Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 07:33 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times

Advertisements

I met somebody online about a year ago. we chat regularly and she seems nice.

We chat about anything and everything, but she opens up a lot to me and tells me stuff about her life, her worries and stuff. She even told me that her screen name on the website I met her (Facebook) is not her real name, and that she trusts me enough to tell me that.

The thing is she is quite pretty, but it's not just about looks, she seems very down to Earth and not full of herself because she is attractive.

I feel honoured that she trusts me in telling me her worries, but does this mean she will be open to meeting one day? I asked her to meet once, but I think because it's the internet she seems a bit guarded.

I don't want to push it in asking her, but since we are close online could we be close in the real world too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 07:37 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I don't want to push it in asking her, but since we are close online could we be close in the real world too?
Sure you can - provided the interest is mutual and geography convenient.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:39 PM

190 posts, read 493,164 times
I suggest setting a limit on how much pre-date investment you are willing to make. As a general rule, internet dating requires a moderate amount, meaning two to four weeks of "getting to know you." Then, once you meet, prepare to reset the clock. This reset is unique to internet dating. Best of luck.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactic_hombre View Post
I suggest setting a limit on how much pre-date investment you are willing to make. As a general rule, internet dating requires a moderate amount, meaning two to four weeks of "getting to know you." Then, once you meet, prepare to reset the clock. This reset is unique to internet dating. Best of luck.
My impression was they came across each other by chance, not on a dating site. I could be wrong.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
"she" could very well be a 40 year old truck driver living on castro st. in san francisco.
eharmony the liars guide to the galaxy.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:52 PM

190 posts, read 493,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
My impression was they came across each other by chance, not on a dating site. I could be wrong.
I may have misinterpreted or read in haste. However, I think "social networking" is often a euphemism for on-line dating. Also, I am concerned about the original poster's feelings--they need to be considered too. The status quo isn't cutting it after one year. He desires and deserves more. Intimacy (the relationship) may need to be renegotiated. Best of luck

Old 12-30-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactic_hombre View Post
I may have misinterpreted or read in haste. However, I think "social networking" is often a euphemism for on-line dating. Also, I am concerned about the original poster's feelings--they need to be considered too. The status quo isn't cutting it after one year. He desires and deserves more. Intimacy (the relationship) may need to be renegotiated. Best of luck
Well, it sounds like a casual online friendship to me. It's not like he's put his life on hold... If it happens, fine; if not, fine again.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:19 PM

190 posts, read 465,829 times
From my experience people are definitely not always what they appear to be online.
I've discovered if you're looking for romance on the net it's better to just meet people right from the get go rather than wasting any time getting to know someone you might not have any kind of connection with in real life.
I've met a few women that looked great in there profile pics that didn’t even look like the same person when we met. I also once met a Mormon woman with a PhD that gave it up 45 minutes into the first date and then confessed to being married a couple weeks later.
You just never know when it comes to meeting people online.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:13 PM

42 posts, read 78,057 times
Is anyone else concerned about this woman using a fake name on facebook? She obviously wants to conceal her identity and there usually aren't benign reasons for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1979 View Post
I also once met a Mormon woman with a PhD that gave it up 45 minutes into the first date and then confessed to being married a couple weeks later.
I met a man in my hometown who asked me to marry him after a month and then found out he had a pregnant wife in a different state. Yes, be weary of people you meet online and people you meet in person . . .

Listen to your gut; if you feel like you should meet her in person then do it.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:17 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Is this "her"?

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 10:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships