Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 04:42 AM

195 posts, read 293,744 times

Advertisements

The following post is completely honest and sincere:

My fathers Mother, who died before I was born, hated sex, but had two children. She was told by her mother that it was a sin to actually enjoy sex and it was a dirty ugly nasty act that was strictly for attempting to have children. She was told that it was her role as a woman to have children and be a mother, but she did not have to like sex, pregnancy, or motherhood.

My father was brought up with this tradition passed down through the generations. He did not want to have sex and felt ill at ease about it and only did it to attempt to get my mother pregnant. He did not really want to father children but was told by his mother that having children was a responsibility of all married couples.

Now it is the modern time but I still have a feeling that we need to have children and I have to have sex with my wife so that she will get pregnant so we can full fill out obligation to society and continue our family. But I really do not like having sex just like my father and grandfather.

Will this old fashioned thinking about sex, pregnancy and children go another generation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 06:11 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
Weekend Traveler, I find it hard to pay attention to a thread from you or anyone else which starts off with such a sentence!

Old 12-29-2009, 06:18 AM

195 posts, read 293,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I find it hard to pay attention to a thread from you or anyone else which starts off with such a sentence!
Yes, I know the story in my orginal post seems somewhat odd, but again it is true.

It would be great if there could be a honest discussion of how many people were in fact told that sex was just for child bearing purposes and it was a dirty nasty thing. If you look at history you will find that this was a common feeling back in the 1800s and I am sure other people have brought this idea on through the generations.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:44 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Yes, I know the story in my orginal post seems somewhat odd, but again it is true.

It would be great if there could be a honest discussion of how many people were in fact told that sex was just for child bearing purposes and it was a dirty nasty thing. If you look at history you will find that this was a common feeling back in the 1800s and I am sure other people have brought this idea on through the generations.
Well, I know at least one on this forum, so he'll have a field day with your thread!

Old 12-29-2009, 06:49 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
EHH. Wrong answer, Weekend Traveler.
Sex was NOT thought of as 'dirty' or 'just for procreation' in history.

People liked it and had fun, even back so far as in Roman and Greek times.

Open a book sometime.

Sex in marriage was thought for 'procreation' to keep the line going (hence the need for kings to have legitimate 'in marriage' heirs).

They still had their mistresses who gave them children and great pleasure. So did many of the 'less regal people.'

If they felt they sinned, they confessed it to the priest then went back to doing it again.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:04 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
So you've adopted a multitude of persona's to compensate, hmmm
that explains it.

Quote:

My fathers Mother, who died before I was born, hated sex, but had two children. She was told by her mother that it was a sin to actually enjoy sex and it was a dirty ugly nasty act that was strictly for attempting to have children. She was told that it was her role as a woman to have children and be a mother, but she did not have to like sex, pregnancy, or motherhood.

My father was brought up with this tradition passed down through the generations. He did not want to have sex and felt ill at ease about it and only did it to attempt to get my mother pregnant. He did not really want to father children but was told by his mother that having children was a responsibility of all married couples.

Now it is the modern time but I still have a feeling that we need to have children and I have to have sex with my wife so that she will get pregnant so we can full fill out obligation to society and continue our family. But I really do not like having sex just like my father and grandfather.

Will this old fashioned thinking about sex, pregnancy and children go another generation?

Old 12-29-2009, 08:13 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
You know, there comes a point in one's life when they start thinking for themselves, they question what they've been taught. There are things my mom tried to instill in me growing up, but I just never bought into them. Example: You will have kids and you will have no choice in the matter. BS I told her. I only had to go along with it until I was grown up. Never did have them, an intentional decision on my part.

You're allowed to have sex without procreating. Your dad was/is simply WRONG.

Now start thinking for yourself and go get yourself some.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:28 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
While this does seem like yet another attention-begging thread, I'm kinda bored over here, so whatever.

#1 This isn't the 1800's so you needed think that that.
#2 You have no obligation to society to have children. You should only have them if you absolutely want them.
#3 Dont teach your kids backwards views about sex being only for procreating and it will never pass on. Simple as that.
#4 If you don't want to have sex with your wife, there are other ways. If sex and pregnancy is that repulsive to you, you could also adopt.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:30 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
per OP
i agree --but that is not what sex drive is for. sex drive is to prevent you from getting out of it.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Maybe that's how way back then they didn't have a child every 9 months.

There might have been very good reasons to teach that kind of thing. They didn't want to jump in the sack every chance they could and get it on just to have another mouth that would be hard to feed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships