Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 03:13 PM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times

Advertisements

What would be the consequences if marriage stopped being the standard expectation and there were many more lifelong singles? Society would have to adapt, it probably would not be the social taboo it is today because it would be a normal thing. It would be interesting. Relationship-wise, there would be much less pressure. I suspect there would be much better and more frequent parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 03:16 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What would be the consequences if marriage stopped being the standard expectation and there were many more lifelong singles? Society would have to adapt, it probably would not be the social taboo it is today because it would be a normal thing. It would be interesting. Relationship-wise, there would be much less pressure. I suspect there would be much better and more frequent parties.
Wouldn't ever happen. Children change everything.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:24 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
The economy of the industry would lose about $70 Billion plus a year just in the United States. Imagine if you added it up worldwide.

There are about 2.5 million weddings every year in the United States.

June is the most popular month for weddings, then August, followed by September and October.

The average budget for a wedding is estimated to be $24,000+.
So… about $40 BILLION is spent on weddings every year in the U.S.

There are a few people around who believe this number is as high as $70 BILLION a year.

A couple will spend an average of $3,800 for their honeymoon.
99% of newly married couples will plan and take a honeymoon.
(so multiply that number by 2.5 million)

Couples are waiting longer to get married.

The average age of the first time bride is 26, the first time groom 28.
The average household income of a newly married couple is $55,000/annually.

More than 115,000 weddings are performed in Las Vegas every year!

More than 20,000 weddings are performed in Hawaii every year.

The average wedding has 175 guests (invited).

A recent study indicates 1/2 of all brides will use a wedding consultant or wedding day coordinator.

Marketing to Brides Online, Internet Marketing for the Wedding Industry with Chris Jaeger

Old 12-30-2009, 03:36 PM

The money spent on marriage and couples related things would be shifted elsewhere. The industry is a rip-off and causes a lot of pain and debt.

People are wising up on overspending on weddings anyway and putting the money toward a house or something they need.

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
What would be the consequences if marriage stopped being the standard expectation and there were many more lifelong singles? Society would have to adapt, it probably would not be the social taboo it is today because it would be a normal thing.
It's already normal for those who don't feel the need to get married, and there are plenty of these people today. "Society" is invisible as far as they're concerned.

Quote:
It would be interesting. Relationship-wise, there would be much less pressure. I suspect there would be much better and more frequent parties.
YAY!!!!

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
People would just replace it with something else.

Just like now, couples who never yet or never bothered to marry will talk of "anniversaries", they celebrate them, they talk about cheating even though there was no marriage like it was adultery.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
It's already normal for those who don't feel the need to get married, and there are plenty of these people today. "Society" is invisible as far as they're concerned.
Older singles are social pariahs in general society. They may have a pack of other like minded people but there is a lot of discrimination ("why are you still single?") and pressure to marry. People think you are defective and don't believe it is a choice. They don't have that in Scandanavia, where marriage is not a big deal. I think it would be a good attitude to have in the U.S. as well.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:05 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Older singles are social pariahs in general society. They may have a pack of other like minded people but there is a lot of discrimination ("why are you still single?") and pressure to marry. People think you are defective and don't believe it is a choice. They don't have that in Scandanavia, where marriage is not a big deal. I think it would be a good attitude to have in the U.S. as well.
I agree. It's all over CD. There has to be something wrong with a person over 30 or 40 who has never been married. All I'm saying is that society is not as important as they may think. There are plenty of married people who could never hope to dream to aspire to be as happy and as worthy of said happiness as many of these single people. And these single people just don't care enough to stand up and make a statement about it.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:07 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
The biggest effects the phenomena you are talking about isn't in fact marriage its having children, and I don't think that will conceivably stop, if it does obviously we all know the results.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:22 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Wouldn't ever happen. Children change everything.

Hi SmerkyGrl,

Exactly, It takes two people to make a child. It does not matter if you are married or not. You are parents. If some sees having 3 children with 3 different people as a serene life....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships