folks horsing on the road. The apartment I live in only costs 650 or so a month, on a 6 month lease.

Since I didn't commit to any, they put me on month to month which is slightly higher.

This place is like paradise Anywhere I drive, I see the snow clad mountains, folks jogging, kids playing. It's just cool.
I would expect your rent to be much higher. That's very reasonable. Of course, since there are younger people there, apartment rents have to stay competitive.

Where I live has a tremendous seasonal fluctuation in population. The population nearly doubles in the winter months. Many people own homes here and rent them during the winter months for anywhere from 1500 - up. It's hard to find a year-round rental. There are very few apartment complexes - and the few here are less than desirable. There are few middle-class people here...there are the rich or the retired and those that work for them, in one way or another. No industry, no university, very few opportunities for young professionals.

I live about five miles from the beach, on a few acres. Lots of horses, etc here too. Obviously no snow-covered anything. I am very jealous of your climate!

I shall go to sleep tonight and dream of my own little Greenwood Village somewhere...lately I am looking at New Zealand or Ecuador... zzzzzz

Old 01-11-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I would expect your rent to be much higher. That's very reasonable. Of course, since there are younger people there, apartment rents have to stay competitive.

Where I live has a tremendous seasonal fluctuation in population. The population nearly doubles in the winter months. Many people own homes here and rent them during the winter months for anywhere from 1500 - up. It's hard to find a year-round rental. There are very few apartment complexes - and the few here are less than desirable. There are few middle-class people here...there are the rich or the retired and those that work for them, in one way or another. No industry, no university, very few opportunities for young professionals.

I live about five miles from the beach, on a few acres. Lots of horses, etc here too. Obviously no snow-covered anything. I am very jealous of your climate!

I shall go to sleep tonight and dream of my own little Greenwood Village somewhere...lately I am looking at New Zealand or Ecuador... zzzzzz
Renting is such a pain for guys like me who move to a new city with a new long term assignment

My company reimburses like 1500 dollars but it's a pain to find a house and settle in And the worst part about these apartments is their insane policy of lease breach, like 2 months of rent if you are to leave. When I left north carolina, we were forced to pay the penalty or it goes into the renter's history. Month to month is the only option and ufortunately, month to month is like unfair rent for a one bedroom

If not for healthcare and ridiculous real estate, the US is one heck of a place to live in.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Renting is such a pain for guys like me who move to a new city with a new long term assignment

My company reimburses like 1500 dollars but it's a pain to find a house and settle in And the worst part about these apartments is their insane policy of lease breach, like 2 months of rent if you are to leave. When I left north carolina, we were forced to pay the penalty or it goes into the renter's history. Month to month is the only option and ufortunately, month to month is like unfair rent for a one bedroom

If not for healthcare and ridiculous real estate, the US is one heck of a place to live in.
Right. Were you in the Triangle area of NC - just guessing because I don't know exactly what you do- smart young people tend to live in RDU or if you're in banking, Charlotte. I lived in NC for a long time - how do you find CO as compared to NC? That will give me some means of comparison.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Right. Were you in the Triangle area of NC - just guessing because I don't know exactly what you do- smart young people tend to live in RDU or if you're in banking, Charlotte. I lived in NC for a long time - how do you find CO as compared to NC? That will give me some means of comparison.
Banker boys live in Charlotte

NC was great coz the job was awesome. They're really atop the fortune 500 ladder and it never bores. CO is boring to me in a job sense coz the corporations here are like 25 years lagging behind their east coast financial counterparts, which sucks. In the East Coast, it's very mechanical and professional. Here, folks arrange pot lucks, they know each other's names, birthday parties in the office, it's sort of whacked out

Living wise, it's the same as Charlotte, apartment communities, strip malls, people's natures, people are friendlier probably.

But it's been less expensive, compared to Charlotte, especially the groceries.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Banker boys live in Charlotte

NC was great coz the job was awesome. They're really atop the fortune 500 ladder and it never bores. CO is boring to me in a job sense coz the corporations here are like 25 years lagging behind their east coast financial counterparts, which sucks. In the East Coast, it's very mechanical and professional. Here, folks arrange pot lucks, they know each other's names, birthday parties in the office, it's sort of whacked out

Living wise, it's the same as Charlotte, apartment communities, strip malls, people's natures, people are friendlier probably.

But it's been less expensive, compared to Charlotte, especially the groceries.
Gotcha. Kinda sucks for you about the job situation BUT otherwise not too bad. I never was crazy about Charlotte anyway. I was raised in the south and there are some things I really enjoyed about it but many people say they find the people friendlier in the south... I don't think that's necessarily true. I think they are friendly if you fit in, look like them etc. In the smaller towns where I lived, they were a little more standoffish. Used to be much more pronounced when I was a kid.

Somebody actually BURNED a CROSS beside our house when I was 14 or so. Maybe that's why I'm looking for a place that's a bit more diverse...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships