Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 05:55 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times

Advertisements

I'm reading a book - God is a Woman: Dating Disasters by comedian Ian Coburn. It's a fun and easy read and yet it's packed with truths! It would make a great gift for all our clueless boys!

There are many topics worth discussing, but I'll focus on mystery and evasiveness as that's the first time I see it worded this way and it definitely makes sense to me.

Here are a few excerpts:

I also followed all the other lessons I've listed, like keeping things light and flirting a lot, not just during the initial meeting, but through first dates as well, even when women tried to be serious. Women call this "being mysterious." Oh-ooh. Dating articles and books always advise men to be mysterious to get women, but they don't typically define it or state why it works. Basically, being mysterious meant that women had to work to find out anything real about me. It didn't mean that I had a cool job, strange habits, or that I disappeared to somewhere unknown for hours at a time.

Really, this strategy is misnamed mysterious. A better name would be evasive. All I did was dodge questions while making jokes.

"What are your goals, Ian?"

"Well, after I finish this beer, I plan to kiss you."

The woman would laugh, "I mean your long-term goals."

"Oh, well, sex isn't out of the question, if you play your cards right."

Again, a laugh. That's what women call mysterious. Men call it evasive. I've learned that's a key difference between men and women; we both call the same things by different names.

I think I should've been born a man! I pretty much operate the same way dodging dumb questions and as much as I hate prying and stupid boring questions on dates, I think I'd make a great Casanova!

I wouldn't mind typing some more, but it's probably gonna be against the rules...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 06:01 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,029,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'm reading a book - God is a Woman: Dating Disasters by comedian Ian Coburn. It's a fun and easy read and yet it's packed with truths! It would make a great gift for all our clueless boys!

There are many topics worth discussing, but I'll focus on mystery and evasiveness as that's the first time I see it worded this way and it definitely makes sense to me.

Here are a few excerpts:

I also followed all the other lessons I've listed, like keeping things light and flirting a lot, not just during the initial meeting, but through first dates as well, even when women tried to be serious. Women call this "being mysterious." Oh-ooh. Dating articles and books always advise men to be mysterious to get women, but they don't typically define it or state why it works. Basically, being mysterious meant that women had to work to find out anything real about me. It didn't mean that I had a cool job, strange habits, or that I disappeared to somewhere unknown for hours at a time.

Really, this strategy is misnamed mysterious. A better name would be evasive. All I did was dodge questions while making jokes.

"What are your goals, Ian?"

"Well, after I finish this beer, I plan to kiss you."

The woman would laugh, "I mean your long-term goals."

"Oh, well, sex isn't out of the question, if you play your cards right."

Again, a laugh. That's what women call mysterious. Men call it evasive. I've learned that's a key difference between men and women; we both call the same things by different names.

I think I should've been born a man! I pretty much operate the same way dodging dumb questions and as much as I hate prying and stupid boring questions on dates, I think I'd make a great Casanova!

I wouldn't mind typing some more, but it's probably gonna be against the rules...

LOL please do type more!! I have to admit that I do this too sometimes. I like to have a little fun with my words

Old 01-02-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
LOL please do type more!!
I think I'll get slapped...

Old 01-02-2010, 06:10 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
I'm fine with people telling me things on their own time, but this would annoy me if it went on for too long.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I have to admit that I do this too sometimes. I like to have a little fun with my words
Btw, even though it's supposedly a male technique, me thinks it works just fine for us, too! All people are lil' curious Georges really...

Old 01-02-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I'm fine with people telling me things on their own time, but this would annoy me if it went on for too long.
Well, that's normally something people do in the initial stages of the game. Yes, it is a game, as much as some resent the term or are in denial about it.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:14 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,668,250 times
I would answer this thread but I'm trying to be mysterious and evasive.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I would answer this thread but I'm trying to be mysterious and evasive.
Afraid that's not the way to do it, Chow!

Old 01-02-2010, 06:18 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,029,958 times
Quote:
Btw, even though it's supposedly a male technique, me thinks it works just fine for us, too! All people are lil' curious Georges really...
I have to say that it doesn't work over text though. Then all you get back are those cryptic "i dnt undrstnd????"

Old 01-02-2010, 06:19 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Afraid that's not the way to do it, Chow!

I've got no game, as the kids say......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships